PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping babies at inspection

berkschick
17-05-2008, 07:48 AM
At my inspection, I will have G who will only sleep in the pushchair.

I rock her to sleep, cover her with a blanket and wheel her into a quieter room.

Will this be acceptable to OFSTED? I dont have specific permission for her to sleep in the buggy but in the child forms the parents fill in when their child starts, Mum has said G sleeps in buggy or c****at a home. ALso, I dont normally put a sheet in the buggy, should I do?

Sorry for all the questions recently :laughing:

Pauline
17-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Some inspectors can be funny about sleeping in pushchairs, but with the parent having written that that is how she sleeps then you could argue continuity of care/working to parents wishes etc.

Make sure you check on her regularly if she is not in the same room too.

You could put a sheet under her, especially her head, and say that it helps avoid cross infection if she dribbles and other children use the pushchair - shows you are considering risks :thumbsup:

crazybones
17-05-2008, 08:00 AM
I do the same as you Debbie but my EY Co called me 2 days before inspection to say someone had been pulled up about it and to just run off a permission slip and get mum to sign it to cover yourself.

Something along the lines of

I. xxxxxx give permission for my child xxxxxxxx to be put to sleep and left to sleep in a buggy as per his/her routine at home.

Signed............................. Date .................................

berkschick
17-05-2008, 08:01 AM
I could probably transfer her to a travel cot once she is asleep, I have been trying to do this recently as Im not keen on her being in the buggy. But then I will be up and down the stairs checking her! I do have a baby monitor I use for the others that sleep upstairs, would this be better do you think?

Pauline
17-05-2008, 08:02 AM
p.s. I've changed the settings so that we should be able to say carseat without it censoring the ar*e word :D

LittleAcorns
17-05-2008, 08:04 AM
Personally I would carry on doing what you're doing, I did read some where on here that its advicable to get a permission form for a child to sleep in the buggy x

LittleAcorns
17-05-2008, 08:07 AM
lol was distracted form this post when I came back there were a few answers and mine doesnt really fit now x

angeldelight
17-05-2008, 08:17 AM
Is it babys own buggy ?

I cant really see a problem some of my babys sleep this way and will not go down in a travel cot

Just run up a permission form to cover yourself then there should be no problem

I would still do it if it were myself

Angel xxx

Pauline
17-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Yes I would still do it, otherwise you might have a screaming baby on your hands :eek:

berkschick
17-05-2008, 08:58 AM
No, it is Ella's buggy so Im guessing I should be using a sheet :o Not that Ella gets to use it anymore as we always need the double or triple!

I know G Mum will be fine about signing a form so I will get one sorted this week.

Like you say Pauline, last thing I need is a screaming baby!

Thanks for all the replies!

angeldelight
17-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Whos going to know its not the childs buggy ?

Why tell anyone ?

Good luck

Angel xx

Spangles
17-05-2008, 09:50 AM
I think that's totally acceptable if it's okay with the parent.

I agree to get a permission slip signed and then I can see what the problem could be - but then these inspectors are very odd!

Good luck!

venus89
17-05-2008, 09:54 AM
p.s. I've changed the settings so that we should be able to say carseat without it censoring the ar*e word :D

I'm so glad you said that - I sat there for ages trying to work out what on earth it was the mum let the poor child sleep in!!:laughing:

Cazz
17-05-2008, 11:04 AM
I'm so glad you said that - I sat there for ages trying to work out what on earth it was the mum let the poor child sleep in!!:laughing:

Me too! :laughing:

Carole x

Alibali
17-05-2008, 02:56 PM
I think I've missed something somewhere, what's the problem with babies sleeping in a buggy? 2 of mine do this regularly:(
Ali x

crazybones
17-05-2008, 03:03 PM
:rolleyes: Ofsted dont like it! I was told it was to do with the position of their backs if the buggys dont lie flat and they sleep for 2 hours it may cause back problems. Other people may have been given other reasons.

Michelle M
17-05-2008, 04:22 PM

Me too :blush:

berkschick
17-05-2008, 04:44 PM
:rolleyes: Ofsted dont like it! I was told it was to do with the position of their backs if the buggys dont lie flat and they sleep for 2 hours it may cause back problems. Other people may have been given other reasons.

Thats a good point actually.

G actually sleeps in Ella's Mamas and Papas Pramette which lies totally flat and is suitable from birth so its more of a pram than a buggy so hopefully that will be ok :thumbsup: I will get Mum to sign a permission form too though.

katickles
17-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Hi Debbie
Yeah I got asked on my inspection recently if i had a permission form for my mindee who sleeps in the buggy - she said it was so that in 20yrs the mindee couldn't come back at me for back problems or because of being restricted in the buggy!!!:panic:

Needless to say - parents have now signed a permission form :D

flora
17-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Well!! You learn something new everyday don't you.

Get your self your permission form signed job done by the looks ofit.

Good luck with your inpsection :thumbsup:

mrsb
17-05-2008, 08:42 PM
my inspector was adamant that it is against ofsted ruling to let a child sleep in a buggy:angry: the children I have during the day are not allowed to sleep anyway, I've got a signed letter from the parent saying under no circumstances am I allowed to let the child sleep, he was 2 at my last inspection and i said although the parents wrote that, I felt it was cruel to the child as he was a really sickly child and VERY tired by the afternoons, so i said I would take him for a walk in the buggy and if he fell asleep on the way home then I would allow him 15 minutes before waking him - she shot me down and said children should never be left to sleep in a buggy and that I should use a travel cot, I said that if i put him in a cot then his mum would know I was going against his wishes.
To behonest I can't actually remember how we left it but she was certain that children should not sleep in buggies:rolleyes:

crazybones
17-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Well Ofsted inspectors must have perfect children that never sleep in buggies. :rolleyes:

flora
17-05-2008, 09:03 PM
I know it's not ideal for them to sleep for long periods in a buggy, especially if they don't lay very flat.

But I think a nap in a buggy is far preferable to an overtired, fractious toddler who won't enjoy life cos they are too tired.

And as for the inspector who insisted it's agiainst Oftsed rules, I think she was just saying that as I know and Outstanding childminder who regularly lets them sleep in a buggy, and did so on her inpsection.

Wonder what Oftsed would make of my dd if I asked you to follow my routine and wishes........ she sleeps outside in her silver cross pram in all weathers, come rain or shine. She sleeps for a couple of hrs if I'm lucky an hr if not.

If you try putting her indoors she screams :eek:

katickles
17-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Wonder what Oftsed would make of my dd if I asked you to follow my routine and wishes........ she sleeps outside in her silver cross pram in all weathers, come rain or shine. She sleeps for a couple of hrs if I'm lucky an hr if not.

If you try putting her indoors she screams :eek:

This is just the same as one of my mindees!

flora
17-05-2008, 09:26 PM
This is just the same as one of my mindees!

Did Ofsted say anything???

Everyone seems horrified when I tell them Hannah sleeps outside :laughing:

Alibali
24-05-2008, 10:01 AM
The buggys mine sleep in all lie flat, is that ok then? And what about sleeping on the sofa!?

Ali x

disney
24-05-2008, 10:52 AM
i think i would leave the child in the buggy sometimes when you have a inspection i think its easier to do things as you have been doing else it make thing s worse esp when you get in a routine but get parent to sign to say they agree cant go wronge i get parents to sign for every thing im not sure about , if in doubt shout sign here please :laughing: x

ajs
24-05-2008, 11:08 AM
flora when we were kids we used to sleep outside come rain or shine
i am a tough cookie who hardly ever gets ill, i don't think it did me any harm and i put my own 3 outside too and i put mindees out if the weathere is warm, not if it's raining i wouldn't want them to get a sniffle.

alternatively we could wrap them in cotton wool but not let them sleep in case ofsted didn't like our choice of bed

sorry this thread is really winding me up

not what debbie is asking but the fact that we have to worry about it all.
children need sleep end of
if parent agrees that they can sleep in the buggy then that is it, i have one sheet of permission boxes covering sleeping in the buggy to applying sun cream and everything in between
if ofsted don't like it they can stuff it.

i am sorry but i am in a mood everything today is winding me up, including my children, well actually especially my children

crazybones
24-05-2008, 04:26 PM
flora when we were kids we used to sleep outside come rain or shine
i am a tough cookie who hardly ever gets ill, i don't think it did me any harm and i put my own 3 outside too and i put mindees out if the weathere is warm, not if it's raining i wouldn't want them to get a sniffle.

alternatively we could wrap them in cotton wool but not let them sleep in case ofsted didn't like our choice of bed

sorry this thread is really winding me up

not what debbie is asking but the fact that we have to worry about it all.
children need sleep end of
if parent agrees that they can sleep in the buggy then that is it, i have one sheet of permission boxes covering sleeping in the buggy to applying sun cream and everything in between
if ofsted don't like it they can stuff it.

i am sorry but i am in a mood everything today is winding me up, including my children, well actually especially my children

Yikes. I'll keep my mouth shut then :o

ajs
24-05-2008, 04:55 PM
it's alright annie you always make me laugh
even when you're being mean to me :D

crazybones
24-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Oh Good. I have lost 17500 brain cells already tonight. :D

angeldelight
25-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Have to say I agree with you Mandy

Angel xx

Pudding Girl
25-05-2008, 02:10 PM
so if we are out n about and a child falls asleep int heb buggy are we to wake them up, keep them awake all the way home, return to setting and transfer to a travel cot then?

FFs these people surely have never had to look after a child for any lentgh of time.

****s.

ajs
25-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Have to say I agree with you Mandy

Angel xx

thanks angel i'm glad to know it's not just me who rebels against the ****** system

no lou i think you're ok as long as you have parental permission to put the children to sleep in the pushchair not if they fall asleep while you are out ( i may be wrong sorry if i am)

if they fall asleep and are happy to stay asleep when you get home 9we cannot be expected to move them and risk them waking up) then i am sure we can leave them in the pushchair.

oh no sarah isn't here to tell me whether i am wrong or not

miffy
25-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Some children will not sleep in a travel cot no matter how hard you try because they are not used to doing so - but they will sleep in a buggy so surely that is better for them than no sleep at all

As long as parents are happy with the arrangement and the buggy is suitable (ie it lies back) then I don't think Ofsted have any axe to grind.

miffy xx

crazybones
25-05-2008, 02:57 PM
I dont think Ofsted can say anything if you have signed permission from parents. Only 1 of my 3 own children ever went to sleep somewhere other than the buggy. The only way to get my eldest to sleep of a night until he was about 18 months was to put him in the buggy and leave him - then carry him up to bed.