PDA

View Full Version : Giving them what the want!

buzzy bee
08-12-2011, 02:17 PM
I have a 2 year old who is very particular about things - which highchair she sits in, which colour cup she has etc.

I don't know if it's best to always give her what she wants...

Today I put someone else in the highchair she likes (without realising what I was doing) and she started crying. In this instance is it best to take the other child out and put her in it, or make her sit in another chair, even if this will upset her?

Ripeberry
08-12-2011, 02:30 PM
But then you might end up with two crying children. You can't always give them what they want and they can't always have what they want.
First lesson in life ;)

Twinkle-Toes
08-12-2011, 03:03 PM
I was close to tearing all my hair out over the last summer holidays with table seating/cup & plate colour issues!!

So....I sat with the kids and drew up a seating plan and they all picked a colour so their self registration card is now that colour. As is their cup, plate and flannel.

Problem solved.

Obviously, this worked for older kids 3+ but i'd say if she has a fave place to sit and a fave cup etc to try and accommodate as much as possible.

rosebud
08-12-2011, 03:25 PM
I've had this too, also with 2 year olds. I often find the girls always want the pink so I've been known to take the pink out of the cupboard so nobody gets upset when there aren't enough pink plates / cups / bowls etc. I also had a little boy who always wanted particular things, I used to try to accomodate him but then found he got used to getting his own way and when for some reason he couldn't have what he wanted we would have a major tantrum. He always liked one particular carseat but then when he couldn't sit in it anymore because he'd grown and I was looking after a younger child who needed that seat he was terrible, he kept undoing the straps on the seat I'd put him in and I remember sitting outside nursery one day for 30 minutes until he'd calmed down and would sit in the seat and leave the straps done up, so I could drive home. Just be careful they don't get too used to getting what they want.

singingcactus
08-12-2011, 05:04 PM
If a child had a favourite place to sit here, then I'd let that be their place. I know I have a favourite cup for my coffee, and a favourite place to sit on the sofa - I have been known to sit on children who sit in my seat :D . As for crockery, as much as possible we use our dinner service which is plain white so everyone has the same, and we use glasses which are clear so no worries about colours here, so not really come across that one.

sarah707
08-12-2011, 06:22 PM
I buy the same or similar all the time to try and avoid this one. It's hard though and I think within reason I try to avoid the tantrum but sometimes you have no choice and simply have to shrug and wait for it to blow over.

hopefully it's a phase that will pass quickly! :D

sweets
08-12-2011, 06:58 PM
I think with 2 year olds its worth choosing your battles and if they want a certain coloured cup and no one else is bothered then let them have as its not worth a tantrum!