PDA

View Full Version : High temperature - policy?

nessynoodle
06-12-2011, 08:34 AM
Hi all

What are your policies on high temperatures? Child came today having hd very high temp in night, given calpol to bring down, then slightly high this morn but again given calpol. I thought I was being nice letting him still come but readin some old threads maybe I'm wrong? I said I would keep an eye on him but that usually I couldnt have them with a high temp and that the calpol was treating the symptoms but not necessarily the illness. I thought that if they had a temp they must be poorly and even if they dont seem ill they could be spreading something.

Advice please

snufflepuff
06-12-2011, 08:52 AM
It's tricky really because children can sometimes have a temperature even with nothing else wrong with them.
I will accept a child who has had a temperature as long as they are happy and well enough to join in as they usually would. If the temperature comes back I am happy to give one dose of medicine (again as long as the child seems okay in themselves) but would warn the parent that if the temperature goes back up/ the medication does not bring the temperature down, they will need to come and collect because I won't give a second dose. I don't like to keep dosing a child up as like you say it just masks the symptoms rather than treating the actual source, whatever it may be. If the temperature just keeps coming back, chances are there is something going on and LO might need to see the GP.
Obviously if a temperature gets dangerously high I'd expect parents to collect and get LO seen ASAP.

AgentTink
06-12-2011, 09:05 AM
I do not give medicine to any child except what is prescribed by a doctor, the only exception to this is if it is obvious that a child is in pain due to teething.

I will accept a child who has had a temperture in the night but otherwise seems fine, and i would have expected the child to have been given medicine before they arrive at my setting. Once the medicine has worn off if they still have a temperture I make it very clear to parents that the child would have to be collected straight away as i will give no further medicine to the child.

If a child has a temperture and cannot join in my day's activitites then i would require them picked up at that point.

QualityCare
06-12-2011, 09:38 AM
I would take a child with a temperature and give calpol/nurofen as needed during the day if there were no obvious signs of illness, after 24hrs and no sign of temp staying down l would suggest a visit to the doctor to check child over if nothing found l would still have child.

nessynoodle
06-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Ok thanks everyone. He seems OK in himself. I think he will be fine, but if not I will contact mum. I hate the dilemma with illness, it's so difficult and parents don't often see our point of view!

Sarahbelle
06-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Hi all

What are your policies on high temperatures? Child came today having hd very high temp in night, given calpol to bring down, then slightly high this morn but again given calpol. I thought I was being nice letting him still come but readin some old threads maybe I'm wrong? I said I would keep an eye on him but that usually I couldnt have them with a high temp and that the calpol was treating the symptoms but not necessarily the illness. I thought that if they had a temp they must be poorly and even if they dont seem ill they could be spreading something.

Advice please

A high temperature is most usually caused by either a viral or bacterial infection, so you may want to consider excluding.