PDA

View Full Version : How do you encourage children to drink?

Mouse
22-11-2011, 09:52 AM
I miind a lo who is 13mths old. Yesterday she was here for the whole day & only had about 2oz of water all day.

Her beaker is out at all times & she will often go & get it, but doesn't drink more than a sip. At snack and meal times I give her a drink, but again, she never has more than a sip or 2. I have tried watered down squash as I know she drinks it at home, but she doesn't really bother with that either, so I don't think it's a question of not liking water.

I have tried different beakers, but she doesn't have a preference. Any tips?

kel1983
22-11-2011, 10:02 AM
I have children like this. At lunch time I give them a steady cup with a little bit in at a time. They think they are grown up so more likely to drink. But this is with 18 month olds +. Not sure a 13 month old will be ready for a cup with no lid on.

ziggy
22-11-2011, 10:12 AM
I have a 3yr old been with me since he was 8months, hardly drinks anything all day but seems fit n well. I used to worry about it

Zoomie
22-11-2011, 11:50 AM
With a LO so young, I am not sure.

I had an 8m here last week, and I just held the sippy cup by her mouth for a bit longer, so that she actually drank some water down.

However, I am having great success with a 3y old. I basically tell him that he can't drink his drink all the way to the bottom, which usually turns into him telling me he can, and we have this friendly banter till we see the bottom of the cup and then huge amounts of praise.

Last week, to help with counting and number recognition, I started giving him a sticker with an empty cup on and a number next to it, each time he finished a drink. We managed 5 cups (250ml) throughout the day. :D

sarah707
22-11-2011, 06:28 PM
I would sit down all through the day for regular drink breaks. You have your drink and the little one has their drink... and drink together! :D

Babycat
22-11-2011, 06:50 PM
em as above regular breaks, a fancy straw, special cup..? i remember in the nursery i trained in (8yrs ago!) staff having water races lol x

VeggieSausage
22-11-2011, 07:01 PM
yes a fancy straw often works well i think.....

Pipsqueak
22-11-2011, 08:14 PM
My own youngest isn't a drinker at all. He would never voluntarily have a drink - every.

he is just on 7 now and I have to constantly remind and cajole him to have a drink. Even the school nurse became involved but the school (teachers) have been useless!

When James was a his childminders she was really concerned too - when they got in from school she used to get them all to sit down for a drink.
I just get him to drink little and very often.

If anyone else has has any ideas they would be gratefully received:)

miffy
22-11-2011, 08:20 PM
I have a little one like this, although now they will ask for their cup they don't drink very much at all.

Fortunately they like fruit so I give plenty of that.

TBH they seem fit and well so I wonder if I'm worrying for nothing.

Miffy xx

Pipsqueak
22-11-2011, 08:35 PM
oh I forgot give lots of ice pops/lollies and even better if you can make your own...

it worked for a while with James !