PDA

View Full Version : Self Evaluation/Planning/LJ ... I don't have a clue ....

time_4_change
21-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Hi

Just wondering when I should start SEF? I have only had my first mindee for 4 hours a week settle in this month.

I was thinking of doing an action plan? is this correct? and also finding resource ideas from catalogues and sticking them in a book with an explanation of why i want them in my setting etc?

I am really stuck on planning too but I haven't done anything yet because of min hours and settle in. I have just been doing free play.

I did a quick observation ... we was looking through animal book and mindee copied some sounds. I put what i thought it linked to on EYFS and that next steps would be too look at more animal stories to learn new words and sounds, to go and feed the ducks, and to make activites involve learning about animals. I have made my topic for december animals and of course leading up to christmas will be christmas activites :)

I really could do with doing a childcare course but with all the cuts going on I can't get funding and I can't afford to pay myself just yet :(

Any advice is welcome, having a down day

Leanne x

T0ffee
21-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Don't get too down, you can start your self evaluation at any time. It might be an idea to start now so you can gain some insight to what the self evaluation asks you, also this will show how you have developed your knowledge as you learn new skills and begin to put them into practice.

We receive an email with all our courses listed from the LA, look at the free or minimum payment ones to begin with and you will soon build up your knowledge.

See if you can get funding to do your NVQ level 2 or 3 for free by looking on the Internet!

Most of all you will be fine, keep positive :thumbsup:

mrs robbie williams
22-11-2011, 06:46 AM
Im doing a funded childcare course with a company called parenta - let me know if you want their contact details xx

blue bear
22-11-2011, 07:18 AM
Sounds like you understand the observation, linking and next steps. Well done you :clapping:
My advice would be to keep it simple and immediate, so what you observed one day build on it the next. You dont say what age your mindee is? Older children love themes where as younger ones don't understand them but it quite often helps the minder keep things on track.

I'd at least read through the sef and try filling in anything you feel confident to, Its a long document and doesn't need to be filled in in one go, it will change as your practice develops.

Zoomie
22-11-2011, 09:54 PM
You don't have to do the SEF, just some form of self reflection / evaluation.

So, you tried making animals with some junk modelling.

Your self reflection would be to look back at that activity (or maybe another that you did that week) and briefly jot down what went well (or what didn't) and how you could possibly improve it.

Or you look back on your week and realise that you really need to update your behavioural / healthy eating policy or you need to read a book about schemas or get some training .....

I'm trying this, cos I have SEF and refuse to do it.