PDA

View Full Version : Who cares for your mindees when your on holiday?

greenfields
25-11-2011, 08:14 AM
I know some parents try to get the same holiday as the childminder but surely that isn't always possible.
So when you are on holiday who cares for your mindees?

mama2three
25-11-2011, 08:22 AM
this might sound awful - but I dont care!
i give months and months notice of my holidays , and then its up to parents to sort out!
Im not completely uncaring , i would offer to ask around minder friends for spaces if parents were really struggling!

snufflepuff
25-11-2011, 08:27 AM
The parents usually take time off themselves- I think once one of them asked Grandma to have LO. There's no reason why they can't take off the same time as me, I always give lots of notice, out of each set at least one parent is in the sort of job where they can choose all their own holiday dates rather than have their boss stipulate, and they are all entitled to more holiday than I ever take so they shouldn't run out.

Toothfairy
25-11-2011, 09:01 AM
I work term time only so all my holiday is taken during the school holidays, all my mindee's belong to teachers.

Zoomie
25-11-2011, 09:11 AM
I take most of my holiday in the school holidays so don't affect my term time only children.

For the others, parents either book it off themselves or use a neighbouring childminder / after school club.

I do give plenty of notice.

Greengrass74
25-11-2011, 09:16 AM
We give our parents a list of our holidays in January and our first is never until April so they have plenty of time to arrange alternative childcare, most seem to take their holidays when we have ours, so there has never been a problem.

WibbleWobble
25-11-2011, 09:32 AM
i gave 2012s holidays in september - i think thats enough notice dont you?

i take some in term time and some in school hols - so i manage to upset everyone! its only fair

my lot go to grans, parents take time off, school club local nursery

they all come back

drat

mandy x

rickysmiths
25-11-2011, 09:32 AM
I work so that most of mine go away when I do. Some use family. It has never been a problem. I tell them the main holiday I want in Jan for the year so they have plenty of time to sort things out. I have on been able to find places with other cms sometimes if needed.

I have found that most parents have more holiday than me and of course a couple will have a lot between them and will share cover if need be.

I think that if you perceive it to be a problem it will be. I have never felt guilty or apologised about taking my holiday. I always take all of it as well. I do a mentally and physically demanding job and I need my breaks to enable me to do it effectively.

Anon8319
25-11-2011, 10:53 AM
i give months and months notice of my holidays , and then its up to parents to sort out!
Im not completely uncaring , i would offer to ask around minder friends for spaces if parents were really struggling!

This. They're not my children. I'm a childminder and they chose me knowing I am a childminder and require/take holiday. If she can't find anyone to look after her children, she will have to take some of her 8 weeks annual leave; and if she can't then as they are divorced, the kids' dad should take some of his copious leave.

I do ask other minders, but I don't stress myself out about it if I can't find anyone.

As it happens, the kids' granny is very hands on and does a lot of the childcare, so they'd probably go there.

greenfields
25-11-2011, 10:58 AM
I know we're all entitles to a holiday especially when notice has been given.
I was just curious about who has them: family, other childminders.
Thanks for the replies.

sue m
25-11-2011, 11:25 AM
My friend and backup childminder Mollymop had mine when I went to Yorkshire when my Mum died in September. :clapping:

kellib
25-11-2011, 11:27 AM

Totally agree! I give parents plenty notice, it's their responsibility to organise alternative care.

I think grandparents step in when I'm unavailable though :)

Anon8319
25-11-2011, 11:47 AM
If I am ill or need last minute time off, there is another childminder who could have the children as a one-off, but again, the parents know that the nature of using a childminder is that there may be very rare occasions when they will need to arrange alternative care at the last minute.

MissTinkerbell
25-11-2011, 12:54 PM
I agree I give plenty of notice and its then up to them to sort out alternative care.

The one that got me was the parrent who came to see me about caring for her 9 month old. She was a student nurse and told me that her holidays weren't the same as the school term dates and that I wouldn't be able to have any holidays in the half terms because she wouldn't have anyone to look after her child :angry:

Needless to say I did not take on her child - whilst I will be accommodating and try to fit my holidays as conveniently as possible for the parents - no-one is telling me when I can and cannot take time off.

The Juggler
25-11-2011, 02:00 PM
parents, grannies, grandads, aunties. only occasionally with short notice i.e. funerals etc, have parents requested I arrange/find alternative care for them:)

samb
25-11-2011, 02:47 PM
So far the parents have or there is 1 boy I look after whose Mum is friends with another minder and she sometimes has him (well twice in 18 months!) if I have to shut for illness or she needs an extra day i can't do.