PDA

View Full Version : Is this more than being a fussy eater?

Rosy Days
25-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Hi all, this is abit long but need some advice ... I'm getting worried about my 18 month old ds. Basically he is a fussy eater BUT I just have a feeling its abit more than being fussy. He will hardly eat anything at all, he won’t touch bread, pasta, rice, I’ve even tried him with children’s favourites such as chicken nuggets, chips etc just to try to get him eating but will not touch them. We all sit together at the table, I give him small portions, but he just cries all through sitting at the table, I don’t get stressed with him and eventually just take it away if he isn’t eating it. I just don’t know what to give him, he will hardly eat anything all day long. He is okay with fruit and mornings aren’t too bad, he has milk, weetabix, maybe abit of banana and a little toast and then the rest of the day its just a battle with him. He is my third child and my first two (both girls) I didn’t have many problems with, just general fussyness but nothing like this. Whenever I put something in front of him, its as though he wants to gag, he was a very sicky baby with his milk and had a very strong gag reflex when we started weaning him and was always sick for a good couple of months. Saying all this, he is very active and is a sturdy little boy and is on target with his weight. I’ve recently spoke to my HV who said to keep doing what I am doing and not give in to him. I sometimes think that he seems to have a fear of eating - could this maybe stem from the being sick when we were weaning him?? Am I totally off the mark with that? He can eat crackers and bread sticks etc, so there isn’t anything wrong physically with swallowing etc. I’ve also cut down his milk so I am not filling him up with that. Do you think I should take it further? What can I do, I’m waking up in the night worrying about it. Anyone had a similar experience? What are your thoughts? xx

JCrakers
25-11-2011, 09:43 PM
I am no big expert on children's eating habits, my own two kids are fussy. I would say as a parent that if he is developing ok, good weight etc I wouldn't worry about the amount of food.
I would just stick to what you are doing, putting no pressure on him, not getting cross etc, offering small bits of different foods everyday. But like I say, I'm no expert. I would keep giving him foods he does enjoy. does he eat yogurts, toast with different toppings.
Maybe he is a bit anxious about eating and it's a good idea not to get stressed. :D Sounds like you are doing well..
One thing that worries us as parents is our children not eating as its our job to feed them, if they don't eat, it makes us feel bad. If its something that's keeping you awake then maybe speak to someone. Maybe a nutritionist or dietician?? Not sure which professional would help.

I know a lot of people don't agree with Jo frosts ideas but she did a very interesting programme on fussy eaters, but the boy was around 6-7 so he was older and more aware. really interesting.

The Juggler
25-11-2011, 10:19 PM
i would maybe (just to rule stuff out) get him chekced for reflux and tongue tie (as both can make eating uncomfortable experiences). If not, I think good advice already. As long as he's otherwise developing normally, is full of beans (i.e. has enough energy) then I'd ignore it completely to avoid any food phobias later in life :)

sarah707
26-11-2011, 08:35 AM
As well as the excellent advice above... write down exactly what he has every day for a week.

Remember that a portion for a little one is a handful...

If you write it down over a week you will be able to see what his nutritional input is really like and whether he needs some areas topping up.

Also give him a good broad spectrum vitamin and mineral supplement to make sure he is getting the nutrients he needs.

Keep in touch with your HV and try not to worry too much. Dd was the fussiest eater in the world and she's a healthy 18 year old now.

Hugs xx

Rosy Days
02-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Hi, thanks for your replies and helpful advice. Ha ha it is always the way though, I was just about to get myself in a right tizz with the whole fussy eating business and you will never believe it but a few days after posting he just started having a try of other food, just shows if you persist it pays off in the end. I'm really pleased and relieved! Thanks :) xx

Maza
02-12-2011, 10:14 PM
That's good news!

Kiddleywinks
03-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Brilliant news, and brill advice for anyone else that's concerned

My daughter had a similar 'issue' around the same age, went on for about 3 months :panic:
Had her at the doctors and everything, really panicking about the lack of food she was having, as she'd been a really good eater till one day she woke up and I guess 'wasn't hungry'
The more stressed I got, the more determined she was not to eat - became a huge battle of wills, lots of tears, and tantrums (from me lol)

Doctor said to do as sarah said and keep a diary, and basically to 'back off' and look at it as something's better than nothing. Not to give anything in between meal times, and absolutely no 'treaty' type foods
And one day she just started eating again! Really bizarre situation, but all came good in the end.

Mind when she did start eating again, she ate EVERYTHING in sight for a week lol

uf353432
03-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Also something else to consider is some children front load their days - calorie wise and are not really hungry at the back end of the day. My youngest dd is like this she will eat more at breakfast and morning snack time but from lunch onwards eats like a sparrow - where as my other dd will eat like a horse all day!

mushpea
03-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Im glad hes started eating new things for you,, its a great step forward and I know the relif it brings.
My son was a very fussy eater,, he had issues with different textures,, he would eat fish but not fishfingers because of the bread crumbs, he would eat fruit but not meat because of the texture of it,, he would eat some veg but again due to the textures of other veg he wouldnt touch them,, to get him to just kiss a new food or even smell it was a victory for us, he would physicaly gag at new foods and was obviously uncomfortable trying things, eventualy about a year ago he started to try new foods without any fuss, hes now 11yrs and will try new foods but dosent always like them, he was diagnosed with ADHD and i suspect he has mild aspergers too and the sensory team but his food issues down to this,
its very hard when you have a fussy eater but in my experiance constantly trying and focusing on the positive and not the negative helped and also not making any sort of fuss over the not eating or for my son even praising the trying of food he didnt like!
I am sure with time your son will enjoy new foods with out a fuss.