PDA

View Full Version : Bullying question

JennyM
26-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Can anyone help me with this please.

I have a six year old mindee, B. She has had some problems at school and is being bullied by another child. Her Mum has been to the school to talk to them about it.

Her Mum and I have spoken about it quite a bit and I try to look out for signs when she is upset, be there for her to talk to etc.

On Friday afternoon, B was very quiet and withdrawn. She came around a bit but would only say she was tired. When Mum picked her up, I mentioned that she had been quiet and not very happy. Mum texted me later to say it was school bothering her and they had had a chat.

Mum has just texted me and said she is really worried, B is very upset and doesn't know what to do.

As a childminder, what am I officially supposed to do? Should I get involved with talking to the school? Or am I just here to be a safe, happy place for B and someone for B to talk to?

I don't want to fail them but I don't want to get in over my head either?

stardust
26-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Can anyone help me with this please.

I have a six year old mindee, B. She has had some problems at school and is being bullied by another child. Her Mum has been to the school to talk to them about it.

Her Mum and I have spoken about it quite a bit and I try to look out for signs when she is upset, be there for her to talk to etc.

On Friday afternoon, B was very quiet and withdrawn. She came around a bit but would only say she was tired. When Mum picked her up, I mentioned that she had been quiet and not very happy. Mum texted me later to say it was school bothering her and they had had a chat.

Mum has just texted me and said she is really worried, B is very upset and doesn't know what to do.

As a childminder, what am I officially supposed to do? Should I get involved with talking to the school? Or am I just here to be a safe, happy place for B and someone for B to talk to?

I don't want to fail them but I don't want to get in over my head either?

Personally I would encourage mum to set up a meeting at school, offer to go with her for support. The school has a duty to protect their students agreed some times they do a half a**ed job but they are supposed to. Maybe you could all work together? if your mindee is 6 maybe speak to mum about introducing a thoughts diary for her daughter to write in?

Its hard and i hate bullying so am quite pro active about it x

Pipsqueak
26-11-2011, 08:54 PM
i would be keeping a log of incidences and notes of changes in behaviour and anything she says/does

Encourage mum to write down that it affecting the child this way at home and in turn impacting upon mum/dad/siblings/dog etc....

I would be using your knowledge of legislation to empower mum
I would be helping mum get hold of the schools policies on pastoral support/student welfare, bullying, behaviour management, any home school agreements and help mum highlight where the school are failing this child.

Get it ALL in writing to teh school - they CANNOT then ignore it.

Start helping mum make some waves.

You could ask the NSPCC for some advice or direct mum to them - they have brilliant bullying support.

The Juggler
27-11-2011, 11:14 AM
i agree. def. persuade mum to set up a meeting with the school and ask then what their plan is to deal with the situation i.e. find out who/what is causing the problem and plan to deal with it.

Bullying incidences need to be reported to both the governing body and the LEA usually so they have a huge responsibility to respond to yours and mums concerns.

hope your mindee is ok x

JennyM
27-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks all.

Mum has had a meeting with the school but I've suggested that she needs to go in and speak to them again as they don't seem to have done anything. I have told her that I am happy to support her.

I will also suggest that we both keep a log of things mindee says and does regarding the bullying.

Poor thing, it shouldn't happen when they are so young.

wendywu
27-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Thats where im different. I butt in with the school and have done so many times.

But i have been collecting form the same two linked schools for 19 years so we have a really good relationship.

No one bullies my little ones huh :mad: