PDA

View Full Version : Collecting Mindee and smelling alcohol

EmmaReed84
22-11-2011, 01:50 PM
I was at a CM friend of mine and she had a mindee on a day she doesnt usually, but did it as a favour. Mindee was due to be collected at a certain time but no one showed up a relative called to say someone would be collecting but got the wrong house and will be returning back to collect mindee...(this person has collected before and was arranged by parent)

Anyway when mindee finally left friend came in and said she was sure she could smell alcohol on his breath. Now in my opinion friend should have asked if he had been drinking and if he said yes friend should not have let mindee go in the car with him??

I told friend to possibly document it and talk to parent about the fact someone who was trusted to collect mindee had at the very least probably had a drink.

BuggsieMoo
22-11-2011, 02:18 PM
I would never allow a mindee to go with someone who 'smells' of drink. It is written into my drugs and alcohol policy that if I have reason to believe that someone is under the influence then I will not allow the child to go for their own well-being. This needs raising with the parents because cleary if the person had been drinking they cannot be trusted to collect the child, let alone drive with them.

EmmaReed84
22-11-2011, 02:22 PM
I would never allow a mindee to go with someone who 'smells' of drink. It is written into my drugs and alcohol policy that if I have reason to believe that someone is under the influence then I will not allow the child to go for their own well-being. This needs raising with the parents because cleary if the person had been drinking they cannot be trusted to collect the child, let alone drive with them.

That is what I told my friend. She has been really upset since. The pick up was quick literally knock on door, child was already ready to go, guy apologised and they left. It was just as she came in as an after thought. She feels terrible about letting her go. He wasn't "drunk" but just smelt of beer, he could have even just had a half pint but I guess in my eyes if you drive you dont drink full stop but that is just me

marnieb
22-11-2011, 02:29 PM
I agree - I have it written in my policies that if I suspect and adult incapable of looking after a child due to being under the influence then i will not let them go with them.

Helen79
22-11-2011, 03:24 PM
I don't think that you can refuse to let a child go with someone who has been drinking but you can phone the police as soon as they go or while they're still with you if they refuse to phone someone else up to collect.

Pipsqueak
22-11-2011, 03:28 PM
I agree - I have it written in my policies that if I suspect and adult incapable of looking after a child due to being under the influence then i will not let them go with them.

Whilst you may have this written into your P&P's you cannot stop someone who has PR or legal guardianship taking the child. I am not sure if you can stop the parents representative.....

what IS advised is to get that person to come in and have a coffee - buy yourself some time... ring an alternative numbers and appraise them
IF that person who smells of alcohol (or you believe to be under the influence) insists on taking the child your ONLY option is to ring the police.

If you refuse to hand a child over to the responsible person its YOU who can be prosecuted

So think carefully - you may need to think fast on your feet and engage that person in a LOT of babble nonsense talk or be extremely blunt and hope its all ok that they listen to you.

I had this hoohaa when I had it written in my policies the same as you..... when I was caring for a tot via a scheme the parent would often be under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol...... I queried this about hand over and was told categorically by social services, ncma and safeguarding persons I cannot refuse to hand the child over to their parent/legal guardian.

Just remember though - some medical conditions can cause a person to 'smell of alcohol and even behave as if they are.

ziggy
22-11-2011, 03:30 PM
I was on a child protection course recently and seems things havent changed since i completed courses in england!

Minders do not have the right to stop mindees being taken by parent/ guardian. We were advised to suggest another person collect or phone police when child has left

Not sure how this affects policies minders have in place.

Oh and are you sure it was alcohol???? friend collected me from airport last year and said 'OMG u reek of drink' I had actually been sucking sore throat sweets!!!!!!!

EmmaReed84
22-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Thank you so much for the advice. And I asked friend about being sure and she said this person had just come from a wake so was pretty confident it was alcohol as it was held in a pub.

I suppose if my friend had asked and raised concerned about the smell of alchohol it only shows she cares about her mindees safety and not just being funny