PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to do a SEF ?

Cygnet
10-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Hello

I wonder if anyone can help me. I am an assistant childminder registered with Ofsted and I would like to know if I have to fill out an SEF even though it is not my setting, a lot of the questions being asked I feel are relevant to the women that I work for and I'm finding it all a bit dauting.

Any advice would be great

Many Thanks

M

Pauline
10-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Hi and welcome :)

No you don't, it is the responsibility of the Registered Childminder to complete it although it would be good for her to include information about you and how you work together :thumbsup:

breezy
10-12-2011, 03:03 PM
As the Boss says!!!!:)

Cygnet
11-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Thank you for getting back to me.

Could I just clarify one more thing and maybe I should of said in my first post, even though I am an assistant I am registered as a childminder, this was to give me more responsibility, so would Ofsted still expect to see a SEF filled out by myself before they come and inspect for a second time, even though again it is not my setting.

Many Thanks

M :)

yummymummy
12-12-2011, 07:38 AM
I didn't do a SEF before my inspection and was told by the inspector that there is no need for it at all and it didn't affect my inspection in any way so don't worry!

angiemog
12-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Hi,
Nobody has to do a SEF. Some inspectors expect them to be done and refer to them others don't. I found it really helped me to reflect on my setting, things I needed to improve on and things I needed to add. As you are registered with OFSTED you will be inspected and graded. It's entirely up to you what you decide to you. I personally recommend it. Good Luck

onceinabluemoon
12-12-2011, 10:18 AM
As Angie has said, childminders do not have to do SEFs, (but they do have to reflect on their practice) I do this by writing in my diary once a month, similar info to what would be in a SEF but in my own words and not daunting because I decide what to out in etc (hope that makes sense).

I was inspected without one and my inspector was more than happy with the really laid back way I was reflecting back then (same way but much less info!)

mummyme
12-12-2011, 11:08 AM
hi all,

I had my first inspection a couple of weeks ago and got satisfactory which i was happy with as i got good in nearly all areas but one. I wish all ofsted inspectors would sing from the same hymn sheet though as I was told that as I hadn't filled out my SEF in enough detail (the part about my plans for courses etc), she was unable to give me an overall good. So, how can it be that you dont actually need to do one then?!?

This job is annoying sometimes - if only the job was more to do with looking after children! :laughing:

Penny1959
12-12-2011, 12:05 PM
It is correct that you don't haveto do a SEF - I haven't and don't intend to.

It is also true that you have to have some sort of self reflection - and there are many ways that you can do this.

So op - yes as a registered childminder you will need to have some sort of self reflectyion - but maybe the Ofsted one is not the most appropriate for you - however it should link to to self reflection of the person whose setting it is.

For the poster that did not get a higher grade - it will have been because you did not have evidenvce of self reflection to cover all areas - rather than because the Ofsted SEF was not fully filled in - as you are right you can not be marked down for nor doing the Ofsted SEF - but can be for not having enough self trflection evidence.

Penny :)

mummyme
13-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Penny. I understand what you mean. My SEF is well uderway now. Thanks x