PDA

View Full Version : Vests?!

linzi133
26-11-2011, 08:34 PM
When should a child stop wearing vests?

I've had a very interesting conversation with a mum tonight about them. Her LO (6yrs) was very cold today.... He only had a short sleeve t shirt on. I couldnt find a jumper for him but did have a vest. He was a bit confused but put it on and very quickly decided he liked wearin a vest.
Mum picked him up and i mentioned about the vest and thought it was a good idea if he wore one now it's getting cold. She then exclaimed oh but he's too old for a vest. Only babies wear vests. They don't sell them for kids!!!:eek:
I explained that wearing layers was much better than I big layer etc etc. but she was quite puzzled as to why he should wear a vest. And that it was too close to Christmas but she knew he needed a jumper!

So..... Am I right..... 6yr old do wear vests?!

(oh this is a young mum who has told her son to bite his nails and she refuses to cut them as boys are supposed to bite their nails!)

Nature'sKids!
26-11-2011, 08:44 PM
Grew up in Austria, all kids wear tights and vests until they're 10 or so and move on to "big school". Bit with up to 2 metres of snow in your back garden it's understandable! Lol

My nephew (here in England) is 8 and wears vests.
Certainly makes sense when it's cold

sarah c
26-11-2011, 08:47 PM
ive got to say this but is she on another planet my daughter is coming 6yrs and yes im a young mum to (25yrs) and my daughter wears vests and she will carry on wearing them specially in this weather, they normally stop wearing them when they come to the end of primary school but then they normally wear a tshirt under their school shirt to keep them warm.

omg parents like this get me mad and for the nails doesnt she realise how much bacteria is under a childs nails and thats going in his mouth because she wont cut them

sorry to rant on

x

Pipsqueak
26-11-2011, 08:49 PM
I see no reason why a 6yr old, 16yr old 36yr old or a 76yr old shouldn't wear a vest if they feel the need to.

I use my summer strappy vest tops as vests in the winter.

It surely makes sense to layer up...

rickysmiths
26-11-2011, 08:53 PM
My 17 year old son is in 6th form and he hasn't had a winter yet without wearing vests!!
Albeit his vests since year 7 (11yrs old) have been short sleeve t shirts. Vests per say aren't 'cool'!!

My dh wears them when it gets cold, better not say his age but he has past his half century!

I don't wear vests but as it gets colder I wear cammy (sp)tops and a cardi or jumper.

We are all scouts and have long known the benefit of several layers to keep warm. :thumbsup:

kellib
26-11-2011, 08:57 PM
My 6 year old son still wears a vest, he hates the cold so he'll be wearing one throughout his whole life I would imagine :laughing:

linzi133
26-11-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one. This mum does need lots of support and generally she is generally good at following my advice. So to be honest I do expect him to come next week wearing vests..... But always doubt myself after I have said something.

As for the nails.....well.... Her LO doesn't want to bite his nails so I have been teaching him how to use nail clippers safely. Mum knows this and is adamant boys should bite their nails! But is ok with him using nail clippers (under my supervision!)

Mollymop
26-11-2011, 09:13 PM
There is nothing wrong with wearing a vest my kids don't wear them I just didn't put them in one from pre-school onwards think it's cos they always wear a t-shirt/blouse/shirt and a school jumper and I remember the feeling of wearing a vest at school and a shirt and feeling too overwhelmed --- my kids go to bed in pants without night clothes on cos they had to feel to hot (!??) I think it is just a child's own preference.
xxx

singingcactus
26-11-2011, 09:18 PM
There is nothing wrong with wearing a vest my kids don't wear them I just didn't put them in one from pre-school onwards think it's cos they always wear a t-shirt/blouse/shirt and a school jumper and I remember the feeling of wearing a vest at school and a shirt and feeling too overwhelmed --- my kids go to bed in pants without night clothes on cos they had to feel to hot (!??) I think it is just a child's own preference.
xxx

This is us too! Classrooms are way too warm for vests and teeshirts.

mushpea
26-11-2011, 09:21 PM
I see no reason why a 6yr old, 16yr old 36yr old or a 76yr old shouldn't wear a vest if they feel the need to.

I use my summer strappy vest tops as vests in the winter.

It surely makes sense to layer up...

lol I am 36 at christmas and I still wear vests in the winter , i dont think you are ever too old to wear vests, if your cold then you should wear them,, if you are like my OH and like an oven all day the you dont need to.

linzi133
26-11-2011, 09:33 PM
I can see why he wouldn't wear them at home as mum has admitted that she runs the heating full blast all the time. And she never wears a jumper.
But I have an old Victorian drafty house and we wear a jumper/cardigan and layers if it gets cool. . . He was really cold today (I even turned the heating up slightly for him much to OH disgust as he couldn't then sleep after night shift as the house was too warm!)

Joda
27-11-2011, 10:37 AM
My 10 year old boy wears a vest.

debh
27-11-2011, 11:40 AM
seems to me it is"out of fashion" to wear a vest especially for girls. We have 20 children on our books and 75% of them don't wear a vest including my grandchildren. I have often bought my grandchildren vests to encourage parents to put them on but rarely see them on.

Velleity
27-11-2011, 04:05 PM
My five year old wears a vest. Never considered not putting one on him.

dette
27-11-2011, 07:07 PM
MIne love wearing vests ..and my DH too

Pipsqueak
27-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Its todays society isn't it - if you are cold wop up the heating....

rather than conserve your own body heat.....:rolleyes:

Roseolivia
27-11-2011, 08:16 PM
My dd(4yrs) wears one in the winter but doesn't come summer as she gets really hot. I'm with Pip, i wear a vest top usually under my clothing to keep me warm.

Pipsqueak
27-11-2011, 08:19 PM
My dd(4yrs) wears one in the winter but doesn't come summer as she gets really hot. I'm with Pip, i wear a vest top usually under my clothing to keep me warm.

ooooh I haven't noticed you in my vest tops I'll look tomorrow when I put one on:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Tinglesnark
27-11-2011, 08:31 PM
My 2 wear vests also, in fact its a mission to get them used to NOT wearing a vest in the summer. They wont get dressed without a vest. I used to be the same and i do layer up even now. I rarely need a winter coat as ive always got layers on.
My motto is you can always cool down by stripping off (ooer mrs!) but its so hard to warm up if you havent enough clothing with you! I actually panic if i havent got enough layers with us and always keep a jumper and coat each in the car/buggy "just in case" :laughing: Dh moans at me because ive always got so many clothes with me, says i need a red checkered cloth on a stick :laughing:

Vests rule!

x

sillysausage
27-11-2011, 09:25 PM
I wear vests! and I wear one virtually everyday, apart from a few days this year (and when we went on holiday). My lower back is the first part of me that feels the cold and my vest has to be long enough to reach my bum (ok, so I mean tuck in my knickers :laughing: )