PDA

View Full Version : Two under ones

Jodie1989
12-12-2011, 08:26 PM
How do ofsted decide I have a 8 1/2 month old son and a lady what's me to have her 8 1/2 month old son too.

What conditions do they look for?

Look forward to hearing from you

buzzy bee
12-12-2011, 08:58 PM
I got a variation for this when my son and new mindee were both 10 months. I think it will probably help the fact one of them is your's...

They will just need to know how you're going to manage them both - double buggy, enough high chairs etc.

Good luck but you should be fine.

That was over a year ago and it's been so lovely watching them both grow up together and they get on so well now, so I hope it works out for you!

Donkey
13-12-2011, 11:27 AM
its bloomin hard work and you have to have eyes in the back of your head...

you need to discuss eating arrangements, sleeping arrangements, risk assessments, how you will get them out of the house in an emergency.....

Jodie1989
13-12-2011, 12:58 PM
The hard work isn't an issue I worked in a nursery previously a busy busy nursery.

I just want to know how many people have had no issues with getting variation.

Jodie

onceinabluemoon
14-12-2011, 06:59 AM
You phone them up and they send you a form which is really easy to fill in. As others have said you get asked about equipment you have, how you will ensure all children achieve etc. It's all explained on the form and is very straightforward.

For what it's worth I would listen to what Donkey is saying. I worked in a very busy nursery before I started childminding (in the baby room too ) and childminding is totally different. For a start there is only you, if both children are having a bad day there is no break, nobody to take over while you go to the staff room for a quick coffee, nobody to rock one while to rock the other, nobody to watch them while you dash to the loo etc. I'm not trying to put you off but I have had two under ones for most of the time I have been registered (not the same 2 obviously) and it is very hard work at times (especially teething, during illness etc) and nothing like it is in nursery.

Jodie1989
14-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Good job i have previous experience of having family twins then ;)
I know its hard work, but thats what i enjoy

buzzy bee
14-12-2011, 11:33 AM
I don't deny it's hard having 2 under 1s, but I'd definitely say that 2 under 1s is far easier than 2 toddlers!!

Jodie1989
14-12-2011, 08:59 PM
To be honest I spose it depends on the children and the childminder with how hard it will be.. Obviously their will be teething days or child felling run down days but this is normal and what childminders would expect.

miffy
14-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Like Donkey says you need to show Ofsted how you will cope with two babies - I'm sure your previous experience will be taken into account. If you want to have a look at the variation form it's in free resources (free downloads) at the top of the forum.

Good luck

Miffy xx

dette
14-12-2011, 09:17 PM
My own youngest 2 children were only 13 months apart and even though they were my 6th and 7th child and at the time i had 7 years of childminding under my belt i think this was the most difficult childcare i had ever done.my then 13 month old was just walking and i was breast feeding.Having a toddler with no brakes hurtle towards you whilst breast feeding a new born is terrifying.I bought a big travel cot instead of moses basket thinking this would keep baby safe but my 13 month old liked to rock the baby quite vigourously whenever i put him in so i could never leave the room even for a second while they were both together.every time i put a dish of water down to wash little baby my bigger baby would try to stand in it.Even getting up in the morning and having to carry both babies down stairs was a work of art.Big baby wanted little babys dummy and when one woke in the night they both woke .they are now 3 and 4 and my pride and joy but the first 6 month with 2 babies and school runs and 5 other kids was pretty difficult but you find ways to meet both their needs and develop a steel bladder.Good luck with the variation x