PDA

View Full Version : Would you allow this?

JCrakers
06-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Morning all,

My 2yr old mindee arrived this morning. Mum says she has a habit of needing a grape in her mouth which she uses as a soother. She keeps it in her mouth and sucks on it....I thought fine, if this is what you do at home but I wont be giving her a grape here. :panic:

However this morning she arrived at 8.20am (earlier than usual) with a grape in her mouth. As i was busy getting everyone ready to leave at 8.30am and the stress of the school run this morning (which was very stressful I may add because the pavements were sheet ice) I forgot she had it in.

It wasnt until we arrived at toddler group at 9.20am that she spat it out and gave it to me. Shed had it in her mouth for an hour....

Firstly I feel this is a choking hazard and secondly she doesnt really NEED it. She never ask for one here....Can you imagine if she had choked on it.

Am I overreacting, would you allow this or not? :blush:

EmmaReed84
06-12-2011, 11:26 AM
I wouldnt allow this either. I would also stress to the parent about the choking hazard... I cant believe they actually let her do this. I would rather have a child cry because I didnt give her a grape, than a child choke because I did.

Pixie dust
06-12-2011, 11:27 AM
No definatley not it is to much of a choking hazard. I was told grapes are one of the worst on my first aid course.

mummyme
06-12-2011, 11:27 AM
NO I wouldnt. Despite the obvious dangers, thats gross!!!

JCrakers
06-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Thats what I suspected...Im going to have a word with her later....wish me luck, I hate telling parents stuff :panic:

Mouse
06-12-2011, 11:45 AM
There are plenty of horror stories on the internet about children choking on grapes & reports of them being the biggest risk to children. I think I would print off some information and give it to her.

I do know children who have had whole grapes from a very young age who have come to no harm, but I wouldn't be prepared to risk it.

Helen79
06-12-2011, 11:49 AM
nope definitely not, I normally try not to judge parents and let them get on with their own thing but this is just stupidly dangerous :panic: I still cut my 6 yr old's grapes into halves.
We were given this leaflet (http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/support-us/the-difference/when-first-aid-isnt-around/choking.aspx) about 'Abigail' on our 1st aid training, they said grapes are the worst as they're too smooth to dislodge and can't be squashed to loosen when in the throat.
Not sure if that leaflet is printable to give to mum when you have a chat with her later.

Velleity
06-12-2011, 11:50 AM
That is undoubtedly one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard!

JCrakers
06-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Thanks guys :D

Mindee is new and this is the first time Ive actually seen her with a grape in. I will definitly have a word with Mum later.

I thought it was pretty ridiculous when she told me :blush:

Helen79
06-12-2011, 12:01 PM
also worth mentioning to mum is that choking is often completely silent, so if mindee's sucking on a grape in the back of the car, mum could be totally unaware that her dd is choking while she's driving. Just wondering do they let her fall asleep sucking a grape as a soother :panic:

JCrakers
06-12-2011, 12:06 PM
also worth mentioning to mum is that choking is often completely silent, so if mindee's sucking on a grape in the back of the car, mum could be totally unaware that her dd is choking while she's driving. Just wondering do they let her fall asleep sucking a grape as a soother :panic:

Not sure if they allow her to fall asleep....god forbid
She did arrive in the car this morning so yes thats a very good point.

Velleity
06-12-2011, 12:10 PM
I'd be checking her mouth each morning as soon as she came through the door :p

lorimac
06-12-2011, 12:13 PM
I don't even allow the children to eat grapes until i've cut them in half first....then they have to sit at table to eat, they are so dangerous, one of my mindees choked on one when he was at home with his mum because he was eating and running around, it's so easy for them to get stuck.

AliceK
06-12-2011, 12:21 PM
I am so paranoid about grapes. I always cut them up for the children even still for my DS aged 7. He used to moan at me until I showed him my Abigail leaflet. Grapes are notoriously hard to dislodge if a child does get one stuck that's what frightens me. So many people are unaware of the risks of grapes I wish there was more education about the risk :(

xxxx

rickysmiths
06-12-2011, 12:38 PM
I don't even allow the children to eat grapes until i've cut them in half first....then they have to sit at table to eat, they are so dangerous, one of my mindees choked on one when he was at home with his mum because he was eating and running around, it's so easy for them to get stuck.

To avoid a choke hazzard the must be cut in 4. They are still a choke hazzard when they are cut in 2.

Pipsqueak
06-12-2011, 12:59 PM
oh my heavens absolutely NOT. are these parents nuts?

agreed with Ricky I quarter the grapes

The Juggler
06-12-2011, 01:26 PM
i would be telling mum a few scare stories I think :panic: :panic:

mushpea
06-12-2011, 02:00 PM
any food in the mouth is a choking hazard no matter wether its cut in half or in to 4,, I would cut grapes in half till about 18months-2yrs then see how good they are at chewing food properly,,,I certainly wouldnt let a child walk around with one in their mouths,, all children sit down to eat here so i would tell mum that whilst she has the grape in her mouth she needs to be sat down and when shes ready to either swallow spit out the grape then she will be able to go and play.

JCrakers
06-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Well...I mentioned it to Mum when she picked up. Said I had forgotten she had a grape in her mouth and that I didnt discover it until an hour later. Shared my concerns with her, told her children can choke....she didnt see a problem at all and said she would make sure that little one doesnt arrive with a grape. But she would still do it at home

Oh well at least I tried....at least she wont be arriving with one anymore

EmmaReed84
06-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Well...I mentioned it to Mum when she picked up. Said I had forgotten she had a grape in her mouth and that I didnt discover it until an hour later. Shared my concerns with her, told her children can choke....she didnt see a problem at all and said she would make sure that little one doesnt arrive with a grape. But she would still do it at home

Is this woman crazy??? Does she know what choking is and what can happen? Cracks me up what we have to do through to be CM and are graded on what lengths we go to the safeguard children, yet anyone can be a parent with no clue how to keep their kids safe and worse still, when being told something could make their child choke and worse case stop breathing they still dont care...Sorry but that made me really mad!

miffy
06-12-2011, 02:36 PM

I'm glad you've managed to sort it so that she doesn't come with one again!

Can't believe the parents are so stupid!

Miffy xx

wendywu
06-12-2011, 10:17 PM
It really makes you want to come out with something like oh well you wont mind me buying her a box of matches for christmas then or better still a flick knife.

stupid stupid woman:angry:

Vickster
06-12-2011, 10:35 PM
I am utterly gobsmacked

Ripeberry
06-12-2011, 10:48 PM
What madness! I can vouch about choking it is silent. I almost choked last year on a sweet, just put it in my mouth and my own kids ran into a shop so I went to say something.
Went the wrong way. Could not cough it out straight away, but the scary thing was that my legs gave way and thank goodness they did as the jolt onto the floor dislodged the blockage.
Very scary and silent!:panic: