PDA

View Full Version : Qualified or unqualified childminders

Jodie1989
30-11-2011, 11:54 PM
How do you all feel regarding qualified or unqualified childminders? Before all the experienced childminders jump in with years and years of experience.. I know this is important but isnt being upto date wih new knowledge and practise important too and all the legisations as these are so important to protect children and give them the best possible start in life. I would want an experienced childminder however I would want a qualified one more so.

rickysmiths
01-12-2011, 12:53 AM
Being older and 'unqualified' does not mean that you are not up to date with new idea and current legislation etc.

I have been a Childminder for 17years and became on purely to allow me to be able to be at home with my own 2 children who were 11 months and nearly 3 years old. (often frowned upon now as a reason to reg).

I took on a 16 week old baby (common back then because Maternity Benefits were not nearly as generous as they are now), I had him for 4 hours every afternoon term time only. Suited me fine, mornings with my two, a small income. I looked after this child until he was almost 3 and had his brother for nearly a year as well.

I had no formal Childcare qualifications. However I had Professional Qualifications and 22 years work experience in a variety of work places, nearly three years experience as a mother and I was 41 years old.

I have always treated my Childminding as a Business and have kept full records and accounts, always done Scrap books for the children long before the advent of EYFS and Learning Journals.

I have always and continue to attend local Childminder Training in order to keep up to date and to extend my knowledge and continually seek to improve my practice.

I have achieved my county Quality Standard Award, always been graded as good or good with outstanding in my Ofsted Inspections. I have a thick file of commendations from parents past and present.

What formal qualifications might have added to my ability to be an excellent childminder for so many years?

I certainly have never considered myself to be an 'Unqualified' Childminder in comparison to one who maybe you consider to be more 'Qualified' just because they may have the 'A'Level, Level 3 Diploma Children & Young people's Workforce?

My Professional qualifications far exceed this in terms of quantity, quality and and are of a higher level. Add to that my age and work/life experience and being a parent of 2 when I started out. I think that possibly puts me in a better position than maybe a 20 something with limited work/life experience, and an 'A' Level in childcare?

I don't think you can actually refer to Unqualified and Qualified in they way you have without upsetting people. I don't think it is the right kind of comparison to make. It is a bit like comparing calk and cheese.

Many of my friends trained to be teachers. Back in the old days teachers did not have to go to University and take a Degree. Many went to teacher Training College and did a Teaching Certificate. Many of those teachers have 10 years longer to work before the government will let them retire.

If you found out that one of these teachers as apposed to a Degree qualified teacher was teaching your five year old when they started school would you regard that teacher as unqualified and not up to date etc. just because the rules have changed since they joined the profession?

Jodie1989
01-12-2011, 05:36 AM
This is always a touchy subject because people that are unqualified always feel abit sensitive to it and feel the need to defend themselves which is why I clearly said in my post 'experience is essential and good practise. I ask because I'm interested in what people think.

My personal opinion which everyone is entitled to, is that I have been in the childcare and assessing childcare sector for many years without my hard work studying I would never have got the positions I had been in. These days you can't be a nursery nurse or family support work or assessor without qualifications, I wonder why childminders are different. Experience is great and a brilliant thing to have as a mum I have gained such a lot of experience but I just wonder why childminders dont need to be qualified as its a professional job.

Jodie1989
01-12-2011, 05:43 AM
Also I don't just mean level 2 and 3 nvq in children's, learning and development I mean courses such as safeguarding- this should in my opinion be compulsory due to some very serious cases and some people aren't aware with how to deal with situations I don't think an extra bit of knowledge on the most important factor would hurt anyone. EYFS training' look listen and note observation, equality and diversity training the list goes on and on no one knows everything and you learn such alot from them even learning one new thing is a bonus or just a refresher course it great. But like I say experience is obviously a key factor and I respect that.

EmmaReed84
01-12-2011, 06:31 AM
I am newly registered and also have 2 children of my own 6 amd 3. This is something that I am on the fence about. Yes qualifications are great especially in areas of safeguarding etc. However a friend of mine was looking for childcare and it was during the period I was registeing. She met with several people and got it down to two people and asked my advice. As my friends child has some learning difficulties she wanted some one suitable.

One had been a childminder for 20+ years had 3 grown up children and 4 grandchildren, she had a large family with lots of young children, was confident and had dealt with different people and situations so had a vast knowledge of what cm entails.

The other was a young lady mid 20's who had one young child, been doing it for 3/4 years and had loads of quailifications. However was yet to deal with certain situations and seemed uncomfortable with my friends child. My friend said she looked like she was trying to be what she had trained to be, rather than being natural.

So although quailifications are great and yes I will be doing different courses etc I dont think you can knock those who have a wealth of experience... Needless to say my friend went with the "unqualified" person.

onceinabluemoon
01-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Exactly what is it that you consider makes a childminder a professional? Which courses do you think we should have passed/be doing?

I have a degree, several A levels, Access courses, IT courses, safeguarding courses, working in the protection team courses, first aid courses (more than just the paeds one needed as I'm also ambulance crew for SJA), GCSEs, CSEs O levels etc etc. I'm now working on a level 3 diploma in childcare.

BUT its the 32 years caring for children that makes me what I am not silly bits of paper that show I can pass a few exams.

Let me ask you a question:

You are having a baby, you need to get to hospital fast, the route is along the motorway (so high speed driving allowed), you can go with your dad who has been driving for 30 years or your best friend who has just passed their test.

Who would you choose then and why?

EmmaReed84
01-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Let me ask you a question:

You are having a baby, you need to get to hospital fast, the route is along the motorway (so high speed driving allowed), you can go with your dad who has been driving for 30 years or your best friend who has just passed their test.

Who would you choose then and why?

:clapping: :clapping: Just to add the new driver also did a pass plus so has an extra qualification lol :laughing: :laughing:

Pipsqueak
01-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Also I don't just mean level 2 and 3 nvq in children's, learning and development I mean courses such as safeguarding- this should in my opinion be compulsory due to some very serious cases and some people aren't aware with how to deal with situations I don't think an extra bit of knowledge on the most important factor would hurt anyone. EYFS training' look listen and note observation, equality and diversity training the list goes on and on no one knows everything and you learn such alot from them even learning one new thing is a bonus or just a refresher course it great. But like I say experience is obviously a key factor and I respect that.

having a safeguarding or any 'qualification' (or training) does not mean people know what to do. You also may know what you have to do and carry it out and the 'chain of command' is broken or useless somewhere along the lone.

You say what you have said is a 'touchy subject' - yes it is - I have experience AND training (degree qualified) but what I think defines me is the experience. Can I just ask - taking Ricky for example.... because I have a degree does that make me better than Ricky... she has 17 yrs (i think she said) experience I have 10 yrs minding and 6 years in other settings.... who is better then? (Oh my degree is fresh this year). Is an outstanding minder better than a minder who has a good with outstanding features. Its touchy because essentially you are saying that without qualifications a minder is not up to date.... what makes a good minder is one who is up to date, passionate about the job (the whole kit and caboodle) and so on.

Its all very subjective isn't it?

As for minders being professional... we all know we are but its still not recognised as such though is it

Ripeberry
01-12-2011, 08:06 AM
:clapping: :clapping: Just to add the new driver also did a pass plus so has an extra qualification lol :laughing: :laughing:

Passing a driving test and pass plus just means that you are 'safe' to carry on by yourself.
Years of experience are sometimes more important than a qualification. People can still take extra driving qualifications such as the 'Institute of Advanced Driving' safer driver course.
But then people don't do it because they think they are good at driving, when most people on the road drive like looneys, especially on the motorways.

When looking for a CM for my own children, I wanted a person who had their own child. Qualifications are not the only thing to be looking for, experience is just as or more important. And yes I do keep up with the latest thinking and practices, I just read it for myself, not paying someone thousands just to give me a piece of paper.

nikki thomson
01-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Being older and 'unqualified' does not mean that you are not up to date with new idea and current legislation etc.

I have been a Childminder for 17years and became on purely to allow me to be able to be at home with my own 2 children who were 11 months and nearly 3 years old. (often frowned upon now as a reason to reg).

I took on a 16 week old baby (common back then because Maternity Benefits were not nearly as generous as they are now), I had him for 4 hours every afternoon term time only. Suited me fine, mornings with my two, a small income. I looked after this child until he was almost 3 and had his brother for nearly a year as well.

I had no formal Childcare qualifications. However I had Professional Qualifications and 22 years work experience in a variety of work places, nearly three years experience as a mother and I was 41 years old.

I have always treated my Childminding as a Business and have kept full records and accounts, always done Scrap books for the children long before the advent of EYFS and Learning Journals.

I have always and continue to attend local Childminder Training in order to keep up to date and to extend my knowledge and continually seek to improve my practice.

I have achieved my county Quality Standard Award, always been graded as good or good with outstanding in my Ofsted Inspections. I have a thick file of commendations from parents past and present.

What formal qualifications might have added to my ability to be an excellent childminder for so many years?

I certainly have never considered myself to be an 'Unqualified' Childminder in comparison to one who maybe you consider to be more 'Qualified' just because they may have the 'A'Level, Level 3 Diploma Children & Young people's Workforce?

My Professional qualifications far exceed this in terms of quantity, quality and and are of a higher level. Add to that my age and work/life experience and being a parent of 2 when I started out. I think that possibly puts me in a better position than maybe a 20 something with limited work/life experience, and an 'A' Level in childcare?

I don't think you can actually refer to Unqualified and Qualified in they way you have without upsetting people. I don't think it is the right kind of comparison to make. It is a bit like comparing calk and cheese.

Many of my friends trained to be teachers. Back in the old days teachers did not have to go to University and take a Degree. Many went to teacher Training College and did a Teaching Certificate. Many of those teachers have 10 years longer to work before the government will let them retire.

If you found out that one of these teachers as apposed to a Degree qualified teacher was teaching your five year old when they started school would you regard that teacher as unqualified and not up to date etc. just because the rules have changed since they joined the profession?
Well said. X

EmmaReed84
01-12-2011, 08:25 AM
Passing a driving test and pass plus just means that you are 'safe' to carry on by yourself.
Years of experience are sometimes more important than a qualification. People can still take extra driving qualifications such as the 'Institute of Advanced Driving' safer driver course.

I was being facetious. It just ticked me the thought of choosing a newbie driver or a 30+ driver when in labour to drive high speed down the motorway.

Personally I think the idea of someone being told you are "unqualified" because you do not have a piece of paper to say you can do something in THEORY in my opinion offensive... esp if said person has 15+ years of experience which in my eyes is a qualification in its own right

Pauline
01-12-2011, 09:10 AM
I worked as a childminder for 15 years before doing any qualifications, I then did my NVQ 3.

I don't think the qualification changed the way I work in any way, I don't think it made me a better childminder, or even made parents think differently about me, I did it simply for myself because the time was right, it was more a need to prove to myself that what I was doing was right. :)

Jodie1989
01-12-2011, 09:23 AM
That is a good sentence Pauline.. About you proved to yourself you were doing right. It is not a right or wrong question about 'qualified or unqualified' about 30 years driving experience it all depends some drivers that have years and years driving are as dangerous as ones with no experience lol. I think as long as you know what you should be doing as a childminder its up to you whether you study or not. I think you get the 'older childminders by that I mean more experienced that have lots of life experiences and find they don't need to train , but the younger ones may need it more as they have no or little experience. So then they end up qualified and experienced which must be the best option having both :)

rickysmiths
01-12-2011, 09:26 AM
I worked as a childminder for 15 years before doing any qualifications, I then did my NVQ 3.

I don't think the qualification changed the way I work in any way, I don't think it made me a better childminder, or even made parents think differently about me, I did it simply for myself because the time was right, it was more a need to prove to myself that what I was doing was right. :)

Well said Pauline. :thumbsup:

sharonmanc
01-12-2011, 09:49 AM
I am coming at this from a teacher perspective as i have not started minding yet. BUt I have taught with some very qualified teachers, OHD's Masters degree's and there teaching is appauling, a piece of paper does not equip you with the skills to do this kind of job. I go for experience every time, even with my own children when looking for a minder I went for a lady with over 25 years experience.

That i not to say someone who has never had children or worked with children will not be a fantastic childminder.

Then you also have to look at the quality of the qualification, some courses I have been on have been dire, yet I still have my qualification, does that make me any better, I think not.

rickysmiths
01-12-2011, 09:57 AM
I actually didn't add to my post. I am currently completing the new Level 3 Diploma Children and the Young People's Workforce. We also have to do a GCSE in Maths and English to complete this qualification.

Why am I doing this 'A' Level and 2 GESE (which I have at 'O'Level by the way but they are now considered out of date :rolleyes: )?

Firstly to prove to all those out there who seem to think that as an 'unqualified' childminder I am incapable of being up to date, on top of regulations requirements etc and so am some kind of second class provider, despite my record of excellent inspections.

Secondly because it was offered by my County at the beginning of the year for a cost of £250 to me instead of £2000 (which by the way I would never have considered paying).

My two children, one who started Uni this term and the other who started in 6th Form this term and my parents think it is a joke that the 'industry' seem to think these qualifications are the be all and end all for cms like me.

The fact that their importance seems to take over from all my much higher professional qualifications which include qualifications as a work place Trainer, my wealth of experience and my years of ongoing training INCLUDING CHILD PROTECTION, which Jodie 1989, I have always done EVERY THREE YEARS as does my dh who is Reg as my assistant. Not only that we have both done Designated Persons child Protection Training which is very rare for a childminder. I hold a Diploma in Food Hygiene which took a day a week at college to complete.

Jodie 1989 I think you have opened a big can of worms and I think all childminders are qualified, just in different ways and maybe not the conventional ways. I think what you are trying to say is the difference between Good and bad childminders and that has nothing to do with age or qualifications.

I know and have known dreadful examples of childminding over the years and it has been across the board, old, young, 'qualified' and 'unqualified'. Long standing minders and brand new minders, who with the benefit of the free training they have had should have jolly well known better than to put the lives of the children in their care at risk! (the minder was reported )

I have never regarded myself as unqualified to childmind just because I don't have childcare bits of paper nor have the many, many parents and children who have used my care and continue to use my care.

rickysmiths
01-12-2011, 10:01 AM
I am newly registered and also have 2 children of my own 6 amd 3. This is something that I am on the fence about. Yes qualifications are great especially in areas of safeguarding etc. However a friend of mine was looking for childcare and it was during the period I was registeing. She met with several people and got it down to two people and asked my advice. As my friends child has some learning difficulties she wanted some one suitable.

One had been a childminder for 20+ years had 3 grown up children and 4 grandchildren, she had a large family with lots of young children, was confident and had dealt with different people and situations so had a vast knowledge of what cm entails.

The other was a young lady mid 20's who had one young child, been doing it for 3/4 years and had loads of quailifications. However was yet to deal with certain situations and seemed uncomfortable with my friends child. My friend said she looked like she was trying to be what she had trained to be, rather than being natural.

So although quailifications are great and yes I will be doing different courses etc I dont think you can knock those who have a wealth of experience... Needless to say my friend went with the "unqualified" person.

Well said Emma

mummyme
01-12-2011, 10:04 AM

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

You've said it all. I would much rather have somebody with experience looking after my child. That would be my first thing, and obviously u get a good or bad feeling when you meet somebody too.

I believe that a childminder could have qualifications coming out of her/his ears which is obviously fantastic (Im not putting people down who have) but this does not improve their ability to make my child happy.

rickysmiths
01-12-2011, 10:06 AM
I am coming at this from a teacher perspective as i have not started minding yet. BUt I have taught with some very qualified teachers, OHD's Masters degree's and there teaching is appauling, a piece of paper does not equip you with the skills to do this kind of job. I go for experience every time, even with my own children when looking for a minder I went for a lady with over 25 years experience.

That i not to say someone who has never had children or worked with children will not be a fantastic childminder.

Then you also have to look at the quality of the qualification, some courses I have been on have been dire, yet I still have my qualification, does that make me any better, I think not.

I agree. Having done the course and got the Cert doesn't mean it is always integrated into practice either.

mummyme

I dont think you'll find many childminders out there who havn't had safeguarding training. Ofsted like us to have that.

singingcactus
I am both very experienced (20 years in early years) and very qualified. When I look for someone to care for my child, I look at the person who is going to be caring for my child and I look at my child and at how my child's needs are being met. I will only leave my child with an individual who cares for my child in the way I want them cared for. I want a person who can intuitively support my child's learning, not lead it.

Qualifications are neither here nor there. I want someone who will be my replacement for while I am unable to be there with him. I want a pseudo me, not a person with a fat portfolio, or no portfolio, I want a specific kind of person regardless of what certificates they may or may not have.

When I leave my child in an educational institution, where he is expected to learn a set syllabus, I want my child to be taught by a person who has been taught to teach that syllabus, and qualified in it.

When my child was in nursery, the government funded sessions that are designed to ensure school readiness, I wanted someone who was qualified to support my son in this, and to have a good knowledge of his development.

But, when I want my child cared for and nurtured and supported in his holistic development I want a caring, nurturing and supportive person to do this. A piece of paper is just a piece of paper, it's not a ticket to the perfect daycarer for my child.

As I say, I am very qualified and very experienced so this is not me getting defensive about not having the qualifications you specify, cos I do have them - but they are irrelevant to my ability to provide caring, supportive and intuitive care for my little charges.

EmmaReed84
01-12-2011, 10:13 AM
I am both very experienced (20 years in early years) and very qualified. When I look for someone to care for my child, I look at the person who is going to be caring for my child and I look at my child and at how my child's needs are being met. I will only leave my child with an individual who cares for my child in the way I want them cared for. I want a person who can intuitively support my child's learning, not lead it.

Qualifications are neither here nor there. I want someone who will be my replacement for while I am unable to be there with him. I want a pseudo me, not a person with a fat portfolio, or no portfolio, I want a specific kind of person regardless of what certificates they may or may not have.

When I leave my child in an educational institution, where he is expected to learn a set syllabus, I want my child to be taught by a person who has been taught to teach that syllabus, and qualified in it.

When my child was in nursery, the government funded sessions that are designed to ensure school readiness, I wanted someone who was qualified to support my son in this, and to have a good knowledge of his development.

But, when I want my child cared for and nurtured and supported in his holistic development I want a caring, nurturing and supportive person to do this. A piece of paper is just a piece of paper, it's not a ticket to the perfect daycarer for my child.

As I say, I am very qualified and very experienced so this is not me getting defensive about not having the qualifications you specify, cos I do have them - but they are irrelevant to my ability to provide caring, supportive and intuitive care for my little charges.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Pipsqueak
01-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Thinking more on this... the childminder I chose for my son (whilst I was studying for my degree) has a level 3 and that is it, she keeps up to date with 'stuff' etc.

However, even without training or qualifications she is a wonderful minder - who cares from the bottom of her heart, everything she does revolves around the child - her home is so welcoming and warm, she is great at what she does, she is a natural at what she does too (Ofsted recognised all this and she gained an Outstanding so deservedly).

She is an inspirational lady and I would choose her over many others I have been on courses with hands down every single time.

I know some minders who attend every single course going because they think it makes them look interested and good.... what they don't realise it that they need to apply what they have learned !

Jodie1989
01-12-2011, 10:23 AM
I simply asked a question, it would open a big can of worms as everyone has different opinions no one is right or wrong. Rickysmiths- I'm sure your practise is great and you don't need a cypw to prove that, you have said about your experience and I respect your opinion. It's just interesting to hear all childminders views.

Jodie1989
01-12-2011, 10:27 AM
I dont think you'll find many childminders out there who havn't had safeguarding training. Ofsted like us to have that.

As a childminder I know how important this is :) from dealing with situations its important to be confident about safeguarding.

rosebud
01-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Interesting discussion.
I have a Foundation Degree in Early Years and believe I am a better childminder since studying, for me, this was the right thing to do.
Do I think that all childminders should gain a qualification - absolutely NOT - this is a personal decision which should be made by the person concerned. Some of the best childminders I know have no childcare qualifications at all, they are fantastic at their jobs, are knowledgable and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them. I base this on their interactions with the children which to me is the most important thing.
I know its not the "professional" thing to say but I think that huge parts of this job are instinctive - the way we respond and interact with children, the way we work with parents for example. I would argue that things like this can only be taught to a certain extent in a classroom and that for some people it is the experience of actually "doing the job" that develops these skills.

Not sure if that makes sense!

LittleVoice
01-12-2011, 02:55 PM
I have 2 daughters, 2 1/2 and 6 months. My eldest has been going to a childminder for nearly 2 years.

When we were looking for childcare 2 years ago, my husband and i looked at several childminders, 1 educated to degree level, 1 with level 3 in childcare and one with no qualifiactions and I have to say the childminder with no formal qualifications was by far the best out of them all.

She strives to improve herself though attending traininng courses, personal development and constantly assessing her own practice. The other 2 childminders qualified in education and early years hadnt attended any courses in the 18 months up too me visiting. When asked why both responded that their degree, qualification taught them so much they didnt need to access any additional training at the time. All they had done was their safeguarding and ICP.

My daughter was so much more at ease with the unqualified childminder than either of the other 2, on our visit she crawled over to her and sat on her knee (she was only 8 months at our first visit) that too me told me everything i needed to know. And to this day my daughter still loves going to her, she even hurryies me out of the door on a Wednesday morning shouting the childminders name!

Even when i went on maternity leave my husband and i decided that we would still like her to go 1 day a week for 6 hours a day and she still loves to go, if she didnt we wouldnt send her, however i get a few hours 1-1 with my youngest and Charlotte gets a lovely day with her childminder and her other mindees. If she didnt enjoy going we would not send her.

I understand that these 2 'qualified' childminders are in the minority, i simply wanted to highlight that not all unqualified childminders should be overlooked because they are just as good as a qualified person. Me personally i would always choose a childminder with experience and no qualifiactions that someone who is qualified but doesnt feel right.

Ripeberry
01-12-2011, 03:04 PM
I simply asked a question, it would open a big can of worms as everyone has different opinions no one is right or wrong. Rickysmiths- I'm sure your practise is great and you don't need a cypw to prove that, you have said about your experience and I respect your opinion. It's just interesting to hear all childminders views.

Don't worry, it's a good 'can of worms'. Opens up a discussion and it's been very interesting for everyone :thumbsup:

Jodie1989
01-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Don't worry, it's a good 'can of worms'. Opens up a discussion and it's been very interesting for everyone :thumbsup:

Thank you :) I was beginning to feel like a baddy for asking a question on peoples opinions.

Pipsqueak
01-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Thank you :) I was beginning to feel like a baddy for asking a question on peoples opinions.

Blimey this has been a very tame discussion! lol

we are not like other forums - we are civilised! lol

Pauline
01-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Blimey this has been a very tame discussion! lol

we are not like other forums - we are civilised! lol

My thoughts exactly (except for the Ape of course :D)

uf353432
01-12-2011, 06:06 PM
I have been childminding for 3 years, been a parent for 6 years.

At the start of this year I passed the new level 3 diploma - I might have been one of the first in the country to complete it as far as cache communicated to me. I am starting my Foundation Degree in Early years in Feb next year.

I am qualified in terms of my daily demonstration that I know my apples, the natural ease I have around children, the enjoyment I get from my job, the reassurance I give parents that the wellfare of their children is paramount - my further qualifications have merely solidified my knowledge and given me personal growth. When parents interview me its the interaction between me and the children, my professional attitude and the good vibe they get that I am right for their family. Most people have already decided their child is coing to me - because they have seen me do my job, seen me with the childre, have been reccommended - and are not really interested in any formal qualifications.

I communicate any qualifications I have received to existing parents - it reassures them that I am working hard to develop, it shows that I am a professional - but would they stop using me if i'd not hit the books, not attended course? no I doubt it - because its the 'experience' that matters more to them.

Pipsqueak
01-12-2011, 06:36 PM
My thoughts exactly (except for the Ape of course :D)

ahhh but the Ape is just untameable!!! lol

The Juggler
01-12-2011, 10:02 PM
the good Cm's i know range from unqualified to qualified with litttle expeirence to lots. the not so hot ones, the same range of backgrounds.

those good minders who take qualifications become better those that are not so hot, don't change just because they go on courses. they store the certificate and carry on as before. :panic:

i think wanting to do the best and keep up to date is a personal choice and not down to any qualification or experience.:(