PDA

View Full Version : St. Nicholas day...

JCrakers
06-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Did anyone know that apparently its Santas special day today?

or St. Nicholas as he is better known :D

We sang Happy birthday to him at toddler group this morning and he sat (little stuffed santa) and blew out the candle...lol

But looking on the internet when I got in it looked like he passed away on 6th Dec..So whether we either celebrated his birth, death or life this morning im not sure ?
Gifts were exchanged on 6th December..So happy St. Nicholas day

rickysmiths
06-12-2011, 12:41 PM
In the Scandinavian countries they celebrate St Nicolas Day and exchange presents. It 9is the start of Christmas.

QualityCare
06-12-2011, 01:00 PM
One of my mindees is German they always celebrate St Nicholas we make little boots and l put a few sweets in, last night she would have left a pair of boots by the door and this morning a small gift would be put inside.

JCrakers
06-12-2011, 01:02 PM
One of my mindees is German they always celebrate St Nicholas we make little boots and l put a few sweets in, last night she would have left a pair of boots by the door and this morning a small gift would be put inside.

Arrh...thats lovely. I have heard about the gifts in the boots. Hubbie is in Hamburg this week, wonder what they are doing out there.

Nature'sKids!
07-12-2011, 12:18 AM
In aureus ST. Nicholas always came to visit the children with two angels and one or two "Krampus" a devil like figure who would carry an empty sack to take naughty children away and a bundle of branches to spank them with too (a lot of kids were **** scared, bless... But ST. Nicholas never let him take any kids or hit them ... Unless they were older brothers who wound him up lol)
He always brought a sack or stocking full of nuts, oranges, chocolates and a small gift.

I loved it because it was a day after my birthday :)

Penny1959
07-12-2011, 12:22 AM
One of my mindees is Polish and they also celebrate on 6th December. Mum was telling me she is not very keen on the Christnmas celebrations here as so much to pack into one day. In Poland St. Nicholas visits on 6th and brings small gifts, sweets etc. Then on 25th December it is family day with the focus being on the family and sharing a special meal together.

Penny :)

Jiorjiina
07-12-2011, 04:36 PM
In aureus ST. Nicholas always came to visit the children with two angels and one or two "Krampus" a devil like figure who would carry an empty sack to take naughty children away and a bundle of branches to spank them with too (a lot of kids were **** scared, bless... But ST. Nicholas never let him take any kids or hit them ... Unless they were older brothers who wound him up lol)
He always brought a sack or stocking full of nuts, oranges, chocolates and a small gift.

I loved it because it was a day after my birthday :)

I read about this on the BBC news (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/12/today-in-pictures-dec-5-2011/) site the other day, but it was northern Italy.

Scary!
:eek:

Nature'sKids!
08-12-2011, 12:28 AM
Well aureous = Austria(!) isn't far from Italy so makes sense ;)