PDA

View Full Version : what is the role of a D.O

mufftie
29-11-2011, 03:02 PM
And can you say no to them
I'm just sat in the car outside the school with sleeping littleones and whilst my assistant runs in to colllect the older children I thought I'd ask this , as after 8 yrs of childminding I get a call from a woman who apparantly is my D.O , I actually politly said I wasn't interested in her help as I've never needed or even been offered it before , just wondered if this would go against me , my ofsted inspector this yr was very pleased with me so I presume I'm going just fine on .my own

Penny1959
29-11-2011, 03:42 PM
You can say no to them Mufftie - but I think it is worth letting them come once as they usually do have useful information and can keep you up to date - normally it is just a case of chatting with them.

And if you don't like your DO (well IA - Improvement advisor in your area) just don't ask them again.

However the LA do keep a record of your 'engagement' with them - and if you do not let your IA visit, do not go to the childminding forums or attending training that they put on - you will be marked 'down' on their system - and could even end up witha 'cause for concern' against your name.

My view is it is better to go along with these things and just smile. You do not have to do what they suggest - and there is no way they should 'tell' you what to do.

Penny :)

rickysmiths
29-11-2011, 04:46 PM
I must confess I would say no.

We had a useless DO in our area who got to know some minders so well she knew their minded children by name she was in their houses so often and they were the ones who believe me didn't need help :angry:

She didn't even recognise some minders never mind help them.

I was never called in all the six years there was someone even when I was new to the area and rang to ask about cm groups. No one offered anything, so no I would have told them politely to get lost.

Why after so many years would they suddenly need to visit someone and how dare they 'mark down' someone who they have never bothered to contact before? I would go mad if I discovered anyone had done this to me, how dare they, how arrogant and rude.

Penny1959
29-11-2011, 04:57 PM
I must confess I would say no.

We had a useless DO in our area who got to know some minders so well she knew their minded children by name she was in their houses so often and they were the ones who believe me didn't need help :angry:

She didn't even recognise some minders never mind help them.

I was never called in all the six years there was someone even when I was new to the area and rang to ask about cm groups. No one offered anything, so no I would have told them politely to get lost.

Why after so many years would they suddenly need to visit someone and how dare they 'mark down' someone who they have never bothered to contact before? I would go mad if I discovered anyone had done this to me, how dare they, how arrogant and rude.

RS - think you have missed part of my post - yes it would be rude and arrogant to mark someone down for the not having contact if none offered - but it is not just about that - it is about attending forums, meetings, workshops and training - all of which are not reliant on a DO contact you - and I know RS that you do access training - so you would not be marked down - the ones that are marked down are the ones that do not attend anything - and most LA's have a similar system.

As to why would they suddendly want to visit - in Muffties area - universal support for childminders - as in home visits - has only just been made available - before this only accredited cm's had a visit - so I think they are justified in making contact so that cm's are aware this support is available if they want it.

One of the things we always need to remember is different LA's do things different. Considering the cutbacks Mufftie is very lucky to be offered support as some areas have none.

Penny :)

sarah707
29-11-2011, 05:51 PM
My DO is a very nice lady and always welcome here.

I thank her for any new information or initiatives she shares with me... then make a considered decision whether to do as she advises or carry on my own merry way.

:D

uf353432
29-11-2011, 06:00 PM
I've got to be perfectly honest - I think alot of DO's are really useful contacts to have. I don't mean on a day to day basis - but for some of the wider issues we have to face, changes locally, access to information and suggestions on training and qualifications. I think that they are an extra pair of eyes who are on your side - so can look at your setting and make observations or suggestions for change that you can consider or ignore. They can help with disputes - or if you had concerns over another minder - you could have off the record chats. I personally really like my DO, I have worked closely with her in the past and am very supportive of the work they do. I work to a really high standard but am always grateful if they spot something I have overlooked - or praise me when I am doing a job well done. In my local area they have just started extending DO assistance to all CM'ers and I think its really welcome - not everyone wants the support. But no reason at all why meeting at least once is a bad thing. Its an opportunity for you to show what a gem you are and how well you have done without any help from the LA.

blue bear
29-11-2011, 08:04 PM
My current D/O is brilliant, has been a childminder herself and really understands the job. She's always mailing this and that to us and we can do what we like with the info. Visits have been really scaled back but she's always prompt answering phone or email messages.
I personally think Its well worth at least meeting the D/O then you can make your own mind up how useful further contact might be.

Louise317
29-11-2011, 08:37 PM
My DO is nice, not very hands on when when she was here offered me so training that would be helpful such as 'I talk' which I start next week. She brings updates on information too. They can be useful and you can use them as little or as much as you want I guess.