PDA

View Full Version : earrings and policy - advice needed

debratina
24-11-2011, 08:51 PM
hi
yesterday one of my three year old mindees came and has her ears pierced. do any of you have a policy about this. this is the first time i have had this situation.
Debra x

kellib
24-11-2011, 08:55 PM
I don't have a policy but I keep meaning to write one. I had a 14 month girl turn up with earrings in, at first it was studs which weren't great but manageable when playing etc. Then few weeks down the line she turned up in thick gold hoops, needless to say she caught it on something despite me being paranoid about it and watching her like a hawk!

Her ear was bleeding so obviously I cleaned her up as best I could, told Mum and politely suggested that earrings are maybe not the best thing to wear coming here where she goes to soft play and generally throws herself around as babies do! She hasn't worn them here again thank goodness!:thumbsup:

debratina
24-11-2011, 08:58 PM
i am just worried if she takes them out - i care fore a baby who is crawling and would hatebfor him to swallow it :(

Pipsqueak
24-11-2011, 09:16 PM
i had a policy when a child who was just on 2 had hoops in and her mother refused to remove them.

Pipsqueak
24-11-2011, 09:22 PM
This is what me and the then Insurers came up with:

Permission and Disclaimer for Child to wear Earrings in the Childminding Setting and Environments

I _________________________________________________ (parent of
__________________________________________________ _______) understand the health and safety implications of (my child named above) wearing earrings whilst in the care of the childminder (********************).

I will not hold the childminder*********************** or her insurers) responsible for any resulting damage or injury to my child due to my child wearing earrings in the Setting (or care of the childminder) after being advised of the health and safety implications.

Signed:___________________________________________
Print Name________________________________________
Date:___________________________________________

Childs Name:

Earrings Policy

Whilst I have no objections to earrings being worn in the Setting and subsequent environments (in my care), I would prefer that children wear quick release/easily removable, small close fitting stud type earrings. This is to prevent potential accidents such as the earring being ripped from the ear or damage to the ear. As this Setting is a busy, active Setting, I feel this is an important health and safety issue. Particuarly if an earring was to fall out and other children may pick it up and hurt themselves on it or swallow it. I myself do not wear hooped or dangly earrings whilst working and try not to wear any type.

I have taken advice from my insurers (on the 13/9/09) – NCMA (National Childminding Association) and their advice is preferably no earrings but both myself and my insurers realise this is not our decision. NCMA advise that if parents prefer to allow their child to wear potential hazardous earrings in a childminding setting then a permission and disclaimer must be signed by the parent absolving the childcarer of responsibility should damage occur to the child wearing the earrings as a result of wearing earrings.
Procedure:
If earrings are to be worn the Insurers advice is as follows:
Parents are to be fully advised of health and safety risks
Discussion of alternatives – such as wearing studs to the Setting. Where possible covering the earrings with surgical tape whilst in the Setting – to be done by parent prior to arrival, parent to remove tape at end of session. Wearing easily released earrings, none with safety catches.
Parents are to sign a permission slip allowing the child to wear earrings and signing a disclaimer acknowledging this policy and procedure and absolving the childminder from any liability as a result of damage to the ear whilst the child is wearing earrings in the Setting.

Zoomie
24-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Pipsqueak, great policy and disclaimer.

However, what would happen if another child was hurt / swallow it. How would the insurers handle that ???

Just curious :)

Pipsqueak
24-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Pipsqueak, great policy and disclaimer.

However, what would happen if another child was hurt / swallow it. How would the insurers handle that ???

Just curious :)

can't remember what they said...

it might be worth checking with your insurers - the information there that i have is over two years old now.

Pipsqueak
24-11-2011, 09:46 PM
I think I would not insist - as school does that the earrings are covered with surgical tape prior to arrival

rickysmiths
25-11-2011, 12:31 AM
I had this happen earlier this year with a 13 mth old.

NCMA insurers will not cover you unless the earrings are taped all over back and front. I said the parent had to do this and supply me with plenty of tape as well.

Within days of this child I had a before and after school one do the same but they popped in with mum one afternoon and the next thing we hear is 'mum my earring has come out' :eek: We were all on our hands and knees on the floor looking for the bits!!!!