PDA

View Full Version : Elimination Communication

clorogue
29-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Have any of you heard of this? I have only just heard of it.

It is a toilet training practice in which a caregiver uses timing, signals, cues, and intuition to address an infant's need to eliminate waste. Caregivers try to recognize and respond to babies' bodily needs and enable them to urinate and defecate in an appropriate place (e.g. a toilet). Caregivers either use diapers (nappies) as a back-up in case of misses, avoid the use of them altogether, or do a mixture of the two. EC emphasizes communication between the caregiver and child, helping them both become more attuned to the child's innate rhythms and control of urination and defecation. The practice can be done full time, part time, or just occasionally. The term "elimination communication" was inspired by traditional practices of diaper-less baby care in less industrialized countries and hunter-gatherer cultures.[1] Some practitioners of EC begin soon after birth, although it can be started with babies of any age.

Wonder whether any of you have used it -or know anyone that does. Interesting.....

uf353432
29-11-2011, 11:33 PM
I used cloth nappies for both my girls and my 2nd from about 8 months really got very upset at doing poo's in her nappy. It coincided with her stools firming up and she would literally scream when she was doing a poo - so the moment I saw her signal that she needed a poo I would strip her down and put her over the loo and let her do the do in the loo. I wasn't doing it to early train her, it was only to make it more comfortable for her and gravity does help. We did get to the point by 9 mths that we learnt the signal way before we got to screaming and she would always use the loo for number 2's.

I think though to do proper EC with babies it takes alot of time and patience and well there is alot of mess. Its well practised in countries where nappies are very much a unnecessary luxury that most cannot afford.

JulieA
30-11-2011, 08:37 AM
I saw a documentary on it a couple of years ago. I understand the concept - and think it does have it's place, but is born of necessity in poor countries (and probably the way we would have been before the 'invention' of nappies. However, in a developed country I don't think it is practical. To do it properly you essentially devote your whole time to looking for the signal and clearing up.

One image from the documentary that sticks in my mind was a large group of mums who met for a picnic - all EC with their children - and every time one of the children looked like they were about to wee or poo jars were whipped out to catch the excretions - nice!

My children used a mixture of disposable nappies and cloth nappies - depending on what we were doing - and this was perfectly adequate.

Anyway, this is my personal opinion and not intended to start any debates.

Mouse
30-11-2011, 09:14 AM
I think it's something a lot of parents/carers do when the child is getting ready for potty training - you look for the signs and have them on the potty or toilet before they even know they need to be!

I had to do it with 2 of my mindees who struggled with toilet training. I had to look out for the signs rather than rely on them telling me. It certainly has a use for children who are ready to potty train, but I don't see the point of it for babies. It's not going to make them be potty trained at the age of 6mths and I wouldn't have the time to dedicate my day to watching out for signs. You know you'd only have to turn your back for a minute & you'd have widdle everywhere!

Nature'sKids!
30-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Yes we do this / did this. Unfortunately due to a holiday we couldn't keep it up 100% Which led to setbacks :( he was 99% dry both day and night until about 11 months old when we had the holiday. Started him at 6 weeks full time but used to catch poos before then too.

kindredspirits
30-11-2011, 01:03 PM
I couldn't do it - I don't have the energy or patience to spend 24 hours a day watching a baby for signals they need the toilet - and I don't like mess! lol

I do have total respect for those that choose to do it but its just not for me!

JCrakers
30-11-2011, 01:25 PM
I too didn't know anything about this until I read a thread on here. I have respect for any parent that wants to give it a go but I personally don't really see the point. You need to devote all your time and attention to watching the child, (which I don't have)

There's some videos on youtube where parents do it from birth. As a child professional I don't see the need but each to their own :D
And as a childminder I definitely wouldn't agree to it as I have better things to do than watch a young baby for signs of when it might be weeing or needing a poo
:D

Mouse
30-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Yes we do this / did this. Unfortunately due to a holiday we couldn't keep it up 100% Which led to setbacks :( he was 99% dry both day and night until about 11 months old when we had the holiday. Started him at 6 weeks full time but used to catch poos before then too.

That's interesting. Did you just leave him without a nappy day & night from 6 weeks old? Presumably he didn't wear clothes, or you wouldn't be able to see the signs? What about going out & about? And did you hover him over the toilet to catch his 'eliminations', or did you have another way of catching them? I do think it's easier to spot the signs with boys than girls!

It sounds all too much of a faff for me, but I do have a friend who would be interested.

Nature'sKids!
30-11-2011, 06:34 PM
That's interesting. Did you just leave him without a nappy day & night from 6 weeks old? Presumably he didn't wear clothes, or you wouldn't be able to see the signs? What about going out & about? And did you hover him over the toilet to catch his 'eliminations', or did you have another way of catching them? I do think it's easier to spot the signs with boys than girls!

It sounds all too much of a faff for me, but I do have a friend who would be interested.

Up until about 4 months he always wore nappies - just fitted nappies without a cover so I could tell if he was wet. On his legs he wore legwarmers / babylegs.
When I stopped using nappies I had him in trainer pants if we were out, or bare bottomed at home, again with either baby legs or EC pants / split crotch pants.
Its pretty standard practice in a lot of Asian countries :)

Nature'sKids!
30-11-2011, 06:36 PM
You can get "potties" that look a bit like a bowl or some people use dolls potties for newborns. During the night I had a potty by the bed.

Mouse
30-11-2011, 07:45 PM
You can get "potties" that look a bit like a bowl or some people use dolls potties for newborns. During the night I had a potty by the bed.

But didn't he just get wet at night without a nappy on? Surely you couldn't watch him all night looking out for signs?

Nature'sKids!
30-11-2011, 11:48 PM
They dont wee when they're asleep! They HAVE got bladder control. Usually during the first months they wee after waking and after feeding. So when he would wake for a feed or stir during the night I simply lofted him onthe potty and then he'd go back off to sleep :)