PDA

View Full Version : New Parent is giving me grief already

cupcake22
07-12-2011, 01:13 PM
I have a new starter next week who is 9mths. The mum works not far from where I live. She came yesterday for the 2nd of a settling in visit. The baby screamed constantly while mum was out purly as she has never been left & mum picks her up at the first hint of trouble. Mum said to me if baby is hard to setttle she could pop in during her lunch break. Erm I dont think so. Has anyone else ever had this request. I explained that it would disrupt the childrens routine to have someone there whilst I am working & more to the point she will disrupt mine.

Cupcake22

Velleity
07-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Yes I've had similar to this. The mum of the baby I cared for wanted to send her friends around during the day because she was worried that she was crying a lot (again the baby had never been left anywhere before so the crying was completely normal). I said that it wouldn't be possible as it would likely disturb the baby even more and wouldn't be right with other people's children there too.

AliceK
07-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Hi
Not had this request but did have a baby who was the same. Due to mum constantly picking him up and carrying him around whenever he so much as wimpered. The situation got impossible in the end as all the other mindees would walk around with their hands over their ears telling me to stop him crying. My mindee was a bit younger though. My understanding is that seperation anxiety starts around this time and I remember my DS getting it around 10mths old and he wouldn't even go to his dad, he only ever wanted me. I would tactfully explain to mum that baby will be fine and this is totally normal and also that your insurance wouldn't cover her popping in every day and that Ofsted would need to CRB her also :blush:

xxxx

rosebud
07-12-2011, 08:23 PM
I think I would probably discourage her and tell her it will upset the baby more when she leaves to go back to work in the afternoon. I had a 10 month old start in October with fairly severe separation anxiety. He had 2 x 1 hours settling in sessions and screamed inconsolably throughout both of them. I was dreading him starting but by week two he had already stopped crying when mum dropped him off and is now grinning and shouting when she brings him up the path.
I would look up separation anxiety and maybe put something together for her to print out. It is much better for the baby if the parent leaves quickly, says the same things and sticks to the same routine, ask her to bring something from home that smells of her - a soft toy or something.