PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed...parent paying late

dette
27-11-2011, 06:55 PM
I've got a problem.I've a parent who should be paying weekly in arrears but now owes me 3 weeks money.Ive been minding for him for 3 month now.it was ok at first but then he started coming with some money but not all...kind of "heres 50 thats all ive got on me ".He said hed bring the rest tomorrow but when tomorrow came he just dropped her off and left.When he picked her back up i asked if he had the rest .so far Ive had a catalogue of excuses..bank card broken..cheque not cleared...left wallet at home.Im working 66 hours a week for him.Cooking every meal for his daughter and feel very under valued.I hate asking for my money .ive never had too.parents always paid.What should i do.He now owes about 400.
Ive just comitted myself to a new roof(scafold went up yesterday)that ive needed for 4 years on the strength of having a regular income. so cant really tell him to take a junning jump..feel held over a barrel..what should i do

wendywu
27-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Say that you are will care for the child again when he has paid up to date. If he turns up in the mornings without payment then send him complete with child down to the cash machine. Sorry but he will just have to be late for work .

Always get paid in advance :angry:

~Grasshopper~
27-11-2011, 07:01 PM
hi

i would type up an invoice now including any late payment fee's. if you dont already have them write up a policy now and implement it. i would then hand deliver the invoice tonight and inform parent no more childcare will be provided until you are upto date with payment.

dont mind the child until he has paid in full. you arent loosing anything by refusing as if he's messing you around now then i expect he has no intention of paying full stop.

good luck x

Pipsqueak
27-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Agreed and once you have the money sorted. state that payment for the week will be made on the Monday morning at drop of time..... no payment no childcare

kats
27-11-2011, 07:50 PM
I must admit i am really tough where payments are concerned, i didnt used to be but have learnt the hard way. Only last monday one of my parents dropped of the children with no payment, i made it clear that i had to pay the money into the bank that morning or i would have overdrawn fees after some dithering she went home and came back with the money, as it made her late for work she might think twice in the future and remember to bring the money, at the end of the day this money is our wages but i really think some parents think its just a bit of pin money :)

blue bear
27-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Stop taking his excuses and smiling at him as he rolls off his stories!
Lay it out as it is, tell him you need the money to pay for the roof and have to pay this week. If he stills tries to fob you off explain you understand but you need to be paid, how would he cope if his boss didn't pay his wages?
You could possibly work out a payment plan for the arrears but I personally would be talking about stopping care until money is paid.

The Juggler
27-11-2011, 10:00 PM
agree with Wendy. Tell him it's unacceptable and no further care will be provided until payment is up to date. back it up with a letter for him (and for your files).

When he pays then sit him down at collection and explain that from now on care will be refused if fees are late and that late payment charges wil be added daily :)

dette
28-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Thanks for all your advice..i sent him a text with total outstanding bill last night.He told me this morning that its pay day on wednesday and he can pay the lot off then.i told him it will also include monday and tuesday of this week aswell by then.I know i should have been more firm but this is difinitly last chance time.Loads more sob story ...had to buy new washer(which i knew coz iVe been washing his daughters clothes aswell !!!!) and to top it off had to pay for xmas work do...£200 !!!!
So .....wednesday then i'll follow all your advice.i'll let you know x

AliceK
28-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks for all your advice..i sent him a text with total outstanding bill last night.He told me this morning that its pay day on wednesday and he can pay the lot off then.i told him it will also include monday and tuesday of this week aswell by then.I know i should have been more firm but this is difinitly last chance time.Loads more sob story ...had to buy new washer(which i knew coz iVe been washing his daughters clothes aswell !!!!) and to top it off had to pay for xmas work do...£200 !!!!

Hun you are going way above and beyond the call of duty for him. If he turns up Weds without full payment please tell him you cannot accept his child until payment is made. It's just not good enough. He is treating you like a mug :(

xxxx

sharonmanc
28-11-2011, 01:39 PM

sorry had to jump in, if he can afford £200 for a eork do and a new washign machine he can afford to pay you, these are not priorities.

In the past i had my machine break with 3 kids and hand washed their clothes, I made sure childcare was paid because without it I could not work. Some parents have their priorities all backwards, I am sorry to say, but it sounds like he is taking the @@@@

I woudl be adding late fees and on wednesday if he turns up without the cash or part of it, i would take what he gives you, and refuse care until the rest is paid. You have to be careful because he has paid part of what he owes in the past and still recieved care he may try it wednesday and expect the same again.

I am so sorry he is messing you about like this.

miffy
28-11-2011, 02:29 PM
on wednesday if he turns up without the cash or part of it, i would take what he gives you, and refuse care until the rest is paid.

I would do the same - he's shown paying off this debt is not a priority for him and I wouldn't allow it to build up any more than it already is.

It sounds like you have been very kind and he is taking full advantage of you. Time to get tough and get what you're owed now!

Good luck
Miffy xx

JCrakers
28-11-2011, 04:56 PM
If you give people an inch, they will take a mile :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed for Wednesday, hope he pays.
Then like everyone else has said, invoice him with the money needed and a date it needs to be paid by. State the late fees if not paud and just go from there

Cant believe he's paying £200 for a xmas party when he cant even keep up with fees :rolleyes:

Jodie1989
28-11-2011, 05:15 PM
You must be strict with payments. I No I am, if they don't pay you how do you pay your bills, always get them to pay up front and don't take child unless they do. Always be professional. If I was a parent not paying I'd be so embarrassed.

dette
30-11-2011, 01:14 PM
WELL.... just had the dad pop round to pay me..gave me 350 ..the bill was 450.he hadnt took enough out of bank.!!!
To be fair 66.50 isnt actully due till friday coz that was for mon and tue of this week but that still means he owes 33.50.My DH said i should tell him tomorrow that if the rest isnt paid by friday(which is this weeks pay day)then i cant have her till its paid...I wish i was a bit tougher,He was here all proud showing me the xmas prezzies hes just bought for his little girl which were a bag of cheap things from home bargains and i felt guilty takin the money.
I love my job just hate all the financial stuff.Should i still be that harsh with him now that its nearly paid..

Pipsqueak
30-11-2011, 01:22 PM
WELL.... just had the dad pop round to pay me..gave me 350 ..the bill was 450.he hadnt took enough out of bank.!!!
To be fair 66.50 isnt actully due till friday coz that was for mon and tue of this week but that still means he owes 33.50.My DH said i should tell him tomorrow that if the rest isnt paid by friday(which is this weeks pay day)then i cant have her till its paid...I wish i was a bit tougher,He was here all proud showing me the xmas prezzies hes just bought for his little girl which were a bag of cheap things from home bargains and i felt guilty takin the money.
I love my job just hate all the financial stuff.Should i still be that harsh with him now that its nearly paid..

Why should you feel guilty - he has had a service and now he needs to pay. With that money you feed and clothe your family, pay for the roof over your heads and keep the baliffs away oh and buy your kids some pressies. Yes toughen up woman!:) Would you feel guilty paying for something??? No you wouldn't!

Yes I agree with your hubby - pay up by friday the remainder and then do NOT let it get this far gone again. Weekly payments up front on a Monday - or no childcare.

rosebud
30-11-2011, 03:32 PM
I must admit i am really tough where payments are concerned, i didnt used to be but have learnt the hard way. Only last monday one of my parents dropped of the children with no payment, i made it clear that i had to pay the money into the bank that morning or i would have overdrawn fees after some dithering she went home and came back with the money, as it made her late for work she might think twice in the future and remember to bring the money, at the end of the day this money is our wages but i really think some parents think its just a bit of pin money :)

I think this is very true. I am very clear at the beginning of every contract that because I live on my own and don't have a second income from a partner this is my only income and not a bit of pocket money. Not that this should really make any difference we should be paid no matter what, but many people do assume that we just do this for a bit of extra money.

dette
04-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Well i,ve actually been paid upto date..eventually .Asked for this weeks money on friday(hate having to ask)he said would pay after work..his mam collected the child so ...suprise ,not paid.
Sent text with bill...no reply.Saturday morning sent another text saying please pay today as I have bills to pay.!
he came after work and paid up to date.
Gonna follow all your advice and not let this happen again..thanks

blue bear
04-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Well done getting up to date but be aware now he's had his wages and paid his debt to you he might not have enough mobey to pay you each Friday so text him Thursday night with amount and ask money to be put in envelope in child's bag Friday morning, no more excuses! No pay = no childcare