PDA

View Full Version : Free nursery places doubled for 2 year olds!!

kats
29-11-2011, 06:53 AM
I have just heard on Daybreak that it is going to be announced today that the government intend to double the amount of free nursery places for 2 year olds. I understand that this is good news for parents but not for us as childminders as obviously if parents can get childcare free then they wont use childminders! Im finding it hard to get mindees as it is at the moment so this is only going to make things worse. :panic:

linzi133
29-11-2011, 07:09 AM
I know what you mean.

Although the places are only going to be those most dis-advantaged. Some of the criteria is that they must be in receipt of means tested benefits- have a CAF- .....there are lots of criteria to get a funded place. I know because my son needed to have a place but because we weren't on benefits (their words not mine) he couldn't have a place.

I'll dig out the criteria as I know I have it somewhere.

I know our local authority are in the process of accrediting childminders so they can offer funded places.

sarahjane
29-11-2011, 07:22 AM
At the moment I am going through the process of becoming an accredited childminder so that I will be able to accommodate these children.
I am hoping that as I will be one of two in this area (my friend is also going through the process) that I will benefit from this change.

It might be a good idea to contact your local authority to see whether this is a possibility for you to do this too.

singlewiththree
29-11-2011, 07:30 AM
I'm on the network and we can offer the places even though we aren't accredited. I am now accredited too though.

Pauline
29-11-2011, 07:30 AM
It is my understanding that all childminders will get the chance to take part without being accredited. It is all part of the two-year old pilot.

Like singlewiththree we have all been offered the chance in our area and it is already starting to be used. :thumbsup:

linzi133
29-11-2011, 07:42 AM
That's good news Pauline...... In our area they are making us jump thru hoops! Even though no childminder I know I my area can take on any extra as we are all full to busting with under 5's......so are the local nurseries. !

miffy
29-11-2011, 07:51 AM
It is my understanding that all childminders will get the chance to take part without being accredited. It is all part of the two-year old pilot.

Like singlewiththree we have all been offered the chance in our area and it is already starting to be used. :thumbsup:

I don't think we've all been offered the chance - I didn't know anything about it

Miffy xx

Pipsqueak
29-11-2011, 07:52 AM
I already offer places via the 2yr old scheme (for four years now)- which is what is being extended.
I would approach your EY team and see what this means for you as a childminder.

sarahjane
29-11-2011, 07:52 AM

That's interesting, I haven't been given this information - any idea where you have seen/heard it please?

tashaleee
29-11-2011, 07:55 AM
One of my issues with this is the fees - in our area the accredited fee is around £1 an hour less than standard childminding rates. Does anyone know what the government will pay us for this?

desiderata
29-11-2011, 07:56 AM
I havent heard about this either. We have to jump through major hurdles to get accredited at the moment x

rickysmiths
29-11-2011, 08:00 AM
This is one of the reasons I have been doing my NVQ because in this area we were not allowed to become accredited without it.

The thing I object to is that the fee paid by the government is supposed to help mothers back to work, first mistake because it isn't enough hours, second is that the provider is compromised in most cases because the fee doesn't match their normal fee so they are out of pocket.

This means the provider is effectively paying part of the parents fee as well and so are paying via their tax and again by not being paid their normal fee per hour. I think this is a blooming cheek and I wonder how many MPs would be happy to be put in this position?

christine e
29-11-2011, 08:04 AM
the D f E currently have a consultation running on this

http://www.education.gov.uk/consultations/index.cfm?action=consultationDetails&consultationId=1782&external=no&menu=1

sarahjane
29-11-2011, 08:08 AM
One of my issues with this is the fees - in our area the accredited fee is around £1 an hour less than standard childminding rates. Does anyone know what the government will pay us for this?

Its not ideal at all, but the way things are with my business at the moment, some money coming in is better than no money coming in :(

Thanks for the link, will have a look at that,

mama2three
29-11-2011, 08:19 AM
there have been meeting locally during November ( Notts) regarding the extension of the 2 year pilot scheme - essentally what is being ' advertised' today on the news.
All childminders in our area are eligible as long as they have good or better at their most recent inspection. I was first approached before my 1st inspection but wasnt eligible due to this, and have since been part of the 'project'
Speak to the local childrens centre - it has ( here anyway) been the family support workers who allocate places based on need - mainly communication delays but other factors also.
Accreditation certainly not neccessary.

Pauline
29-11-2011, 11:32 AM
That's interesting, I haven't been given this information - any idea where you have seen/heard it please?

We have the information through our Development Officer for local info, I would approach your early years team if I were you.