PDA

View Full Version : Child sick...48hr exclusion

JCrakers
13-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Morning all,
Quick question...I have the answer firmly in my head but my heart keeps trying to answer....:angry:

I was ill on Friday, sick thurs night and in bed all day Friday. Had to cancel a mindee on friday as I couldnt work. Only due to have 1 mindee so it landed on the correct day. I now need to refund the parent which is in my contract. Felt fine by Sat afternoon.
Monday morning - 3 Mindees arrive and Mum says 2 of them were also sick on Friday so I know I caught it from them.
When I pick up one of the boys from school yesterday, he said he felt sick. Looks bad so when we get back to my house I sit him on the step with a bucket. Ring both parents who dont answer and meanwhile mindee is sick in the bucket.

Mum arrives to pick him up an hour and a half later and I explain the 48hr exclusion which she is fine with. This morning she says he was sick once when he got in last night but has since them been fine. Full of life but says his throat hurts. She seems to think that because he had the bug on Friday, its his cough that made him sick and questions the 48hr exclusion asking me if I can have him Wednesday. Now I feel really bad :angry: but I need to stick to the 48hr exclusion dont I?

I dont want to be ill again, niether does my hubbie (he has a few xmas dinners at work..lol)
Also I dont get paid if I am ill which is the annoying thing as when I am ill its what ive caught of the kids.
I just have to keep reminding myself to be firm....its soooo hard

Velleity
13-12-2011, 11:58 AM
48 hour exclusion is for a very good reason.
I would stick with it or next time she might question it again, and again.

Mouse
13-12-2011, 12:05 PM
With regard to the 48 notice period, quote from the HPA guidance (and from your policy if it's the same). It clearly states 48hrs from the last bout of vomiting. Be firm. You know mindee said they were feeling sick after school and you were there when he was sick, so know it wasn't just because of the cough. Explain that you have to protect yourself, your family and your other mindees, so you will be enforcing the rule.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374

Mouse
13-12-2011, 12:09 PM
If you were sick Thursday & mindee was sick Friday, what makes you so sure you caught it from them? Surely they could have caught it from you?

I wouldn't mention anything to mum about her children giving it to you. If she's being funny about keeping them off anyway, she might not take kindly for being blamed for making you ill :thumbsup:

JCrakers
13-12-2011, 12:16 PM
If you were sick Thursday & mindee was sick Friday, what makes you so sure you caught it from them? Surely they could have caught it from you?

I wouldn't mention anything to mum about her children giving it to you. If she's being funny about keeping them off anyway, she might not take kindly for being blamed for making you ill :thumbsup:

No...I wasnt blaming anyone, someone was sent home from school with it in same class so its more likely I caught it from him.

miffy
13-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Stick to your rules - 48 hours exclusion - give in this time and you will get the same next time it happens.

Hope you don't pick up anything else

Miffy xx

watgem
13-12-2011, 12:54 PM
all but 2 of my mindees had this bug, 1 mum took LO to the doctor and said that he'd said it was the cough medicine she'd given him that made him sick, so I took him back because he appeared better, result me and my kids were ill all weekend so had to miss school/uni and a day off work, 1 mum reluctantly stuck to the 48 hour rule, then 2 mums -one a nurse:angry: delivered their children for the school run and said as they drove off in their cars"oh they've been sick yesterday" Nurse mum said the 48 hour rule was stupid because you could catch a bug standing in a queue in tesco-sooooo after the holiday I am re-doing my policy and hilighting the 48 hour rule and explaining why this rule is in place-although the nurse mum should know this-what really upset me that I was going to see a friend who is dying, but obviously couldn't and now I might not get the chance again. I know its very difficult for working parents when you're child is sick but I just think some of them are plain selfish and don't think about the consequences of their actions.

tulip0803
13-12-2011, 08:17 PM
You cannot guarantee that it was the cough that made him sick - it could be the same or another bug. My DD2 has been excluded from school in the past as she was sick in the car on the way (very long way round) to school - she suffers from bad travel sickness but I could not 100% guanantee it was travel sickness! I spent 2 days with a 7 year old thrilled not to be going to school and feeling absolutely fine as soon as she was out of the car! I was happy to go along as I would have been a hypocrite otherwise as I insist on the 48 hour rule and have added "48 hours after last bout of vomiting for whatever reason."

When queried I blame it on the government and that as a registered child care provider I have to follow their "rules".

little chickee
14-12-2011, 10:25 AM
To me sick is sick is sick.

Doesnt matter what the parent may think caused it 48 hour rule applies regardless.

I will not take the risk of myself or my kids getting ill.
I know parents dont like it but rules are there for a reason.

I agree that you should insist and let them know that this is not just one of your own wee rules but government guidelines that you MUST stick to.

dette
14-12-2011, 09:31 PM
I have to admit in the past i have sent my kids to school within the 48 period after being sick.Dont like them off school with out good reason and when they stop beig sick i just presumed the bug was gone.Now though one of my sons has developed diabetes and about a year ago he caught a sick bug.seemed ok kept him off 24 hour then sent him back to school.after he had his packed lunch he went hypo(low blood sugar)which normally only takes a little cup of lucozade to sort out but on this occasion it took 3 hours to restore him to normal.This was because his dinner hadnt been digested due to the bug and his insulin had forced his sugars dangerously low.Through this i have much more respect for the 48 hour rule .the bug is still there long after the vomiting stops even when they appear well.