PDA

View Full Version : Who's responsibility?

JCrakers
07-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Hi,

This evening school pick up was 5 boys ranging from 4-8yrs. Boys will be boys and are always losing things. Hats, scarves, gloves, coats, jumpers etc.:D

Tonight child 1 was 5mins late out so by the time I walked to the next classroom for child 2 (foundation) he was sat on his own waiting. I made sure he had a hat on his head and his coat zipped up and quickly went round the corner for child 3&4. Child 5 was waiting patiently although he was out late too.

Anyway when parents come to pick up they ask the child were are your gloves, scarf, school jumper and look at me like I'm supposed to know where all their things are. Ive got 6 kids on a wednesday and as long as I have the correct children safely back thats my aim.:D

So the child from foundation who's 4 has left his scarf and gloves in his drawer...Dad looked a bit miffed

Who's responsibility is it to make sure the kids have all their belongings?
The child, me or the teacher?

VeggieSausage
07-12-2011, 05:55 PM
I always ask where's your coat, did you have gloves/hat etc - often they say no and then mum says they did - an age old problem. Teachers tell kids to get their stuff ready coats/lunchbag etc and lo's just forget they have gloves etc with them, not anyone's fault just one of those perpetual little things with children! Parents shouldn't be miffed as children in reception (same as foundation?) are only little with lots going on and can't remember everything, neither can teachers and you are only HUMAN and if you didn't know they had them with them then there's not much you can do....don't worry. they'll soon realise this will go on for years.....:)

Pipsqueak
07-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Teacher will say she has 30 kids to sort out and that its the childs responsibility

As a minder I say there is only so much I can be expected to do/say/think of/remember.....

Teaching the children the responsibility of their own stuff is priceless

let the parent look..... and ignore

sarah707
07-12-2011, 06:06 PM
I have a few who constantly forget things!

It's a daily nightmare because sending them back in they trip up over children coming out ... and take ages while they get distracted looking for things! :rolleyes:

I just shrug to parents - I do my best! I cannot and will not be held responsible.

Remind parents they should label everything then at least it stands a chance of being found :D

Twinkles
07-12-2011, 06:15 PM
I think it's a nationwide problem :D

Happens here too. DH says to everyone he picks up 'have you got everything ?' they all chorus 'yes' but you can bet your boots one of them will have forgotten something !

onceinabluemoon
07-12-2011, 06:19 PM
I count myself responsible for reception children's bits and pieces, or at least I would if I had any but I don't because they go to the after school club cos its cheaper and they always forget to remind the kids to pick up their stuff... (I know this because dad asks me to sort it out in the morning when i take them in...)

sillysausage
07-12-2011, 06:21 PM
I try and drum it into them that their things are their responsibility from the point they go to nursery, though obviously I always prompt the younger ones. I try and encourage them to put loose items such as gloves in a pocket or bag and tuck hats and scarves into their coat sleeves so that they are harder to lose.
My worst offender is nearly 8 and I despair, he is always leaving things at school...once had to bring home 3 different lunch boxes because he'd left them behind. He's also really good at leaving items of clothing behind....jumpers, coats as well as hats and gloves. Thankfully his mum is a stickler for naming everything, so stuff usually turns up. I make him carry everything!!! with the hope that he might eventually learn.

mushpea
07-12-2011, 07:11 PM
I ask if they have them if I remember but because I go to two schools I cant always send them back in if they have forgotton due to lack of time.
schoolie 1 whos 6yrs comes out everynight with no hat on no gloves on and zip undone with no jumper underneath,, every day for the last fortnight do your zip up, put on your hat and gloves,, Im fed up with it now and its not like she dosent know to do it at that age so the last couple of days i havent said anything other than 'are you ready to go' to which she replys yes so off we go,, I think at her age she is old enough to know shes cold and old enough to know to do her zip up etc and olde enough to ask me to wait while she does it or ask for help but she dosent and its not like shes shy as Ive had her over a year.
so yep i think its the childs responsibility when they reach school age,, obviously a nudge in the right direction helps.

zippy
07-12-2011, 07:25 PM
i teach all mine to put all they're bits in their sleeves, then put these on BEFORE coat or they get left on table lol, even my 3 year old does it, the teacher told him to put his hat in his hood the other day, and he said most indignantly, No they go in sleeves, me no lose them, lol, teacher was rollled up lol, hope it helps

uf353432
07-12-2011, 07:37 PM
as far as I am concerned its the child's responsibility to bring home what they took. I will give them a cursory glance and ensure they at least have coats - then off we go. Parents should redirect their frustrations towards the child not you - but you get to know the main offenders pretty quickly though and can do damge limitation.

nikki thomson
07-12-2011, 10:12 PM
It's there responsabity not mine I have my 3, 1 lo and 2 sibling schoolies, they have to pick up all there stuff in the mornings and at home time, one of the schoolies who is 9 is a complete nightmare always forgetting something , last week I got back from school run and he'd left his swim bag here so no swimming for him that day, I don't go back up to the school unless it's something like there lunch box or my other schoolie is deaf and has a special device that the teachers talk into so she can hear through her hearing aids in the class room, but there mum and dad support me 100% they say it's there things they are responsible.

ziggy
08-12-2011, 08:37 AM
My parents are all really good. If we're walking home i check they have coat on and zipped up as well as hat on, anything else is up to them to remember. If parents ask 'where is hat, lunch box, bag etc?' I just say '? is a big boy/girl now its up to him to remember all his things'

Maybe you could mention in newsletter that you do your best but you have more than one child to care for

Bananabrain
08-12-2011, 12:56 PM
I have a few who constantly forget things!

It's a daily nightmare because sending them back in they trip up over children coming out ... and take ages while they get distracted looking for things! :rolleyes:

I just shrug to parents - I do my best! I cannot and will not be held responsible.

Remind parents they should label everything then at least it stands a chance of being found :D

Agree with Sarah, if they are named they come back! Not difficult really.
I have a policy for this! Alot of the time older ones lie because they can't be bothered to go and look!

Pipsqueak
08-12-2011, 01:34 PM
My parents are all really good. If we're walking home i check they have coat on and zipped up

oh this is MY bug bear - I wish - especially in this weather that the teachers would spare an extra 5 minutes and get the kids coats zipped up before they come out!:angry:

JCrakers
08-12-2011, 01:42 PM
oh this is MY bug bear - I wish - especially in this weather that the teachers would spare an extra 5 minutes and get the kids coats zipped up before they come out!:angry:

Its not difficult is it :rolleyes:
Get all the children to get their coats from the cloakroom, stand by their tables and then you can scan the room to make sure they have a zip up.