PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for 18 month olds

Mrs M
17-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Hi all, I have an 18 month old son and am minding an 18 month old. Just looking for a few more activity ideas, especially as I have inspection coming up!

Spangles
17-05-2008, 09:57 AM
What about a shallow bowl of water for splashing about in, give a few toys to use for hitting water, pouring, etc.

What about a dish of jelly for mushy, squishy, play!

Dish of cooked and uncooked pasta or cooked rice of mushy, squishy play too!

Just crayons and paper for scribbling.

Blowing bubbles for the children to try and catch and burst.

Looking at books.

Last week I got the farm animal toys out and stuck up flashcards on the toy box of different farm animals and we looked at farm baby books, I was pointing at the animals and naming them, making noises, etc.

Treasure basket.

Rolling a ball or toy car back and forth.

Can't think of anymore at mo!

angeldelight
17-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Messy fun - for a baby who is sitting up and the young child

What you need

cooked cold rice
mash
jelly
small bowels , cups , trays, lids and spoons

What to do

Sit baby in high chair prepare for messy play
Sit near the baby and place some of the food on their tray, encourage them to prod it and pick it up with their fingers.
Pick it up yourself and squeeze it through your fingers encourage baby to do the same.
Give them a lot of attention
Watch how baby is exploring , do they show excitement pleasure or dislike , do they make sounds?

With the older child make balls with the rice encourage them to do the same use spoons and bowls to mix and poke

Give them time to explore the different textures

They are learning to explore
Sharing the experience with you
Using fine motor control

Use different foods adapt the activity for different ages

Have a look in the Birth to Three section - if you go onto the second page you will see some activity ideas that I did there if you cant find them give me a shout

Angel xx

crazybones
17-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Frozen bowls of ice with something in them proved to be a major success with all ages in the sun this week. Easy cheap and you can use loads of different things. They spent ages pouring water over the top to release the toys. Here are some pics. We did mini beasts one day and dinosaurs the next.

Spangles
17-05-2008, 10:28 AM
That's a brilliant idea Annie, I might do that next week! Thank you!

Mrs M
17-05-2008, 10:42 AM
You are all wonderful - thank you. The boys just love to play with the toys in the play room but I want to actually see them concentrating on one thing. I think if the weather's nice on Wednesday, I'll take them out in the garden and the inspector can follow me and sit on the table and chairs outside. I'm hopeful she'd be ok with that - afterall, I must do what I would usually do with the children and I take them outside lots.
Thanks again so much x:D

sarah707
17-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Have a look around the birth to 3 threads - right at the beginning Angel uploaded some ideas for activities... go back to the first page of the threads :D

miffy
21-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the ideas ladies

miffy xx

tomthumb
21-05-2008, 12:45 PM
I use Angel's ideas in the birth to three thread and they are fab!! I cannot thank you enough Angel. :jump for joy:

Elodie XX

venus89
17-06-2008, 08:38 AM
What you need

cooked cold rice
mash
jelly
small bowels , cups , trays, lids and spoons

Angel xx

Is it just me who finds that slightly disturbing?!! :laughing:

angeldelight
17-06-2008, 09:27 AM
haha very funny haha

angel xx

Pedagog
17-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Can I just a a word of Caution about using Cold Cooked Rice.

Cooked Rice is a major cause of Food Poisoning (Bacillus cereu) in the UK, although mainly with people reheating last nights curry and rice, there is still a risk. Although not one of the more serious Food Poisoning microbes, it would still be pretty nasty for a small child.

Sorry to be a spoilsport.

angeldelight
17-06-2008, 09:59 AM
I dont think you are a spoilsport at all

Yes you are correct - it really is one of the worst foods to eat too if it is reheated and can make you really poorly

If the rice is used in the correct way and not reheated and supervising the children so they dont put it in their mouths then this is a fun activity that children all over like to do

You are right to give the warning though - thanks for that

Angel xx