PDA

View Full Version : Grrr

nipper
05-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Mum of mindee has just rung to say she is keeping him at home today (only does 9.15-12.15 twice a week) bcos older sister is off school ill. she said she was planning to go christmas shopping today but can't now. Could I possibly have him tomorrow instead? I replied only if she doesn't mind him coming to the dentist whilst I have some treatment!!!

Problem is, whilst I am still getting started and filling up and she knows I am quiet, how can I let these part-timers know I can only be flexible to a point. Should I have said that the space is not transferrable to another day?

I actually don't have any children in tomorrow, but that isn't the point. I was going to get on top of some paperwork...well that was the plan.

EmmaReed84
05-12-2011, 09:41 AM
I would just explain that on this ONE occasion you will let it slide, but your contract states specific days and any days outside of the contracted days are charged as extra. Also days are non transferrable.

Nip it in the bud now before you end up witha parent calling the shots... Personally I would have said no. x

~Chelle~
05-12-2011, 09:57 AM
At the end of the day, she has decided not to bring him, therefore it would count as a sick day.

I only transfer days with plenty of notice and she has not given you any notice at all. If you do it this once, she will expect it all the time x

ziggy
05-12-2011, 10:33 AM
I would agree to do it but explain you cant always be available

boxtree7
05-12-2011, 10:35 AM
i always find myself saying yes ... so in furture im going to say no right away or i will call in back in a minute.

nipper
05-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Well this is it, whilst she knows I am fairly quiet at the moment (I only have a six month old in on the same days as him). Hopefully signing a new full timer after christmas and I plan to let her know this as soon as contracts are signed. I must learn to think faster on my feet...suppose it'll come with practice!

nipper
05-12-2011, 11:05 AM
This is the same one who offered me a highchair and then suggested I take the money for it off her bill!!!

EmmaReed84
05-12-2011, 11:10 AM
This is the same one who offered me a highchair and then suggested I take the money for it off her bill!!!

:eek: no way lol... what a cheek! I would have laughed at her then said "oh you are serious?" just to get my point across

nipper
05-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Oh don't worry, I did just that!

Mouse
05-12-2011, 12:03 PM
I don't swap days and make it clear from the outset.

I will consider it if it is for a genuine reason, but I won't do it if parents think I "owe" them a day, ie. they have paid for a day they haven't used then think they are entitled to use the hours another time.

wendywu
05-12-2011, 12:15 PM
I would do it for a serious reason but not on a whim :mad:

Tealady
05-12-2011, 12:48 PM
I would have just said no, due to the dentist anyway. I think as you get older and wiser in this job you know when to say no.

I'm always firm at the start of a relationship, do cut slack on anything, until I learn what kind of parents they are. Then I can get more flexible once things are established, if they are the sort of parents who don't take the :censored: . It's easier that way than having to clamp down after being a soft touch.

But that's what 3 1/2 year experience has taught me.

miffy
05-12-2011, 12:54 PM
I don't swap days either - if all parents wanted to do that you wouldn't know where you were!

Only if there is a genuine emergency would I consider it - certainly not because mum wants to go shopping :rolleyes:

Next time (cos I'm sure there will be one) if you can't say no straight out then say you will come back to her - that way you won't find yourself agreeing to something and then regretting it later.

Miffy xx

onceinabluemoon
05-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Practice this " I'll check my diary and get back to you".

Best bit of advice I was ever given!

And I'm afraid I would have said no about tomorrow as you already have plans, i.e. going to the dentist. I never ever swap days, to be honest I've never had a parent cheeky enough to ask me to do it, but if I had I would make it clear the extra day is payable.

nikki thomson
05-12-2011, 01:36 PM

No way, the cheeky mare. I'm no good at saying no but on this occasion if I had the dentist I would definately of said no. X

nipper
05-12-2011, 01:44 PM
I'll check my diary and get back to you".

PS. I haven't really got the dentist, I just said it to see what her reaction was!

Chimps Childminding
05-12-2011, 05:31 PM
I'm also rubbish at saying no :blush: Put a list out of what I am working over Christmas. One mum who works shifts does 2 mondays, 2 wednesdays and every thursday a month (IYSWIM) text to say would she be charged for BH monday (boxing day) as her daughter was due that day? I replied no as I don't work BH so don't charge. Her reply was "FAB in that case can I book her in on Weds and Thurs that week instead???" No one else needs me on the weds so I have only got her :angry:

samb
05-12-2011, 08:15 PM
I personally don't mind swaps but I only do it if it's in my favour. So if I am already working and have a space I will do it especially if it's swapped from a day when I only have them as it means I get a day off. Or if they are swapping from a day when they are the only ones in to another one as long as I haven't got any plans I will do it as it doesn't really make much difference to me. However i always comment on how I can only do it as I am not full at the moment. After Christmas I am full mon - thurs ( I even have a variation so can have 4 under 5s on these days) and I have already had to say no to a parent I would usually swap a lot. She was fine and said she realised I wouldn't be able to once I was busier and she understood. :)

miffy
05-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Her reply was "FAB in that case can I book her in on Weds and Thurs that week instead???" No one else needs me on the weds so I have only got her :angry:

:( :( :( Ring her back and say you are not available on the Wednesday after all.

Miffy xx

Cinderbella
05-12-2011, 08:33 PM
I would have said that I have made plans for tomorrow xxx

Chimps Childminding
05-12-2011, 09:32 PM
:( :( :( Ring her back and say you are not available on the Wednesday after all.

Miffy xx

May do that!!! Especially as she only works half a day on a wednesday, but sends lo from 8-5 as she has to pay for the full day!!! :rolleyes:

For anyone who thinks I should only charge for the hours she uses on a Weds - I have to keep Monday, Wednesday and Thursday available as she uses Monday/Thursday 2 weeks of the month and Wednesday/Thursday the other 2 weeks, so she pays for 2 full days but I am keeping 3 open for her!

Cinderbella
05-12-2011, 10:47 PM
I would, she already thinks your at the dentist having treatment so you could use that as your excuse.

I have a 45 minute appointment next week for treatment with the dentist and would not feel comfortable with taking a child with me, It could make them frightened to go themselves and it is a long time for them too.

Just say that you have been thinking about it and you are worried about taking lo with you so your not feeling comfortable having her ... she will never know if you have been to the dentist or not xx

karen m
05-12-2011, 11:13 PM
I have a parent who works every tuesday,thursday every other friday then every other saturday,gave me list middle of nov,i never checked it as contracts signed for them days,she does not pay while lo in pre-school ,so told her i would not be point of contact,all fine,noticed yesterday suddenly a monday is marked on my list called her she caught me of guard and said yes that's right i go away on they wednesday so you wont have him for 2 weeks ,i will be prepared in future i am full on days her lo not here