PDA

View Full Version : Is childminding for me?

lovechildcare1
22-11-2011, 08:26 PM
I am a 24 yr old male who is currently a teaching assistant. I am worried that being a childminder may not be for me? I mean I enjoy teaching and working in schools but the way things are at the moment what with pay cuts etc and work only being as and when required I want to be able to earn a regular wage- which is why I decided to become a childminder in the first place.

I am also worried that looking after 2-4 year olds may not be what I want to do. I remember training and I did and didnt enjoy some parts of working in a nursery. I also enjoy looking after children of all ages especially my nephew who is now 2. I feel though that childminding is something that I will find rewarding as I will get the best of both worlds in terms of caring and educating children but am concerned that I will miss teaching in schools and working with older children.

Am I just worrying too much ? What is it like being a childminder is it as daunting as i think it will be?

JCrakers
23-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Firstly I would say that if you are needing a safe regular income then childminding isn't always a good option. Children come and can go very quickly, leaving you with an unsecure wage. Childminding doesn't offer a regular wage.
First of all you may not find any children as you have to establish yourself.

If its older children you are wanting to work with then why don't you peruse this.
I prefer younger children and find the after school kids hard work...lol
The most stressful bit of my day is the school run and from 4-6 pm :D

Twinkles
23-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Have you thought of nursery work ?

I only say this as a childminding business can take a while to get off the ground and may be a problem if you need regular wages immediately.

Another issue ( very unfairly IMHO ) is that some male childminders who work on their own find it difficult at first to get clients.

If you don't fancy the nursery idea why not keep the classroom assistants job but also have before and after school children to mind ?

miffy
23-11-2011, 06:15 PM
As a childminder you can work with older children too. Have you thought about registering and offering holiday care only whilst keeping on your TA job - that way you could see if childminding suited you and ease yourself in gently but still have a regular job/income to fall back on.

Miffy xx

rosebud
23-11-2011, 06:20 PM
As a childminder you can work with older children too. Have you thought about registering and offering holiday care only whilst keeping on your TA job - that way you could see if childminding suited you and ease yourself in gently but still have a regular job/income to fall back on.

Miffy xx

This seems like a good plan and you might be able to get your first mindees through the school you work at. I only started part time to begin with and kept on my evening job until I was sure it was what I wanted, I've never looked back and can't imagine doing anything else now.

Goatgirl
23-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Hi,
I think as a male person, there will be some parents who wont be keen to leave their children with you. I don't think this is right or fair, but IMO sexism is still alive and well in 2011 :(.

If you are well known in the area and especially if you have a good reputation through your teaching work, maybe that wont be an issue for you though? and you can get up and running fairly quickly.

It will depend alot on demand in your area as well, obviously, as to how high or reliable your income might be. In your position I'd be thinking about how to promote my masculinity as a benefit and having it as an 'edge' over the competition :D.

Regarding the ages of children, I have found that I love all the different ages in their own ways. Babies are just so cuddly, you get a really good bond with them and once you get to know a child you pretty much just like them for who they are anyway, and naturally want to encourage them to do well and be happy, regardless of age etc

Childminding is so different from working in a nursery: you get to do things your way. Yes you must meet the requirements and show you are following guidelines etc, but you choose how :thumbsup:

Have a think about the things you didn't like in nursery settings and maybe you can do them differently so that you will like them :).

I'd say go for it, but don't give up the day job until you have to because you're inundated with families desperate to have you care for and educate their millions of offspring. Took me aaages to fill up :rolleyes:

Good luck, hope it all works out well.

best wishes,
Wendy :)

keeks
23-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Single mums in particular may like their children to have a male role model. Particularly if the father is living far away or isn't part of the child's every day life. When mine grew up their dad was in a different country. The male nursery assistant became an important person in my older son's life.

There are a few male childminders on this forum, and I remember one of them having lots of difficulty finding work in the beginning, but then got very busy after a while.

I think Miffy's idea is great. It would be a nice way of starting up your business, and then you can go from there.

Good luck!

xx

lovechildcare1
24-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Thank you for all your replies. The job I have at the moment is only supply work so I dont really have a regular wage. I feel though that childminding will provide me with best of both worlds i.e. the caring and educating children and seeing them progress and you know its only down to you, your care and the parents.:)

I enjoy working with children of all ages. Its just a big step working for myself and being self employed. Its a big gamble. I know I wont get inundated with children at the start but I need to do something as for far too long I been relying on ad hoc work and it just doesnt pay the bills.

As for me being a male. I really hate people perceptions as its awful to think that as a male I might do something bad or not be as good a carer as females (maternal instinct) but I see the fact that I am a male in a female dominated profession as a good thing as children often dont have a male role model to look upto :) Only this week a childminder told me that her nursery is crying out for male staff and has put in a good word for me. They might offer me a volonteer role which will enable me to earn some valuable skills. I will have to think about that one...:)

lovechildcare1
24-11-2011, 10:45 PM
I am looking to keep the Teaching Assistant job and to offer childminding on a full time basis- if that is possible? Term time only but also providing homework help and an after school club/care. I have worked in an after school club before and really enjoyed it.

I have all these ideas and its nice to hear from other childminders your thoughts and opinions.:)

Twinkles
24-11-2011, 11:15 PM
I think all of us here hate the 'assumption' by some people that men aren't as nurturing carers as women.

My husband is also a childminder and took three of our small people to the park on his own on Monday. He said he got some very odd looks as he had three 2 yr old little girls with him :panic: ( perhaps they just thought he was mad !! )

I have to say he loves his work as much as I do and the children adore him.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :thumbsup:

lovechildcare1
01-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Thank you :)