PDA

View Full Version : Will ofsted grant permission to look after 2 babies?

JMcG
01-12-2011, 07:10 PM
Hi there,

Just looking for some advice or your experiences if you've tried to do the same.

I'm a newly registered childminder and my friend wants me to look after her little boy. Problem is I am only allowed one under the age of one (I believe this is standard) and this is quota is taken up by my baby daughter.

At the time goes back to work her little boy will be 9 months and my daughter will be 10 months. I've been close friends of the family for a while and have been spending time with her little boy at least once a week since he was born.

I believe that I would have no issues what so ever looking after them both as I understand their personalities and needs and think it would actually be benificial for my friends little boy to continue his current routine of baby groups etc along with my little girl. He is also familiar with my home and older daughter.

I'm just not sure of the best way to approach ofsted? I'm thinking I will write a letter stating how I expect to meet both babies needs. State also that the variation would only need to be in place for 2 months until my daughter turns 1. I will also get my friend to write a note from her point of view as to why she would think it was beneficial for her son to be in my care. She was originally going to put him in the nursery where her sister works but it is now closing down.

Any advice/experiences would be great!

Beetlejuice
01-12-2011, 07:43 PM
From my own experience (and other people may have different experience) then I think it's unlikely, sorry. I had my own child who was 10 months and I was asked to look after a child who was 11 months old who was the cousin of a current mindee. I argued all sorts with Ofsted about them being a close family etc and how much they needed to leave their current childcare and argued all my points for having two under 1 but because a) I was a new minder and therefore not inspected yet and b) because it was new business I was refused. I was lucky in that the parent was so desperate to use me she waited until her child was 1 before she signed with me.

BuggsieMoo
01-12-2011, 07:47 PM
What are the conditions of your registration because as far as I am aware these are there and exclude your children (i.e if you are allowed 4 kids thats 4 plus your own iyswim).

The numbers based on your certificate are based on how many children you have and their ages. For instance in my circumstances I have 4 childen aged 4, 6, 8 and 10 years and Ofsted do not class the 8 and 10 year olds in my numbers now so I am allowed 4 - 2 in the EYFS aged range of which 1 can be under 1 and 2 over 5's - or all 4 can be over 5 years. If that makes sense.

I am also insured to care for 12 children at one time not including my own.

Some days I have 10 children - thats my 4 children and 6 mindees aged 14 months, 21 months, 4 years (rising 5 clarification and in full time education and is indeed 5 on Monday) 5 years, 8 years and 9 years. Only 2 are here all day and the other 8 - which includes my 4 are wrap around care.

I was concerned at first that I had got it wrong but the Ofsted inspector said it was correct :-)

loocyloo
01-12-2011, 07:52 PM
when my DD was 5mths, i had a variation to look after a 9mth old. 9mth old came for full days, 5 days a week! it was hard work, esp as 9mth had NEVER been put down, let alone left !!!

i don't remember ofsted having any problem with my variation, but i had had a couple of variations to look after baby twins before.

Winnie
01-12-2011, 07:53 PM
It is unlikely but the only way to know for sure is to fill out a variation form, there may be one in the resource section here or phone Ofsted and they'll send you one.

babs
01-12-2011, 08:14 PM
I had a variation for 2 babies one was 4 months the other was 6 as one mum wanted to go full time at same time meant I needed one to have 4 under 5s 3 days week although this no longer stands as both have gone to school my cert no says 6. children no more than 3 under 5s of which no more then 2 under ones I rang asked if it was right they said yes I keep the 2 under ones as I now have experience there.. but lost the four under 5s when two went to school. as its new business they would likely say no but mine was continuity of care for children I had at time.

The Juggler
01-12-2011, 08:58 PM
you wouldn't normally get it for new business hon, sorry. i'd say its unlikely :(

Loushah
01-12-2011, 09:16 PM
I asked exactly the same question yesterday, I am also newly registered and require a variation so can look after two under 1's in April for two months, including my son.

Miffy and Pandypops very kindly give me the below advise

Miffy 'Being newly registered shouldn't affect your chances of getting a variation for 2 under 1 year olds but Ofsted may decide to come and see you before they decide.

When you fill in your variation form make sure you put your case as strongly as possible showing how you will cope with feeding, changing, sleeping, transporting the babies etc.'

Pandypops 'There's certainly no harm in asking for a variation on your registration for two under-1's. There is a form you need to fill out and can be found in the Free Downloads section on this site.

I got a variation granted for two under-1's and I had only been minding for 3 months. However, mine did involve continuing the care of one child I already had and they did come and visit me because I was so new. It got turned around within 3 weeks.

The variation form you need to fill out is http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/Resources/CM%20Variation%20Form.doc

I have been doing a lot of research into this and have found this page on the OFSTED website regarding numbers
http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-numbers-and-ages-of-children-childminders-may-care-for

For ease I have copied it below:-

Caring for two babies aged under the age of one
The Early Years Foundation Stage allows you to care for two babies under the age of one where you can demonstrate you can meet and reconcile the individual needs of all the children being cared for. The Early Years Foundation Stage does not allow you to care for more than two babies under one. If you wish to do this, you must work with an assistant or another childminder.
We will not allow you to care for two babies when first registered unless you already have extensive experience of caring for more than one baby at a time.
In all cases, before making plans to care for two babies under the age of one, you will need to write to us with full details of how you will plan your day, meet the needs of all the children you care for and make best use of your space and resources. When deciding whether to agree to your request we will consider:
 the length of time you are providing care
 whether your furniture and equipment is sufficient for two babies
 how you will deliver the learning and development requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage to all the children you care for and help them make the best possible progress
 how you organise your day so that all children get enough of your time.
You may still normally only look after a total of three children in the early years age group. It is unlikely we will agree to you having more children in the early years age group. Once we have agreed your request we will give you a condition of registration agreeing to two babies under the age of one. You do not have to make a further request to us the next time this happens providing you still have this condition of registration.
Here are examples of childminders who have asked to care for two babies aged under one.
Example 1
This new childminder has considerable experience of looking after babies. She was previously a qualified nursery nurse, who worked in the baby room of a large day nursery. She has produced full but flexible plans showing how she will make best use of the childminding day and adapt her model to meet individual children’s needs. She would like the flexibility to care for two babies should she be asked and we agreed she could do so.
Example 2
This experienced childminder is bilingual and has been approached by two sets of parents who want their babies brought up in a bilingual environment. The childminder particularly enjoys looking after babies and does not want to care for any other children. She has set this out in her plan. We agreed to her request for two babies.
Example 3
This registered childminder was asked to take baby twins in addition to caring for a child of two. Her own children are aged six and seven and she has to take them to and from school. She has set out in her plan that she will use these school runs for the minded children to be out in the fresh air as part of their outdoor play. She has a double buggy but it is a long walk for the two-year-old and involves crossing two very busy roads. It is unlikely that there will be any real outdoor learning happening on these occasions because of the need for close supervision. She had no other plans for outdoor play. We refused the request because we did not believe that the needs of the two-year-old were properly met.

Loushah
01-12-2011, 09:19 PM
I asked exactly the same question yesterday, I am also newly registered and require a variation so can look after two under 1's in April for two months, including my son.

Miffy and Pandypops very kindly give me the below advise

Miffy 'Being newly registered shouldn't affect your chances of getting a variation for 2 under 1 year olds but Ofsted may decide to come and see you before they decide.

When you fill in your variation form make sure you put your case as strongly as possible showing how you will cope with feeding, changing, sleeping, transporting the babies etc.'

Pandypops 'There's certainly no harm in asking for a variation on your registration for two under-1's. There is a form you need to fill out and can be found in the Free Downloads section on this site.

I got a variation granted for two under-1's and I had only been minding for 3 months. However, mine did involve continuing the care of one child I already had and they did come and visit me because I was so new. It got turned around within 3 weeks.

The variation form you need to fill out is http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/variationform.html

I have been doing a lot of research into this and have found this page on the OFSTED website regarding numbers
[url]http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-numbers-and-ages-of-children-childminders-may-care-for

For ease I have copied it below:-

Caring for two babies aged under the age of one
The Early Years Foundation Stage allows you to care for two babies under the age of one where you can demonstrate you can meet and reconcile the individual needs of all the children being cared for. The Early Years Foundation Stage does not allow you to care for more than two babies under one. If you wish to do this, you must work with an assistant or another childminder.
We will not allow you to care for two babies when first registered unless you already have extensive experience of caring for more than one baby at a time.
In all cases, before making plans to care for two babies under the age of one, you will need to write to us with full details of how you will plan your day, meet the needs of all the children you care for and make best use of your space and resources. When deciding whether to agree to your request we will consider:
 the length of time you are providing care
 whether your furniture and equipment is sufficient for two babies
 how you will deliver the learning and development requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage to all the children you care for and help them make the best possible progress
 how you organise your day so that all children get enough of your time.
You may still normally only look after a total of three children in the early years age group. It is unlikely we will agree to you having more children in the early years age group. Once we have agreed your request we will give you a condition of registration agreeing to two babies under the age of one. You do not have to make a further request to us the next time this happens providing you still have this condition of registration.
Here are examples of childminders who have asked to care for two babies aged under one.
Example 1
This new childminder has considerable experience of looking after babies. She was previously a qualified nursery nurse, who worked in the baby room of a large day nursery. She has produced full but flexible plans showing how she will make best use of the childminding day and adapt her model to meet individual children’s needs. She would like the flexibility to care for two babies should she be asked and we agreed she could do so.
Example 2
This experienced childminder is bilingual and has been approached by two sets of parents who want their babies brought up in a bilingual environment. The childminder particularly enjoys looking after babies and does not want to care for any other children. She has set this out in her plan. We agreed to her request for two babies.
Example 3
This registered childminder was asked to take baby twins in addition to caring for a child of two. Her own children are aged six and seven and she has to take them to and from school. She has set out in her plan that she will use these school runs for the minded children to be out in the fresh air as part of their outdoor play. She has a double buggy but it is a long walk for the two-year-old and involves crossing two very busy roads. It is unlikely that there will be any real outdoor learning happening on these occasions because of the need for close supervision. She had no other plans for outdoor play. We refused the request because we did not believe that the needs of the two-year-old were properly met.

Hope it helps and good luck

Louise

JMcG
01-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Thanks so much for your help ladies! I'll apply for a variation as there is no harm is asking I suppose. I'm obviously going to need to spend quite a bit of time thinking over how I would meet the needs of both babies!