PDA

View Full Version : muddy puddles are fun...aren't they?

Helen Dempster
25-11-2011, 07:45 PM
I took two mindees (both 2yo, a boy and girl) to the woods today in our wellies. Wasn't too cold and the sun was shining, a lovely day in fact. They had a great time exploring, collecting twigs, leaves etc and pointing to all the toadstools they found (but not touching) :) The highlight was splashing in muddy puddles, they had a whale of a time.

Anyway, when it was time to pick up older mindees after school, both of the young 'uns were fast asleep in the double buggy. One of the other mums asked if I'd given them sleeping pills. I said no, they've been having lots of fun in the park. Well, she was HORRIFIED "in this weather?" and "look at the state of them" (they both had mud stained clothes, but not too bad and I'd dried their clothes as soon as we'd got home).

Just got me thinking...please don't tell me I'm the only one who goes out when it gets colder or who jumps/lets the kids jump in muddy puddles? I don't believe that for one minute :D I was just a little shocked by her attitude.

RachelE
25-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Absolutely!! :)

I love this weather when its not really really cold, but still able to wrap up and make the most of!

Its not like you took them out in 10inch of snow or hailstones!

Its good for getting rid of germs and clearing your cobwebs! - and its good for the soul!!

Good for you!

Rachel x

breezy
We love it too, we go up to the forest near us in all weathers getting in all sorts of mess, one 3 year old I have Whose mum is very particular loves it, she still cant believe shes allowed to get wet and muddy:jump for joy:

singingcactus
No you're not the only one lol. We would have been today, but the little guy I had today has mild hand foot and mouth and I didn't want for him to start to feel uncomfortable if he got wet and cold. (my other boy is off with chicken pox - we are so healthy here right now lol:rolleyes: )

I just tell parents to get over it (nicely of course) and that this is what we do here, so there!

kellib
25-11-2011, 07:56 PM
The last really wet day we had I took my mindee to the park (on his first day with me lol), he loved it as we were the only mad ones there :D

Mum was a bit surprised but pleased too as LO loves to be outside whatever the weather, she just provided me with an all in one waterproof suit for him :D

Greengrass74
25-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Just got me thinking...please don't tell me I'm the only one who goes out when it gets colder or who jumps/lets the kids jump in muddy puddles? I don't believe that for one minute :D I was just a little shocked by her attitude.

Outrageous, taking children out in the cold and letting them play in puddles, having fun and get muddy, what sort of childminder are you!!!!!!!!!!

Only kidding I think it is one of the best things we do when we go out in the winter looking for puddles and mud and collecting stuff.

Thankfully we have good parents who understand that their kids will get dirty whilst they are with us.

SYLVIA
25-11-2011, 08:24 PM
You are absolutely right to be out!. We seem to be surrounded by tonsilitis, colds and sickness bugs at the moment and I'm sending as much time outside as poss to try and avoid the germs in toddler groups etc. I tell parents that we go out in all weathers, so please provide suitable clothing as it wont stop us if you don't. I also point out that I'm not spending my day trying to keep their best dress or shoes clean so please don't wear them.

Mrs Book
25-11-2011, 08:36 PM
We have been to the local inner city farm today and mindee and my friend's little girl had a fab time. Both had wellies on and both where filthy when we came home.

The reason why we have so many over weight kids is because parents don't let them out doors anymore. A lot of kids have lost the ability to messy play outside, climbing trees and just generally getting muddy.

flora
25-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Sadly this womans attitusde is increasily common,

can't play in the rain in case they catch a cold, can't go out in the sun incase they get burnt, can't go out in the wind inc case they get blown away............. you get the idea :(

I think hooray for minders with a sense of fun and adventure lucky kids to have you :clapping:

samb
25-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Few days ago I only 1 little mindee 21 months and we had finished a group and had an hour before collecting ds from pre school so we went to the park - he was filthy! He had a change of clothes and shoes in his bag so completely changed him when we got in. When mum came to collect him she commented on the mud on his coat and I laughed and said wait til you see what else is in the bag! She laughed too - wonder what she thought when we got home?! I have had him for over a year now though so hopefully she realises he WILL get dirty with me!

mushpea
25-11-2011, 08:54 PM
we still go out in all weathers,, more so in the school holidays cause it drives me nuts being stuck in all day!:laughing:
my poor dog constantly gets used as an excuse to get out,, its 'come on kids the dog needs his walk' and off we go over the woods and fields,, they moan at first (especialy my own 2) but when they get out the love it then I come back with muddy kids and a pooped dog and we sit and have hot chocolate,,

JCrakers
25-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Some people are bah humbug...lol

I love to go out for fresh air for walks in the mud in any weather. As long as they are all wrapped up it's great fun.
Well done you :D sounds like they had great fun

Mrs Book
25-11-2011, 09:55 PM
I'm sure if some parent's had their way children wouldn't go to school as it is to cold to go out or a drop of rain might hurt them:laughing:

peanuts
25-11-2011, 09:59 PM
absolutely nothing wrong with jumping in puddles. great fun

Maza
26-11-2011, 07:55 AM
This is what childhood is all about! A firm favourite in our family - we're creating memories and getting fit at the same time. You should have responded with an equally shocked/appalled expression and commented that you can't believe she has kept her poor children in all day and asked her how they got their exercise today.

Nature'sKids!
26-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Getting out is so important! Although I'm going nowhere today as I'm full of cold, cough and have a headache. Boohoo :(

FussyElmo
26-11-2011, 01:17 PM
As you can tell from the photo I would be appalled if someone got my children muddy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

cas2805
26-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Glad you are all in agreement with me. We love muddy puddles and climbing trees. Yes, we get dirty, but have a really great time. Sometimes adults laugh at us (well maybe at me!) but I feel a little sad when other adults pull their kids away as they don't want them to copy us, I often hear tutting from them too :(

JCrakers
26-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Playing in the mud and dirt also helps build a strong immune system. Staying too clean isnt good for us. I used to be out all the time and I used to eat worms when I was a toddler....now I am big and strong and hardly ever get ill.... :laughing:

Didnt eat them all the time, but apparently my Mum found me down the garden once with half of one in my mouth :laughing: yyuuummmmm...

samb
27-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Love the pic FussyElmo! Not sure if i am quite that brave - unless there was a paddling pool/hose pipe close by?!

handeme
27-11-2011, 10:17 AM
me too, we went out on Friday too.

Into the woods, building dens, splashing in the muddy puddles, kicking the leaves ans feeding the ducks. The amount of people that walked past us tutting and shaking there heads was crazy! Live a little we were not causing any harm.

C x

helendee
27-11-2011, 10:18 AM
I must admit that I hate going out in pouring rain but we go out in all other weathers lol.

I have a problem at the moment as we have one family who don't want their son going outside at all if it's even slightly cold, they are convinced that he will catch all manner of ills from the fresh air.... I think we may have to part company soon!

sunflower
27-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Splashing in puddles and getting really muddy.... looks and is great fun.

Wished I was young enough to do it :laughing: :laughing:

kiddies love it out in all weathers :D

Twinkles
27-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Poking puddles with sticks is what we do. This is what we tell parents when they come to us.

We supply wellies, hats and splashsuits.

We spend most mornings in the woods , park or wherever we can find mud. We spend a long time going nowhere fast.

ziggy
28-11-2011, 08:29 AM
I tell parents when they come to visit that we go out every day unless it is really pouring with rain. Also advise them not to send children in good clothes. I mention this in every monthly news letter as well.

One of my mindees had bad cold last winter during the snowy spell, her doctor said childrens colds arent clearing up so quick these days because we are all shut up in heated houses and schools etc, he prescribed long walk in the woods or beach!!!!!!!!

Chimps Childminding
28-11-2011, 06:54 PM
I wish we had some woods round here we could walk to! Anywhere we want to go involves getting in the car and the thought of muddy kids in my car would be enough to give dh a heart attack :eek: It sounds great fun!!