PDA

View Full Version : Revising holiday

Anon8319
23-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Hi lovelies,

Well I have been minding a few months now. I have one family on my books - I am happy with that for now and we have ironed out a few issues. The family have required some flexibility from me on a few occasions, and to be fair, they have been flexible for me as well, but generally then expect me to repay the 'favour' by working the hours at another time!!!

Anyway, because I felt a bit beholden, I told the mum I would work right up til 23rd December and be back on 3rd January. I really really wanted to take 23rd off as I work 6 days a week and still have a lot to do in time for xmas; I also work from 630am one day a week and 7am the other days for this family, so I probably selfishly want a day to recover before xmas, as I do get very very tired! Now family up country have asked us to go to the Frankfurt Christmas Markets with them, and we are looking at 2 dates - either sat 17/sun 18 or thurs 22/fri 23. It would be much cheaper for the hotel to do the 22/23, and also much easier for us.

Also, my husband is now taking 22nd and 23rd off :o(

This date is over 4 weeks away and my contract says I will give as much notice as possible, no less than 4 weeks. I would like to take this day off. Do you think I am being reasonable to tell the mum I will be doing that? Or do you think I should just suck it up and work it?

wendywu
23-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Of course you don't have to work if you don't want to, especially if you dont get paid for holidays.

You said you could but now your plans have changed and its over 4 weeks away as per contract so simple you take the day off :thumbsup:

AgentTink
23-11-2011, 03:08 PM
You can take whatever holiday you need to take and do not need to ask parents permission to do so. As you say yourself you are making sure that they have more than 4 weeks notice, so you are not asking last minute.

If you do not take the holiday you will regret it at the time and will feel resentful of the matter.

I have as part of my policy that I am shut every year from the 22nd to the 3rd of January and all of this time will be paid at full contracted hours. Every other holiday i take throughout the year I am not paid. I love my christmas too much to give it up.

boxtree7
23-11-2011, 06:12 PM
In the past Ive haven't taken holidays because parents would moan or complain but with experience I take times I need with enough notice. At the moment I have a family and when i did my christmas holidays way back in August they complained - since then they have took 4 weeks of to suit themselves.

sarah707
23-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Go and enjoy yourself... you'll resent it otherwise :D

Anon8319
23-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Thank you, ladies!

I am going to let her know I intend to take this time off! She has family to help her.

:) xx