PDA

View Full Version : 3.8 Million Children Own No Books

Jiorjiina
05-12-2011, 09:56 AM
According to a survey (http://news.uk.msn.com/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=159986640) by the National Literacy Trust.

The mind boggles.

EmmaReed84
05-12-2011, 10:15 AM
OMG! My son had a mountain of books by the time he was old enough to even hold one! I can not imagine not reading to my kids, it is the highlight of my day being cuddled up with my child reading a book, being nice and calm and having a "chat"

It is such a shame not all parents value a good bedtime story... If my kids mis-behave I can ban sweets, TV, toys, outings etc, but the one thing that really really would get them is if I was to ban a night of bedtime stories

Maza
05-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Very short sighted of parents. It's not just 'poor' kids (sorry, don't mean to generalise or offend) who don't own books, it will be across the board. I know several families who spend a fortune on their kids at Christmas and birthdays on the latest gadgets. I often ask "Did you buy them any nice books?" and the look of confusion on their faces... We didn't have money to buy new books when I was a child but we went to the library once a week and bought books from charity shops.

mummyme
05-12-2011, 10:24 AM
WOW! Terrible! I think I could give those 3.8 million children a book each from the amount my son has accumulated! :rolleyes:

ziggy
05-12-2011, 10:31 AM
surely not!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Helen79
05-12-2011, 10:37 AM
when there's 4million children living in poverty in the uk then it's easier to see why there's so many who don't own a book :(

The study only surveyed 18000 children so the figure they've given is probably an over exaggerated estimate anyway.

FussyElmo
05-12-2011, 11:05 AM
when there's 4million children living in poverty in the uk then it's easier to see why there's so many who don't own a book :(

The study only surveyed 18000 children so the figure they've given is probably an over exaggerated estimate anyway.

I was going to say this as it is an assumed figure not an actual because there is no way they have surveyed everyone in the UK :)

Helen Dempster
05-12-2011, 12:10 PM
I've just heard this on the radio - I wasn't really surprised what with all the technology kids have these days. I'm lucky enough that my own ds loves books (long may it continue) and I encourage him to read as much as possible. You can't beat a good book...and he's got 100s!!!! :D

onceinabluemoon
05-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Wow!

Personally I don't know a single child who doesn't own at least one book. Being home schooled my kids have hundreds. It's kind of sad they don't have any book, bet they have the latest gadgets or iPhones though...

miffy
05-12-2011, 01:19 PM
I find that sad, especially seeing the pleasure children get from books.

I have also heard some schools are getting rid of their libraries too!

Miffy xx

MAWI
05-12-2011, 01:25 PM
I find that so sad.

My daughters have shelves and boxes full!! I think my 9 year old could open her own library!
I have noticed a recent trend though that children are not interested in books so much. And by that I mean older school children who start with me. Even Thoguh i try to encourage reading you just know that some of them won't or don't read at home. I have two book shelves and can honestly say they're just gatherers for the most part.
EYFS children we read all the time and they love it.

nipper
05-12-2011, 01:41 PM
My two children (4 and 7) love catching the bus to go the library and I can remember my mum taking me to the local library in Kinver, Staffs when I was not even old enough to go to school. She would disappear off into the adults section next door and I would just spend ages choosing books and sitting down on the cushions. It was a lovely old library with vaulted ceilings and arched windows which had been previously been a grammar school so lots of history. Some days they even did a story-time before the junior school (where my other siblings went) broke up for the day. I loved the fact that I had a library ticket and by the age of 5 I could take out the maximum number of books, which in those days was about 12 I seem to remember. My mum died when I was 9 so I don't remember her at all but when I asked my older sister where I got my early love of books from, she replied 'Well, you know mum used to read to you very night before you went to sleep'.

This is her legacy that I want to pass onto my own children

As an ex primary teacher I can strongly see the links between children who find it easier writing stories and learning spellings at school and more importantly the parents who find the time to do this with their children. Sadly in today's world it seems there are too many other important things happening that mean parents cannot find time to sit down even for ten minutes to share a book with their children...it's all about positive role models and as I keep telling my husband, if my son saw him just occasionally pick up a newspaper, magazine or book and saw him read it, rather than staring at a laptop screen or his new touch screen ipad thingy, maybe he would take more of an interest...

Pipsqueak
05-12-2011, 02:17 PM
I think its so sad but unfortunately I can well believe it. This goes hand in hand with so many children who do not have proper speaking and listening skills and lack of communication skills.

the amount of children who have come through my setting who have no idea how to handle a book is shocking.

My own kids - two of whom are dyslexic loves books (well actually the one who isn't dyslexic is a fabulous reader but is not particuarly interested in books unless its Viz!!!:rolleyes: )

I love books and devour them

jane5
05-12-2011, 02:41 PM
My nearly 4 year old mindee told me he has not got any books :(

He loves storytime at my house and when he told mum she just said " I'm not buying any, you will just rip them".:rolleyes:

Guess what I have bought him for christmas :p

loocyloo
05-12-2011, 02:55 PM
i have a mindee who loves books and although he does have some, he says no one reads them to him, and i know why, mum is severely dyslexic and doesn't read. i suggested to her that they look at thepictures and make up their own stories, which they are doing, but mum finds it very hard.