PDA

View Full Version : to laminate or not to laminate...

jadavi
13-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Hi I was thinking of asking for one for xmas as people on here have said how useful they are. Can you tell me what you use it for?

Cheers
ja

SammyM
13-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Errr almost everything!! Infact the children have each designed a placemat today that I've laminated and they're taking home to use for their christmas dinner!!!

Allie
13-12-2011, 02:23 PM
I love mine, my daughter has just used it to make adverts for her business, I have used it for display items, to make a sign in photo sheet (kids move picture of self onto display when they come in and remove when they go) I laminated photos to mark pegs, towels and also to label boxes, I have made a variety of games, using the laminator to make them sturdier, I also laminate special photo's in A4 size to display:)

Allie

Mouse
13-12-2011, 02:28 PM
As well as the things others have mentioned, we've laminated leaves we collected on a nature walk and put in a box. We use them for all sorts - counting, matching shapes, sorting into sizes etc.

I often laminate pictures that the children have made as they last longer.

Penny1959
13-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Could not be without mine - all the things mentioned and more.

Just be warned if you have one for Christmas - ask for a couple of hundred laminating sheets as well

Penny :)

loocyloo
13-12-2011, 03:21 PM
:clapping: LOVE my laminater !!! :clapping:

i use it for everything ... my children always say 'don't stand still for too long or mummy will laminate you' !!!! :laughing:

i second ****** advice to ask for laminating sheets as well !!!:blush: they always run out too quickly !!!

mama2three
13-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Glad Im not the only forum laminatrix!

JulieA
13-12-2011, 03:39 PM
If it doesn't move laminate it!!!!! That's my motto. As well as all the other suggestions I have laminated matching cards, made our own dominoes and jigsaws. The laminating makes them tougher so they last longer.

babs
13-12-2011, 04:00 PM
I to lamiate lots photos, paintings,picture leaves even a bug.. lol

QualityCare
13-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Love it, can't imagine how l managed without one use it for lots of things cards etc l make, childrens bits posters, labels.

When l saw the heading l thought you meant the floor!!

Bluebell
13-12-2011, 04:47 PM
i laminated all my parent posters and certificates and my liability insurance. I also laminate play money to make it last longer. mine was only about £8 and it does the job just as well.

Cammie Doodle
13-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Carolyn is the queen of Laminating :laughing: :laughing:

watgem
13-12-2011, 04:48 PM
brilliant, I love mine, just be careful putting glittery things in though lol I blew my first up doing that! I thought you meant the floor as well:)

Bluebell
13-12-2011, 05:02 PM
oh no really?? Watgem I was going to laminate some glittery tree decorations with photos of the children on and now am having second thoughts - I love my laminator toooo much to blow it up!

karensmart4
13-12-2011, 06:33 PM
I am waiting for my 3rd laminator to arrive, I've melted my 1st two with over use :eek:
bless, one of my sets of parents brought me theirs in to use so I wouldn't go into meltdown without one :laughing:
Today I have used it to laminate the poems for our Reindeer food and to cover a heading poster for our display board.
(I'm trying not to use it too much in case I break theirs too).

Monkey26
13-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Do it! I LOVE my laminator :D I laminate...
* all my posters for the notice board inc ofsted & insurance certificates
* play money notes
* lots of photos for the photo board
* special arts & crafts - like a kids first piece with me or handprints at special times - christmas, mothers day etc etc
* labels (labels for anything and everything!)
* business ads
And those are just the work related things i can think of right this second :clapping: xx

Chimps Childminding
13-12-2011, 06:59 PM
I love ours :blush: anything that can be laminated is :D My kids joke that if they stayed still long enough (and would fit through the slot) I would laminate them :laughing:

Tatjana
13-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Today I used mine to laminate some hand prints plus photo, then stuck a small calendar to it, something for the parents to have.

miffy
13-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Just be warned if you have one for Christmas - ask for a couple of hundred laminating sheets as well

Penny :)

This is good advice! :thumbsup:

Once you start you'll soon get the bug! :D

Miffy xx

jadavi
13-12-2011, 09:24 PM
sorry still not totally convinced....the photos we print are on good photo paper so no need to laminate those... I don't really see the need to laminate ofsted cert and public liability certs etc, i don't really see the point of laminating headings and labels as the kids cant read anyway and I dont need them myself..art work? naah, I like them on paper! sorry to be a downer but i think its a bit institutionalised to have plastic notices everywhere and don't really want to look like a nursery.
thanks for the input and no offence intended,,,,
I like the placemats idea but its a one off really....

...still open to being convinced however if anyone has any other uses.:)

Daisy1956
13-12-2011, 09:32 PM
I laminate all kinds of things, mats to use with play dough, placemats, i make my own dominoes, snap, lacing cards, number lines, teddy to dress all can then be used over and over again for a small cost.

Tealady
13-12-2011, 09:46 PM
If they invented recyclable pouches I might consider it but not keen on the idea of coating paper in plastic.

That said I probably do other things that are just as bad for the environment.:o

keeks
13-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Hi I was thinking of asking for one for xmas as people on here have said how useful they are. Can you tell me what you use it for?

Cheers
ja

I laminate EVERYTHING! I make signs, games, pictures and photos for language development etc. I laminate children's names, other words, words for tracing, leaves, flowers, drawings my children make... I only draw the line at the hamster - he has not yet been laminated! :D

DO IT - YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!!!

xx

PixiePetal
13-12-2011, 10:09 PM
I laminate pics to put up for different seasons - autumn pics/snow pics from magazines etc, they would never last if not. I keep them in plastic wallets and re use each year.

Leaves - laminated then stuck on windows for decorations - then filed till autumn again

playdoh mats - very well used here

labels for toy boxes

some childrens pics to display - hate curly edges on paper :o

bus and train tickets (bought small pouches for those) for role play - they last for ages. Also other tickets - London Eye/theatre etc. We often play bus rides on the sofa :)

I didn't think I would use it much but I do. I get pouches from cheap shops or when on offer.

Toothfairy
14-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Believe me, once you have Laminated you will never go back :laughing:

Laminator and a Pogo printer, what more could a CM want :thumbsup:

nannysue
14-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Errr almost everything!! Infact the children have each designed a placemat today that I've laminated and they're taking home to use for their christmas dinner!!!

Snap !! we made ours on Monday :thumbsup:

Laminating is brilliant for containing glitter !!!

Hope you find one in your Christmas stocking Ja,