PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to ask parents when children will be attending over christmas?

Tippy Toes
06-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Was thinking of sending out a letter asking parents when children will be attending over christmas, has anyone ever done this?

Last year I had some parents who said they were bring their children and not turning up or letting me know.

What do you think?

Thanks

Twinkles
06-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Yes absolutely !

Print off a calender page and give it to the parents. Ask them to highlight the days their children will be attending so you can plan outings and activities.

AliceK
06-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Yes of course it's ok. Tell parents you are doing planning and need to know what days they are sending their children.

xxxx

loopyloopy
06-12-2011, 01:03 PM
I asked early November :D

snufflepuff
06-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Yes I do this. I just ask them to let me know so that I know where I am with my planning and so that I can organise my time off. If they had needed me I'd have worked and so would OH- they don't need me so OH is taking the time off work so we can have a break together.

cupcake22
06-12-2011, 01:07 PM
I just tell them when i am off over Christamas & New Year. Usually tell them around Sept so they have plenty of time to plan.

Cupcake22

mufftie
06-12-2011, 01:19 PM
I have it off , so I've been asking them when will they Finnish for Christmas , reminding them that I'm not available
Last yr I had a parent wanting me to do a few hours on the 28th I said no way , she only wanted to go sale shopping !

nikki thomson
06-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Definately but if you wanted any specific days of I would off probably asked them a while back as it may be difficult if they need you a certain day and you don't want to do it.
I've booked of two weeks and I planned it months ago. X

dolly daycare
06-12-2011, 01:59 PM
I have asked all my parents to let me know, what days they will be sending their lo's. Although, so far, I have had only one parent reply! :(

tinkerbelle
06-12-2011, 04:12 PM
i asked all parents what days they would need me as i was working and all have said im not needed so i get 1 weeks holiday full pay :clapping:

pinky33
06-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Yes it's good to ask rather than sit in and wait!
Hopefully they won't need you :) ours all don't yay

onceinabluemoon
06-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Yes, get them to write it down and point out that once they've written it down you will plan for those dates so they are not changeable.

or do what I do and book time off. :)

Chimps Childminding
06-12-2011, 10:31 PM
We asked the parents in our Newsletter in October to let us know what they needed us over Christmas - needless to say no one did! :angry: So we sent a form out last month showing when we are open/closed and asked parents to complete and return what they needed!!! Still waiting on some :rolleyes: and the one who said they would need us between Christmas and New Year (prompting us to offer for others) has now decided they don't :angry: :angry:

VeggieSausage
07-12-2011, 08:58 AM
yes asked parents in a newletter in early november too then asked on the doorstep had they seen the newsletter about christmas holidays, and said I wanted to plan lots of fun christmas stuff in and needed to know when their children would be here or not.....

kindredspirits
07-12-2011, 09:04 AM
last year I sent out a calander page of december with the days that I was closed marked in red and asked all parents to tick or cross which days their child would be attending - i put on the top of the page that unless prior arrangements were agreed by both parties that any booked time off could not be changed. it worked fairly well and i at least knew who was coming on what days so i could plan activities that were age appropriate.

kats
07-12-2011, 09:09 AM
I just tell them the date i close and the day i open and i do it in October so they have plenty of time to arrange things :)

Tippy Toes
07-12-2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks to everyones for the replies, you have been very helpful.

Think I will send out a calender for the xmas period and ask parents to confirm days child will be attending.

:) :) :)