PDA

View Full Version : Numbers when working with a cominder

kel1983
23-11-2011, 08:11 PM
I work alongside my mum co minding. At the moment we are only allowed 6 children max under 8.

Does anyone else co mind and have more than this. I know there is alot mentioned about planning permission etc.

Goatgirl
23-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Hi :),

If your mum is a registered childminder she should be able to have maximum 6 under 8, of whom 3 can be under 5, 1 under one etc and the same for you.

If she is just your assistant, you will have to apply for a variation to increase numbers or change ratios, but will still always only be able to have a maximum of 6 under 8 each.

You may be restricted by space and also different areas do have planning permission issues. I'd contact whichever organisation deals with and supports childminders in your area and ask them what the council's attitude to this is. It may be easily granted or they may refuse if your neighbours object or if they have a specific policy.

I have a registered assistant so could in theory apply to increase numbers but have no need at the moment. On the plus side I have heard our council are not bothered and will likely grant the permission...

In your position, I'd ask the council in a 'I was wondering about future possibilities, what the procedure is/ time scale might be' kind of way.

Good luck :)

best wishes,
Wendy :)

kel1983
23-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Hi :),

If your mum is a registered childminder she should be able to have maximum 6 under 8, of whom 3 can be under 5, 1 under one etc and the same for you.

If she is just your assistant, you will have to apply for a variation to increase numbers or change ratios, but will still always only be able to have a maximum of 6 under 8 each.

Forgot to mention we re both registered and live together. When we are working together we are allowed max of 6 under 8, of which 6 can be under 5 and 2 can be under 1

Lesley P
23-11-2011, 08:51 PM
hi
we are a husband /wife working together as 2 childminders we are together allowed 8 under 8, no more than 6 under 5 unless a variation in place.
When i was working with an assistant it was the same, we also don't have any issues with council with planning permission.

kel1983
23-11-2011, 09:39 PM
hi
we are a husband /wife working together as 2 childminders we are together allowed 8 under 8, no more than 6 under 5 unless a variation in place.
When i was working with an assistant it was the same, we also don't have any issues with council with planning permission.

Wow thats interesting. Can I ask what area you are in?

loocyloo
23-11-2011, 10:57 PM
when i was working with an assistant, we were allowed a total of 12 under 8, with 6 under 5 ( 2 under 1 ).

in fact, as my mum is still registered as my assistant, despite my moving 260 miles away, i still have that availablilty on my certificate!

i have no idea what my local council did about planning, i didn't ask! ;)