PDA

View Full Version : Mumps!!!!

happyfeet
04-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Please help...

I look after a 2yr old who has had the mmr. His father is the one that drops him off and collects.

Last week he dropped him off on thurs and fri and collected him at end of both days. He said he didn't feel well and looked a bit fluey.

I've just found out today that the father has mumps!!!
Am I still ok to look after little one, he has had 1st dose mmr, or is there a chance that he could carry the virus and pass it to me and my family (other mindees have all had mmr).

I ask this as my 7yr old has not had mmr and I am 14 weeks pregnant.

I don't mind having little one but don't want the dad to bring him, but only want little one here if there's no danger of him carrying virus and passing it to me and my family.

I've tried ringing Nhs direct but can't get through.

He's due tomorrow so need to let them know asap if they can bring him.

sarah707
04-12-2011, 02:53 PM
You need to take urgent medical advice from your midwife or a medical practitioner before you work with a child who has come into contact with an illness that could harm you or your baby.

I would say put yourself first and cancel the child if you cannot get advice today.

Hth xx

happyfeet
04-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Spoke to midwife. She advised me to not have contact with the child at all until father clear.

Explained to mum, also about pregnancy (as no-one knew this yet)

Now they think it isn't mumps, just swollen glands.

Will find out tomorrow after visit to gp.

Nature'sKids!
04-12-2011, 07:28 PM
All vaccines can mutate and shed the virus! (one of the Many reasons I don't vaccinate!) the father is likely to have cought the virus from his son shedding.

blue bear
04-12-2011, 07:35 PM
My son had swollen glands which at first was diagnosed as mumps, turned out to be parainfluenza, he was off school for 13 weeks, really nasty it was. Make sure of diagnosis and take advice before having contact with the family, you really dont want to catch anything that might put you at risk.