PDA

View Full Version : Hand Foot and Mouth

little chickee
10-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Do you exclude for hand foot and mouth?
Info i have from my local authority says no - but i dont want myself or my kids to catch it.

Also means i can't leave the house for 4 days...... again.

And if i say child cannot attend does that mean i am effectively closed to that child and have to refund the payment?

christine e
10-12-2011, 07:49 PM
I have never had a child with this but I know that they have recently come into contact with it so watch this space

HPA advice is that children should not be excluded so if they are well in themselves then I would have them - when did the child first have spots and when are you do to have them?

http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374

mushpea
10-12-2011, 08:08 PM
the hra say you dont need to exclude,, I only exclude if the child is not feeling well enough to join in our usual activities,, according to most websites I googled about it it is highly contatgions but before the spots come out as well as when they are there so in my oppinion if the child has attened before the spots arrived they would have passed it on anyway,, its not supposed to be dagerous to young children or pregant women and adults cant catch it nor do most children age over 10yrs and my children are older so I dont have a probelm with accepting children who have it.

The Juggler
10-12-2011, 10:06 PM
its rife here at the moment :panic: i would exclude just because I don't want the extra worries about cleaning and spreading and as someone says, not going out to groups :panic:

Lorraine B
10-12-2011, 10:12 PM
My own little one had it last week and he was quite poorly with it, no one else caught it from him but my other mindees are going down with chicken pox one after another so it could be quiet here next week!

Playmate
10-12-2011, 10:26 PM
This has been a huge issue for us this week :panic: We now have 3 children with it. The first one was diagnosed as having an allergic reaction so carried on coming to us. The second we thought just had a bad flare up of her ezcema, but on a visit to Docs they diagnosed HFM. Having found this out we emailed all parents to inform them and so the first child then went back to the docs, because by this he had lesions in he is mouth and he was diagnosed with HFM. The 3rd phoned us yesterday to say her DD had chicken pox, well when she described the symptoms I knew it wasn't and infact has HFM!

We have not excluded because the children are most infectious before the spots come out and they can be infectious for upto 10 days afterwards (carried in the stools) The damage was done before we even knew the children had it. The child with sores in his mouth has stayed off because he is miserable, the other 2 are running around like dermishes! It is extremely rare for adults to catch this and my children are all in their teens and don't have close contact.

The DOH advise is do not exclude and infact the 2nd child's GP informed the parents of this so we felt we had very little choice anyway. We have not stayed at home we have carried on as normal. Just taken extra careful precautions with hygiene etc. We always wear gloves for nappies and clean the mat in between use.

Not sure what next week will bring, but all of our parents have said its no worse than a cold and what wil be will be :D

little chickee
10-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Thanks people that all really helpful.
Parent phoned today and i said i would check up on it and phone back.
I didnt know that adults and older children rarely catch it - my youngest is 8 so hopefully we should be ok.

I know of a child who was really very poorly with it so was quite wary.

I have told parents that as long as child is well enough to carry on with our usual routines i wil have them.

I just can't bear another 4 days stuck at home after not getting out for the last 3 weeks.

Thanks muchly for your help - as ever the forum is a wonderous thing!

The Juggler
10-12-2011, 10:41 PM
This has been a huge issue for us this week :panic: We now have 3 children with it. The first one was diagnosed as having an allergic reaction so carried on coming to us. The second we thought just had a bad flare up of her ezcema, but on a visit to Docs they diagnosed HFM. Having found this out we emailed all parents to inform them and so the first child then went back to the docs, because by this he had lesions in he is mouth and he was diagnosed with HFM. The 3rd phoned us yesterday to say her DD had chicken pox, well when she described the symptoms I knew it wasn't and infact has HFM!

We have not excluded because the children are most infectious before the spots come out and they can be infectious for upto 10 days afterwards (carried in the stools) The damage was done before we even knew the children had it. The child with sores in his mouth has stayed off because he is miserable, the other 2 are running around like dermishes! It is extremely rare for adults to catch this and my children are all in their teens and don't have close contact.

The DOH advise is do not exclude and infact the 2nd child's GP informed the parents of this so we felt we had very little choice anyway. We have not stayed at home we have carried on as normal. Just taken extra careful precautions with hygiene etc. We always wear gloves for nappies and clean the mat in between use.

Not sure what next week will bring, but all of our parents have said its no worse than a cold and what wil be will be :D

when i had it here, 2 mindees had it, but then a third mindee caught it despite not being here on the same days. their paths never crossed. BUT his mum caught it, had it really bad, was really ill and then got it a second time :( just be careful, christmas is coming - stay well and look after yourself x

christine e
11-12-2011, 08:42 AM
This gives quite a bit of info

http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947383816

most common in children under 10

Cx