PDA

View Full Version : Child has hurt his foot, parent still wants him to come to me? Some advice please x

Tippy Toes
24-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Hi All

Received a text from a mum this morning to say little one had dropped something on his foot and she was taking him to A & E to get it checked.

I assumed due to the nature of this incident that child would not be attending today and took the other little one I look after out to carry on with planned activities.

Mid morning mum calls to tell me nothing was broken, his big toe was really hurt and the toenail would eventually come off, its all bandaged up (he screams when it is touched). And that the little one was asking to come to mine so could she drop him to me.

I explained to mum I could have him but was he able to carry on with normal activities such as walking to the school and going out etc. Explained that I could not just stay at home for the day as unfair on the other children I look after. Told her I was on my way to soft play and did not think it would be a good idea for him to attend due to health and safety. (Little ones foot/toe had been bleeding a lot that morning)

Eventually she said she would keep him home (she is not working today) and I agreed that it was for the best, to see how he was and hopefully will be a bit better by the morning.

Just wondering what you would of done in this situation? Should I of had him?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

By the way little one is 29 months old.

rosebud
24-11-2011, 02:26 PM
I would have had him providing he could walk to school and would have not gone to the soft play session but maybe taken him to something less active. I don't have many children though so its easy to change arrangements at short notice to accomodate individual childrens needs. I might see it differently if I had lots.

TRACEY1969
24-11-2011, 02:27 PM
I also would of advised mom to keep him at home because you have to look after other children and you need to pay each one the same attention and if you are doing some fun play you will be worried if he gets hurt again and hardest thing is to stop him from crying without stressing the other mindees out.

The Juggler
24-11-2011, 03:19 PM
if he couldn't walk and is too big for the buggy then I would have done same as you hon :)

Ripeberry
24-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Softplay would be a no-no as I knew one child went when they had a bandaged hand (burn) and they could not hold onto things properly and ended up breaking a bone!
Poor little mite need their mum when they are hurting :(

miffy
24-11-2011, 09:50 PM
I think you did the right thing for today. Hopefully he'll be a lot better tomorrow.

Miffy xx

kellib
24-11-2011, 09:52 PM
I would only have taken him if he could still do the school run etc, I think you did the right thing :)

mushpea
24-11-2011, 10:00 PM
my policy is that if they are able to take part in the daily routine then I am happy to have them so if he couldnt walk and take part in all the normal things you would do then I wouldnt have accepted him,, also at that short notice its unfair to tell the other children they couldnt go to the soft play area, if she had told you a day or two before then you coudl have rearanged but then thats still a bit unfair on the others.

Tippy Toes
25-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks for all the replies, you put my mind at ease as was starting to think I was being unfair. :(

He is much bette today, can walk, still has bandage and taking antibiotics but he is able to participate in our daily activities and walk to the school etc.

Again thanks to everyone who replied! :)

miffy
25-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Pleased to hear lo is a lot better today.

Miffy xx