PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to get numbers permanantly changed????

marnieb
23-11-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm hoping one of you with more years under your belt can help!!

Basically, I have no after schoolies, (or indeed anyone older that 3!) so no-one at all age 5-8. And very unlikely to as the after school club has a monopoly on the 3 local schools, so no-one even thinks about a cm for their older kids! Ds had just turned 8. I very occasionally have a rising 5 for 1.5 hrs twice a week, but her mum is leaving her job in Feb to have another baby so she'll be going.

I have 2 variations to have 3 under 5 ( and dd aged 2.5) on a Monday and Thursday, obviously granted no problems.

What i am wondering, is would Ofsted consider changing my ratios to allow me to permanantly have 3 under 5, as long as I have no-one over the age of 5 till the oldest mindee starts school ( in almost 2 yrs time ) ifyswim??

Obvioulsy the worst they could do is say no, and perhaps do my insepction early (due next Sept) to see if I can cope with a total of 4 under 5.

I wouldnt be thinking of doing it till Feb when my mindees leave anyway.

I'm sure somewhere along the lines Ofsted have been asked about this before?

candy cat
23-11-2011, 01:26 PM
I doubt it would be permanent as everyone would be doing it and they have to have a limit, but its worth asking.....I have 4 under 3.5 on TUES,WEDS,FRI ,but I had a good reason as it was helping out an existing family with extra help due to circumstances. What they won't do is increase it for a childminders benefit...ie to make more money.....good luck x

Mouse
23-11-2011, 01:36 PM
No, I don't think they will do it.

The only time they allow more children in the EY age group is for specific variations, so you would have to apply each time. But even then, they are not likely to do it for new business.

It's always worth asking, but I'm pretty certain you'll be told no.

The Juggler
23-11-2011, 02:07 PM
the only one they give you permanently I think , is 2 under 1's but they still keep you at 3 under 5 other than for a specific child and it's removed when that child leaves or turns 5.

miffy
23-11-2011, 02:28 PM
the only one they give you permanently I think , is 2 under 1's but they still keep you at 3 under 5 other than for a specific child and it's removed when that child leaves or turns 5.

That's my understanding too.

If you do ask let us know what they say.

Miffy xx

kindredspirits
23-11-2011, 03:47 PM
no they wouldn't give you a permenant variation but if you were to have an assistant registered then you would be able to have a permenant increase in numbers when working with your assistant. For eg my hubby is registered as my assistant so my cert reads something along the lines of 'may care for no more than 2 under 5's' and then further down says 'when working with an assistant may care for no more than 4 under 5's.'

hth x

Helen79
23-11-2011, 04:07 PM
I have the same problem that all the schools have afterschool clubs so I'm limited to under 5's. My ds is 3 so I can only have 2 mindees max which seriously limits what I can earn.
I asked for a variation for the hours that ds was at nursery and they said no as he's still included in my numbers despite being included in nurseries numbers. Its really frustrating but just got to keep plodding on til he starts school next September.