PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a stair gate?

fluff1975
04-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Hello

One of my mindees is 7 months old and sleeps in our bedroom in a travel cot. He's just started crawling and can't yet pull to stand up.

Do I need a stairgate at the top of the stairs? Will Ofsted expect this when they eventually decide to visit me (my first inspection is 6 months overdue)?

I'm trying to think of everything!

Thank you in advance!

tashaleee
04-12-2011, 12:25 PM
I dont see why you would need one (I dont ever have one at the top of the stairs personally as I think they are more of a hazard for me than a safety item) - the child cant get out of the travel cot (risk) so there is no need to have one.

If you had a child that could get out of the cot you could put one on the room, but then you have to consider what they have access to in that room that is dangerous (ie in your room make up, deodrant, perfume, etc, or in another child's rooms inappropriate toys)

miffy
05-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Whether you have a stair gate or not is up to you but, like tashalee says, you will need to show Ofsted you have considered the risks and how you are keeping the child safe.

Miffy xx

fluff1975
09-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Thank you both. I RA the room daily and am happy with how it is at the mo so I won't be getting a gate just yet.

Thanks again!