PDA

View Full Version : I never feel relaxed

buzzy bee
12-12-2011, 06:46 PM
I always feel like there's something I should be doing - sorting / tidying / cleaning / paperwork.

And because my home is also my work, I feel that this extends into my own personal "things to do" aswell as my work things to do.

Do you have any tips to help me switch my mind off and just relax and not think about all the things I need to be doing.

Pipsqueak
12-12-2011, 06:48 PM
yes you need to learn to draw a definative line between work ending and 'home time'.

you need to find ways to help you switch off - reading a book in the bathroom for 10 minutes by yourself, going to an exercise class, having a bath and glass of wine

I allow myself an hour after the last child has gone home to get things sorted and then that is it for 'work'.

buzzy bee
12-12-2011, 06:51 PM
yes you need to learn to draw a definative line between work ending and 'home time'.

you need to find ways to help you switch off - reading a book in the bathroom for 10 minutes by yourself, going to an exercise class, having a bath and glass of wine

I allow myself an hour after the last child has gone home to get things sorted and then that is it for 'work'.

I just feel like my brain is "foggy" all the time - I feel like I'm completely disorganised and always feeling like I need to sort stuff!!

Like the wine idea though :laughing:

Pipsqueak
12-12-2011, 06:55 PM
I just feel like my brain is "foggy" all the time - I feel like I'm completely disorganised and always feeling like I need to sort stuff!!

Like the wine idea though :laughing:

and this is where you need to draw the 'fine line' and learn to let things go.

you do become more 'organised' (well some people do - i don't!)

but you need to make that deal with yourself - get what you can done in that time after a child leaves, do what you can during the day and that is IT for the evening - congratulate yourself on a job well done and give yourself permission to relax....

find an exercise class or hobby :thumbsup: (says she who needs to go and get ready for ballet...)

miss mopple
12-12-2011, 07:39 PM
I think most of us feel the same. Its so hard to switch off.

As I type Im thinking of the list of paperwork that I have outstanding and its taunting me but I refuse to give in :laughing:

sarah707
12-12-2011, 07:48 PM
I have to make myself stop or I'd be sitting here all night.

So at 8pm regardless of what is going on I turn the infernal machine off, put the paperwork to one side, make a drink and sit in front of the box or read my book.

I have come to realise that life is too short :D

Ripeberry
12-12-2011, 07:51 PM
On particularly busy days I just flop out on the bed for half an hour after the last child has gone home and I've tidied up the junkheap!
Just refreshes me enough to carry on with my own family time :rolleyes:

MAWI
12-12-2011, 07:56 PM
It's one of the downsides from working at home and alone. There's never enough time to do it all. I always promise myself time for myself but never seem to get it. I have learnt not to worry too much now and if paperwork is not done its not done. I just catch up when I can

Crumpy
12-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Eek- that's the reason I've decided to come out of teaching and go into childminding as I couldn't switch off! I do find list writing helps me when my brain is in overdrive- sort of cathartic to get it out of my head and onto the notebook. This can then be organised and divided up into tasks at a later time.:)

JulieA
12-12-2011, 09:31 PM
I empathise entirely. Always doing something 'work' related.

miffy
12-12-2011, 09:34 PM
I am only here to escape everything else I should be doing! :laughing:

Miffy xx

Helcatt
12-12-2011, 11:15 PM
ha ha ha Miffy

That's why I come on here too, supposed to be my escape time.

I like Sarahs idea of turning the machine off at a certain time every night, come what may. I have to say though, we had one lad off sick today and so I had a really quiet afternoon and got a lot of catching up done

This eve I planned tomorrows activities, finished writing up diaries and spent far too long on face book

Hubby is downstairs clearing up! Well, sorting the Duplo and making a nice creation for the mornings activities (he made a father christmas out of Duplo this morning) and I should really be in bed......

HX

Pandypops
12-12-2011, 11:41 PM
I feel the same too - always thinking about what I have to do. I think it's because the work is visible, my folders are on the shelf when I walk in so I always see them (maybe I should hide them under the bed!!).

I'm sat catching up on my CYPOP5 at the moment whilst everyone is sleeping - only time I get enough peace and quiet ;)

Luckily, I have the day off tomorrow and two potential parents coming to visit so fingers crossed I get lots of work done and I get some new business :D

ziggy
13-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Children dont go into the living room, so we all tidy up b4 tea then read or watch tv for last few minutes, then when children have gone i shut playroom door, make cup of tea or pour glass of wine n chill in the living room

On a friday i put buggies etc in playroom and close door, work finished:clapping: