PDA

View Full Version : Car seat laws

xshellbellex
26-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Hi does anyone know the current laws regarding cars seats.

I am fine with my back seats it is the front one I am confused about.
My car has an air bag and doesn't look like it can be deactivated unless I have a special device fitted.
Now I know you can't have the seat rear facing with an active airbag but can you have it forward facing with an active airbag??

I am sure i read somewhere you can belongs the seat is far back but I have no idea how up to date the information is.

Anyone know a website or can share a link with the up to date laws.

thanks

Nature'sKids!
26-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Check your car manual, it should have a section on car seats which should give you more info. You should be able to google your car seat make and car make to see compatability and a chart of where the seat will fit.

Generally, children's seats should NOT be installed in the front seat UNLESS it is rearfacing and the airbag is off.
You could also call the car seat manufacturer

rosebud
26-11-2011, 03:55 PM
You can use a front facing child seat in the front of a car with an airbag but only if you have to. (i.e all rear seats are full) The seat should be moved back as far as possible, try this link for more info.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Yourchildshealthandsafety/Roadandtravelsafety/DG_10037077

xshellbellex
26-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Rosebud
that was the understanding I had but bloke at Halfords said today that I couldn't use the front seat forward facing with an airbag unless it is an emergency

I was thinking of phoning Ofsted and NCMA to see what they say

rosebud
26-11-2011, 04:11 PM
The page I've linked to (above) says you can and that's the government website so the information should be correct. Its not ideal but there are a lot of cars in which you can only fit 2 car seats in the back and unfortunately not all cars allow the passenger airbag to be deactivated, so when needs must ....

christine e
26-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Rosebud
that was the understanding I had but bloke at Halfords said today that I couldn't use the front seat forward facing with an airbag unless it is an emergency

I was thinking of phoning Ofsted and NCMA to see what they say

Like rosebud says the site she has directed you to is the official government site so that is the official site

Cx

candy cat
26-11-2011, 06:32 PM
also turning airbags off could have implications regarding insurance so beware.....if you turned it off because you fitted carseat after following manufacturers guidelines then thats fine, but if you then carry a passenger and forget to activate it again you could be in trouble and knowing insurance companies they will use the 'you didn't take reasonable care!' line.

My friend uses front seat with bag on,but pushes seat back :)

loocyloo
26-11-2011, 09:23 PM
i was told by the chap checking my carseats were fitted correctly that as long as front seat is pushed back as far as it can go, and child is in the correct stage car seat, correctly fitted. that is fine.

you must NOT put a rear facing car seat in front if you can not de-activate the airbag.