PDA

View Full Version : modern day childcare theorists?

mertonparker
18-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Hi,

I am currently doing the DHC unit 2. I have started the assignment and am continuing to trudge my way through it-although must admit not too sure if on the right tracks etc. Have tutorial this week so im sure i'll find out then !

My question today is:

Can anyone tell me any Modern Day Childcare Theorists?
This is a piece of homework in addition to the course. we have to do a 5 minute presentation to the group comparing Olden day Theorists to modern day ones. Thought id do Carolyn Meggitt however cant find any biography/how she thinks/works etc. Then also realised cant find anything on anybody. Is there a certain place to find the information?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
mertonparker

ajs
18-05-2008, 10:52 AM
i am sorry i don't really know any child care theorists
but have you tried people like
penelope leach

christopher green wrote toddler taming he may have some words of wisdom for you

i will have a think and see if i can remember some more names

Pipsqueak
18-05-2008, 11:02 AM
http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/SearchWithinCategory.aspx?cat=%5Cbooks%5CReference %5CGeneralReference

http://www.antiqbook.co.uk/boox/unclep/600056.shtml

http://www.heinemann.co.uk/AssetsLibrary/SECTORS/Secondary/Catalogues/2008/Catalogues/Childcare.pdf

I can remember this bit was hard about the modern day theorists. If you can get the ISBN numbers from the above books you can perhaps borrow them from the library

How about Penelope Leach

Dr Spock

Pauline
18-05-2008, 01:35 PM
what about the chap who does Child of our Time, can't remember his name, Dr. Somebody. Maybe not into child care so much but definitely has an influence on people today.

also Jo 'Super Nanny' ?

miffy
18-05-2008, 01:59 PM
What about Tina Bruce or Penny Tassoni

The wikipedia website is good for background information or just google their names

miffy xx

ajs
18-05-2008, 02:08 PM
i knew you'd know miffy
prof robert winston is who pauline is thinking about

mertonparker
18-05-2008, 03:12 PM
i am sorry i don't really know any child care theorists
but have you tried people like
penelope leach

christopher green wrote toddler taming he may have some words of wisdom for you

i will have a think and see if i can remember some more names

Thank you Mandy will check them out.:)

mertonparker
18-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Hi All,

Many thanks for your replies.

Have gone through the whole caboodle of names. Was okay in finding someone from the "olden days"- chose Dr.Benjamin Spock however was having great difficulty in finding someone modern:mad: During the course night several of us gave the names of Penelope Leech, Jo frost, penny Tassoni etc etc and the Tutor said that because they wrote books didnt mean that they were a Theorist :panic: Anyhow have just decided to compare Dr Spock and Sir Robert Winston. If its wrong its wrong...She should have defined Theorist in more detail. Its only homework after all not part of my course work:)

Thanks again.x

Pauline
18-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Well to me a theorist is someone who has a 'theory' therefore I'd have thought that the ones you chose would have been good - but who am I to know :)

miffy
18-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Maria Montesorri was definitely a theorist and she died in 1952 - don't know if this is modern enough for you.

miffy xx

mertonparker
18-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Thank you all for your replies.

Will let you know how I get on.

mertonparker.x

miffy
18-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Good luck

miffy xx

Kelly
18-05-2008, 08:08 PM
I think the main three still living are:

Margaret Donaldson
Howard Gardner
Te Whariki

If you can count those who died in the last 20 there are quite a few to choose from, the best would be Chris Athey (died 1994) as there is loads written about schemas

Good Luck

Kelly

miffy
18-05-2008, 08:10 PM

Margaret Donaldson
Howard Gardner
Te Whariki

If you can count those who died in the last 20 there are quite a few to choose from.

Good Luck

Kelly

Oops I haven't heard of any of them :panic:

miffy xx

ajs
18-05-2008, 08:12 PM
neither have i :laughing: :laughing:

tulip0803
18-05-2008, 08:43 PM

Margaret Donaldson
Howard Gardner
Te Whariki

If you can count those who died in the last 20 there are quite a few to choose from, the best would be Chris Athey (died 1994) as there is loads written about schemas

Good Luck

Kelly

I didn't think Te Whariki was a person - isn't it the name of the New Zealand Early Years curriculum. We have just done it in my course and I thought it is the name of the curriculum in Maori.

http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index.cfm?layout=document&documentid=3567&indexid=3612&indexparentid=1095

mertonparker
18-05-2008, 09:32 PM

Margaret Donaldson
Howard Gardner
Te Whariki

Good Luck

Kelly

Hi Kelly,
many thanks for the names-must admit id not come across any of those during my 3 day search-probably looking in the wrong place as usual:blush:
off to check them out now...thanx.x

Reeta
18-05-2008, 10:05 PM
My question today is:
Can anyone tell me any Modern Day Childcare Theorists?
This is a piece of homework in addition to the course. we have to do a 5 minute presentation to the group comparing Olden day Theorists to modern day ones. Thought id do Carolyn Meggitt however cant find any biography/how she thinks/works etc. Then also realised cant find anything on anybody. Is there a certain place to find the information?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
mertonparker

Jay Belsky (1952-) Daycare analyst, pin-up of social conservatives. First year with baby is vital to well-adjusted future. 'Something's got to give as [working] women acquire a new role. What gives is the marriage.'

Penelope Leach (1937-) Champion of 'child-centred' care. Best-selling book Baby and Child, 1977, advises parents to take cue from baby, feed on demand not to timetable. First six months vital. Being apart (e.g.day care) after that is no threat to attachment with mother.

Benjamin Spock (1903-1998) Father of 'instinctive' parenting. 'Trust yourself. You know more than you think.' Let baby cry. Baby and Child Care remains a best-seller.

John Bowlby (1907-1990) Championed 'total maternal care'. Child could be irrevocably damaged if separated from mother at any stage in infancy. Created enormous guilt in 1950s and 1960s among working mothers.

John B Watson (1878-1958) Bitterly opposed intimacy. 'Never hug or kiss your children, never let them sit in your lap. If you must, kiss them once on the forehead when they say goodnight. Shake hands in the morning.'

X X X
Reeta

mertonparker
18-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Jay Belsky (1952-) Daycare analyst, pin-up of social conservatives. First year with baby is vital to well-adjusted future. 'Something's got to give as [working] women acquire a new role. What gives is the marriage.'

Penelope Leach (1937-) Champion of 'child-centred' care. Best-selling book Baby and Child, 1977, advises parents to take cue from baby, feed on demand not to timetable. First six months vital. Being apart (e.g.day care) after that is no threat to attachment with mother.

Benjamin Spock (1903-1998) Father of 'instinctive' parenting. 'Trust yourself. You know more than you think.' Let baby cry. Baby and Child Care remains a best-seller.

John Bowlby (1907-1990) Championed 'total maternal care'. Child could be irrevocably damaged if separated from mother at any stage in infancy. Created enormous guilt in 1950s and 1960s among working mothers.

John B Watson (1878-1958) Bitterly opposed intimacy. 'Never hug or kiss your children, never let them sit in your lap. If you must, kiss them once on the forehead when they say goodnight. Shake hands in the morning.'

X X X
Reeta

A massive thank you Reeta for that-just what the Doc (tutor) ordered. x

Rach30
18-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Lol honestly that watson bloke !! Feel sorry for any kids he had :rolleyes:

ajs
19-05-2008, 06:51 AM
when you read all of the experts comments above it's surprising that any of us have ever left our kids for more than a second in case we do irreprobale harm to them.
or even had the childrenin the first place