PDA

View Full Version : Minded Child has Impetigo

JoRoger
13-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Hi, got my first 'illness' problem with my eldest minded, he and his brother have been coming to me since September and so far they have remained pretty healthy other than both having the usual coughs and colds etc.

I've just had a text from Dad saying that the eldest one (aged 4) has impetigo so he won't be with me today (I take over from the other childminder at school-pick up) and that I'll just have the youngest, who has just turned one.

In the text Dad has put "he may not be in tomorrow either depending on how well he responds to the treatment". I replied that I don't think it would be best that he attends tomorrow as I know it can take a long time to heal up - he isn't the most hygenic of children in that he's always picking his nose or picking at scabs and so on, so no doubt he's struggling with having to leave his impetigo patch alone. I'm not sure where the patch is but I'm guessing it may well be around his mouth as he has had a red 'lick' ring around his lips where he kept licking his mouth which then became chapped and sore in the cold weather, so I guess this is where the infection has got in. I also said in my text to Dad that the infection/bacteria for impetigo lives under the fingernails, so they'd need to be cut back and really scrubbed.

Anyway, I've got a feeling that unless I really put my foot down I'll be seeing him tomorrow and probably having him all day as the pre-school he attends in the morning will not let him in, their policy is that all infectious skin diseases must be gone before they'll let the child back in, and my policy says this too but as we all know, a lot of parents can push the boundaries more with CM's than they do pre-schools and nurseries. I really, really don't want this minded in contact with my own child or my OH, as he has diabetes and his immune system is really low in winter. How can I put my foot down with the parents? TBH they do sail quite close to the wind in terms of 'illness' as both children have come to me before with very bad coughs and colds, whereas to my mind they should have been at home with parents....Mum works full time but Dad works from home.

I shall ring my job-share childminder and see what she thinks, as although she's not having him until Friday I'm sure she'll be of the same opinion. Impetigo is the one thing I just will not go near as I've had it before, all over my body including the unmentionables, :blush: and it was just awful.

Tips on what you've done in these or other circumstances would be really appreciated :)

christine e
13-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Here is a link to Health Protection Agency advice for schools and childcare settings

http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374

this states until crusted or healed or 48 hours after treatment started

Cx

Bear23
13-12-2011, 09:36 AM
M daughter reguraly has this and i have to close. it takes more than a few days to clear, my daughter has steriod cream every night and morning.

Only this morning i've walked her to schol and her lips are bleeding, so we're off to the docs at two:( , if its impertigo i will have to close to end of week atleast.

AgentTink
13-12-2011, 09:38 AM
I would follow the health protection agency guidelines and they recommend for Impetigo the following exclusion from all settings:

Until lesions are crusted and healed, or 48 hours after commencing antibiotic
treatment

here is the link to the HPA form http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374

JoRoger
13-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Thanks for your help everyone - that leaflet is very useful I have saved a copy in my favourites folder for childminding things. If we go by 48 hours from treatment he will be ok to come back on Thursday, and I will get my sister to have my little boy after school so there is no contact between them, and just have even more handwashing and Dettol-ing than usual at home.

QualityCare
13-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Trouble is home hygiene as child should have own towel washed daily, clean bed linen and not share cutlery cups etc.It will be easy for brother to pick infection up.

miffy
13-12-2011, 12:50 PM
I exclude until the infection site is crusted over or healed.

Miffy xx