PDA

View Full Version : Molluscum contagiosum

candy cat
06-12-2011, 01:58 PM
mindee had it in the summer on arms......HPA say no exclusion,but it is so contagious like the name states.....she turned up today and has it all on face...I have read up on it and its horrible especially bad cases ....what would you all do? other parents wanted to know what it is...gp says its ok to send her (surely my decision lol) anyway thoughts please x

Tink
06-12-2011, 02:09 PM
I was suppost to be a having a little boy with this, but the condition can last for up to a year or more, it turns out it wasn't that but it took ages to diagnose and GP said it's only contagious if skin to skin contact is made:eek: the boy had severely disabled and needed contact for everything, so if it was that it would have been extremely hard to deal with.
I would get Mum to double check with the GP before you accept the mindee.

JCrakers
06-12-2011, 02:16 PM
It is very contagious as its part of the wart family but it does last for a very long time.
The body has to build an immunity to it and it can last over a year. My son had a few of them on his chest which were easy to cover up with a top and no one knew he had it...but poor little one having it on her face must be awful.

I dont suppose you can exclude but you must be careful with contact which is hard with children. Actually I dont know what I would do...tough one

nipper
06-12-2011, 02:23 PM
My son also had this when he was about 1year old around his trunk area (ribcage). The doctor said there was no treatment, but he was able to continue at nursery as usual, obviously we had to notify them, which was ironic because that's probably where he got it from. It didn't seem to bother him much and it cleared up on it's own... a little bit like acne if I remember rightly

JulieA
06-12-2011, 02:29 PM
My daughter also had this - on her thighs. It is very contagious - hence the name, but there is no cure. It will just go on it's own. Whilst it doesn't look too nice, it doesn't hurt. I think the trouble with excluding is that it lasts for soo long. If children were excluded from school with it they would miss too much schooling.

I was quite lucky in that a pair of trousers meant that she didn't infect anyone else - she wore tracksuit bottoms for PE.

AgentTink
06-12-2011, 03:42 PM
My own daughter has had it since she was 6 months old, from when we first took her swimming. She is now 2 years and 4 months old and still has them. Intially we were not given anything to treat them as there was only one or two but about 6 weeksd ago she got a little clusters right at the top of her inner thigh. Doctor has now given us some cream.

Considering they are very contagious none of her friends nor mindees have caught them from my little girl, and she is always in close contact with other children.

My little girl has only ever had them on her chest, back and now the top of her leg.

Everytime one dies she ends up with a new one somewhere else on her body which is when i believe it is most contagious. The cream the doctor has given us is exactly for this stage of the spot - when it becomes yellow, and since we have been using it we have seen some of them die and so far (fingers crossed) no new ones.

It has not caused her any pain.

candy cat
06-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Thanks everyone.....just worried me as it's on face and the kids are always hugging,kissing each other lol so I explained to my daughter not to touch her etc.....this mindee is so sickly and always has green nose......probably why it's flared up again.....looks awful on her face:(

yummymummy
07-12-2011, 10:21 AM
I thought it was only the fluid inside the pustules (yuk) that was contagious so would only be if one of the warts oozed or got caught and wept and then met with another part of the body or someone else! My own daughter had it on her sides and if her vest caught one and it scabbed over it disappeared. We were lucky it disappeared after about 12 weeks. One very brave parent that I know from school squeezed every one on her childs body and they all went away as when scabbed and healed they disappear. Bit extreme but it worked!