PDA

View Full Version : Help me sort my playroom!

crazyhazy
05-12-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm very lucky to have a playroom, although it is rather small but I find it gets used mainly for storage. It's the only room we've not decorated so h has promised to put plain wall paper up at xmas which has got me thinking if a bit of reorganisation might mean it got used more.

Like I said it's not big, maybe 8ft x 6ft although I'm hopeless at measurements but that sounds about right lol At the moment, it has laminate flooring, the window and radiator take up the wall that faces you as you walk in so nothing can really go there, then one side has two cupboards so not much to use there, at the moment there is a toy kitchen against the wall in between the cupboards ikea wall storage above. The other long wall has a small table and chairs, bookcase and a black board. Like I said we rarely use it, messy play tends to get done at the kitchen table, so does snacks, meals etc so the table is rarely used and it's got me wondering if I should change it to more of a chill out area? What would you do, any ideas? I have my own girls 3y and 5y, plus 2 baby mindees of 1y and 18m, then another 4 4-6y olds.

Thanks

I am editing since I am very puzzled by the responses so far, I did state the playroom was 8feet by 6feet in my original post above, not sure why that's confusing :( I was asking for ideas to use the space better my storage isn't an issue, everything fits in the cupboards but at the moment they only play in there to use the kitchen, everything else is brought through to the living room and messy play, meals etc are done in the kitchen. I had just wondered whether anyone had a chill out room, was thinking along the lines of a big rug, cushions etc so we could use it to relax etc. Also, wondered if anyone had any thoughts on decorating, was pondering magnetic paint t not sure if it was any good? just for one wall to hang art work easier. I wrote the original post in a hurry but even rereading I'm still puzzled where all the judgement about my room being too small and me being over numbers came from :(

rickysmiths
05-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Gosh a room 8 x6 surely isn't big enough for that many children (8 if I counted correctly) and cupboards and toys :eek: I'm actually surprised Ofsted have allowed you the 2 extra under eights with so little space, especially with an assistant working with you as well. Thats a lot of people in a small room at once.

I have a playroom that is 12' x 10' which has double doors into a kitchen dining room which is 10' x 22' and I am only allowed 6 under eights on my own (incl my children if they were that little) or 8 under eights when working with an assistant.

Could you have a shed in the garden and just bring in what you need each day?

amirose
05-12-2011, 04:32 PM
From the desctiption of whats in the room I'm almost certain she doesn't mean 8 foot by 6 foot!

muffins
05-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Gosh a room 8 x6 surely isn't big enough for that many children (8 if I counted correctly) and cupboards and toys :eek: I'm actually surprised Ofsted have allowed you the 2 extra under eights with so little space, especially with an assistant working with you as well. Thats a lot of people in a small room at once.

I have a playroom that is 12' x 10' which has double doors into a kitchen dining room which is 10' x 22' and I am only allowed 6 under eights on my own (incl my children if they were that little) or 8 under eights when working with an assistant.

I don't shes saying she uses ONLY the play room to mind in!

I only have a small play room, theres storage down 2 sides & toys out to play with don the other 2. I usually get one box of something out in the middle to attract children into the room! All available wall space has either a poster or the childrens art work on it so it so it doesn't need decorating & hasn't been since we moved in! We also have alot of toys in the living/diner area, but then my own children are 1 & 2yrs so I like to encourage them to stay in the main living area.

Hope this helps x

rickysmiths
05-12-2011, 04:44 PM
From the desctiption of whats in the room I'm almost certain she doesn't mean 8 foot by 6 foot! That would be a cupboard not a room :laughing:
Original poster - that would make the room 96 inches by 72 inches ;)

My daughters bedroom is only 6' by 10'! It is big enough to be a room just a small one. She must have a lot of space elsewhere but I surprised with that many children she even calls it a playroom because you couldn't fit 8 children and the 2 adults needed in there. You are not usually registered to have 8 under 8s on your own, only with an assistant.

crazyhazy
05-12-2011, 04:45 PM

I don't have any extra, none of my mindees are full time. And if you read I said we rarely use it at the moment, we have a large living room, kitchen and huge garden. hence the idea to use it differently to get more use out of it rather than it being a store room, plus the cupboards are built in which i didn;t explain so don't take floor space just wall space. Oh and I'm not registered by ofsted, I'm in scotland, I have no assistant and never claimed I did, very puzzled by your response to be honest since all you suggest is storage solution which isn't the problem since I have two huge cupboards :)

rickysmiths
05-12-2011, 05:01 PM
I don't have any extra, none of my mindees are full time. And if you read I said we rarely use it at the moment, we have a large living room, kitchen and huge garden. hence the idea to use it differently to get more use out of it rather than it being a store room, plus the cupboards are built in which i didn;t explain so don't take floor space just wall space. Oh and I'm not registered by ofsted, I'm in scotland, I have no assistant and never claimed I did, very puzzled by your response to be honest since all you suggest is storage solution which isn't the problem since I have two huge cupboards :)

I Kind of assumed the way you described the children you have that you had them at the same time, sorry. It was only if you had them all at the same time in England you would have to have an assistant I know you didn't say you had one. Different if they are all at different times anyhow.

I think we all kinda thought you were asking for solutions on how to store stuff and be able to use the room more. Sorry. If it is just ideas how to use the space more effectively what about some bean bags and a chill area to watch a DVD, read a book, listen to a story (CD).

amirose
05-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Wow you managed to fit an amazing amount of stuff in the room I'm impressed :)

rosebud
05-12-2011, 05:24 PM
I like the sound of what you've already done in there and don't think I would change it much. I would perhaps add things like dolls, bed, etc to encourage the domestic play so its kept in a separate area. Alternatively I would use it as an area for the older children - so playmobil, lego, all the things with small bits that you can't have out in the main living room with the babies so that it gives your older ones a separate space where the babies won't mess up their games and you won't be panicing that they've left a small piece of something lieing around where the babies can get them. Or I might have it set up as an art space with junk modelling and lots of different materials that they can do what they want with, I know you said you do this in the kitchen but it might be nice not to have to put it all away - your older ones can start something and then leave it and finish it the next day if they want to. Or I might have it as a dressing up space I have a LOT of dressing up stuff and could easily fill a whole room!!!
Oh I'm not lucky enough to have a playroom and am dreaming of what I would like now. :(

VeggieSausage
05-12-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm very lucky to have a playroom, although it is rather small but I find it gets used mainly for storage. It's the only room we've not decorated so h has promised to put plain wall paper up at xmas which has got me thinking if a bit of reorganisation might mean it got used more.

Like I said it's not big, maybe 8ft x 6ft although I'm hopeless at measurements but that sounds about right lol At the moment, it has laminate flooring, the window and radiator take up the wall that faces you as you walk in so nothing can really go there, then one side has two cupboards so not much to use there, at the moment there is a toy kitchen against the wall in between the cupboards ikea wall storage above. The other long wall has a small table and chairs, bookcase and a black board. Like I said we rarely use it, messy play tends to get done at the kitchen table, so does snacks, meals etc so the table is rarely used and it's got me wondering if I should change it to more of a chill out area? What would you do, any ideas? I have my own girls 3y and 5y, plus 2 baby mindees of 1y and 18m, then another 4 4-6y olds.

Thanks

I am editing since I am very puzzled by the responses so far, I did state the playroom was 8feet by 6feet in my original post above, not sure why that's confusing :( I was asking for ideas to use the space better my storage isn't an issue, everything fits in the cupboards but at the moment they only play in there to use the kitchen, everything else is brought through to the living room and messy play, meals etc are done in the kitchen. I had just wondered whether anyone had a chill out room, was thinking along the lines of a big rug, cushions etc so we could use it to relax etc. Also, wondered if anyone had any thoughts on decorating, was pondering magnetic paint t not sure if it was any good? just for one wall to hang art work easier. I wrote the original post in a hurry but even rereading I'm still puzzled where all the judgement about my room being too small and me being over numbers came from :(

Post a photo

sarah707
05-12-2011, 05:55 PM
I have a small conservatory - not sure of the dimensions I'm hopeless at things like that :laughing:

I have shelving all down one wall and then a rug in the middle and a table and chairs so we can eat snack in there.

It is next to what was the dining room and I use the 2 rooms together so they collect toys from the shelves and bring them to the bigger space.

I have a big floor cushion and a book box next to it for the older children who like to chill with a book after school. The little ones sit and read during the day as well. I am careful not to overfill the box so the books do not get broken.

Hth :D

blue bear
05-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Depends what your children are into really, mine tend to chill in the lounge as the play room is the main place to play. We have a corner set up for craft a computer, home corner space and a train table which gets used for Lego/ Playmobil/dolls house etc.

The older ones seem to own the playroom as their own place and the younger ones generally play where ever I am.

It won't harm to try the chill out idea but I wouldn't be supposed if it turned into a den making area!

samb
05-12-2011, 08:02 PM
I think it is a great idea to have a chill out room if you think they would like that - beanbags/soft cushions, books, walkmans. Or maybe a games/activity room where certain activities take place in there - music time or role play? Why not try a few different things out and see when it is used more before decorating it differently? I think I would keep it as plain as possible (although if you go for a chill out room - how about draping fabric so it's like a marquee or some different coloured lighting?

candy cat
05-12-2011, 08:04 PM
I have posters on my walls .......a giant childrens map, alphabet, number posters, childrens photos, EYFS display, large white board ....childrens work etc. So if you haven't got time to decorate they are a great cover up and they transform a room.:)

crazyhazy
05-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks, at the moment the walls have a horrid thick wood chip type paper on them (all white) and everytime I take something off the wall that's been up with blutak and piece of wallpaper comes off too :laughing: hence the rewallpapering! I am so hopeless at making decisions lately but would love to actually use the space, will maybe have a chat with the older ones and see what they'd like. I am actually quite open to the popster who said I might find it gets used for dens etc, thinking that would be great on a rainy day! I think a carpet or at least rug is probably the key, cos it's pretty cold in there just now which doesn;t encourage us to go in lol

miffy
05-12-2011, 08:25 PM
I'd see what the children would like to use it for. I like the sound of rugs/cushions etc to make a chill out zone. It might also be nice to turn the space into a role play area - you could change the theme according to what the children like doing.

Miffy xx

Nature'sKids!
05-12-2011, 11:28 PM
Hmm... Our conservatory / playroom is about 2 1/2/ by 3 1/2 metres. (about 8 x 11 ish feet?)
However 2 sides are almost useless. It's a kind of L - shape, with a narrow corridor off one side to utility area, a door next to it to a storage area, then two Walls opposite each other with French doors so wall space is limited...
I find if I put nice colourful rugs in (I am using tescos bath
Mats actually, in all the different colours, they're great because they're washable!) the kids like it better - warmth and comfort is definitely a bonus! It's very bright too, deliberately kept storage neutral and nothing too busy on the Walls.
Some pics here:

http://beverleychildminder.m.webs.com/site/classic?url=http://beverleychildminder.webs.com/index.htm&back=http%3A%2F%2Fbeverleychildminder.m.webs.com%2 Fsite%2Fmobile%3Furl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fbeverleychildm inder.webs.com%2Findex.htm

stardust
06-12-2011, 12:14 AM
Gosh a room 8 x6 surely isn't big enough for that many children (8 if I counted correctly) and cupboards and toys I'm actually surprised Ofsted have allowed you the 2 extra under eights with so little space, especially with an assistant working with you as well. Thats a lot of people in a small room at once.

when my inspector came out in august he took measurements of all the rooms and i would be using for the children and then worked out the children from there so i can have 2 under 5s (as my son is under 1) and 3 under 8's plus over 8's no limit but was advised a maximum of 6! :eek: i am not allowing 11 children in my house at the same!! :rolleyes: this would be the outcome -> :jump for joy: :jump for joy: :jump for joy: :jump for joy: :jump for joy: :panic:

onceinabluemoon
06-12-2011, 06:59 AM
Since you have quite a few 'bigger' kids how about making it a big kid zone? Somewhere they can have stuff like Lego, playmobil etc out without the tines getting hold of it or trashing their buildings?

QualityCare
06-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Why don't you turn it into a home corner only with dolls small table & chairs and dressing up clothes, buy items as you can cooker sink etc unless you already have them.

sweets
06-12-2011, 04:04 PM
What about just putting a table in the middle of it and use if for painting, playdough and messy play?

Jelly Baby
06-12-2011, 06:10 PM
If you use the rest of the rooms for the messy play then yes i think a 'snug' type room would be quite good. Rugs, cushions, tv etc..a chillout room. Other toys can be stored in your cupboards and job done.

I am fortunate to have a playroom and the kids love it..we have a sofa, a big cube unit from ikea full of storage baskets and boxes, a table for colouring etc, a desk and tv/wii. The floor is a combination of the rubber matting over half of it and a big furry rug the other half!