PDA

View Full Version : An Unsupervised Child...

littleelm
30-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Hello Everyone,

I don't really know whether to be concerned or not, so I thought I'd get some opinions off you lovely folk!

I was walking past my local pre-school this afternoon at about 3.40pm. It is attached to the local primary school, but the primary school was closed today because of the strike. The pres-school remained open. I have never been in the school or the pre-school as haven't lived here that long.

There was a little boy who was four or five in the outside 'garden' area attached to the preschool and he was on top of a small climbing frame. There was NOBODY with him at all and there is no way into that garden area aside from going through the pre-school.

I know the pre-school was in session today as I saw two staff and presumably their own children (of a variety of ages... who i'm assuming they took into the pre-school for the day as the school was closed) walking away from the building about 20 minutes later when I walked past again on my way back from the corner shop.

Before i'd come on these boards, I would probably have thought nothing of it. But it really did send off alarm bells for me. Namely that he could have fallen off that equipement and really hurt himself. He was at least 4 feet up on the climbing frame.

What would you do? If I were to report it, who do I report it too? I don't know if the school is in charge of the pre-school or if it's a seperate entity that just runs on the same site. So I don't know if reporting it to the school would be the right thing? Can I/should I report it to OFSTED?

Many thanks and sorry it's a bit of a rant!
xxx

boxtree7
30-11-2011, 08:14 PM
it might have been one of the teachers children

littleelm
30-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Surely no child (regardless of whom they belong too) should be unsupervised anywhere on school or pre-school property.... especially as he was only 4 or 5 and especially as there was potentially dangerous playground equipement that he could fall off?

mushpea
30-11-2011, 08:25 PM
it may have been a teachers child, or they may have been watching him where you couldnt see them say around a corner or from inside the building or maybe it was a sibling of a preschool child and mum was there picking up, I dont always go out in the garden with my minded children as I can see the whole of my garden from indoors and they range from 18months upwards,, the youngest child dosent put things in there mouth, I know the children well enough, I know they are safe as my garden is inspected everytime before they go out and as i said I can see them so maybe that was the preschools thinking too. maybe the preschool likes to encourage adventure and independance.

Goatgirl
30-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Maybe someone was inside but able to look outside to keep an eye/ear on the little person? I've often done this with my own children.
Not sure I'd report it exactly, but maybe contact the school's head and let them know what you saw so they can investigate? and/or the pre school management?

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along and have better advice :)

best wishes,
Wendy :)

blue bear
30-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Turning this around what would you want someone to do if it was a child in your garden?
I think I would prefer that you'd have knocked on the door and checked I was aware what child was upto. If the staff appeared totally unaware and not bothered then you would consider reporting but they might have been able to reassure you child was being supervised and all was fine.

Maybe pop in tomorrow and explain what you have seen?

FussyElmo
30-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Wouldnt the pre school habe been closed by then? Or do they work later where you are. IF it was a pre school by me I would have just assumed it was a member of staffs child who was having a play outside while waiting them.

Jodie1989
01-12-2011, 09:45 AM
I wouldn't report it to ofsted, instead I would of politely go and said are you aware their is a child outside. Ofsted is a huge jump and unless your 100% sure this child is in their hands I wouldnt. The staff often let their own children to play which still isnt great but they do. Also mayb someone was watching them but not where you could see. :)