PDA

View Full Version : Halal Food/Snacks

stonecourtcare
21-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Hi,

I've recently just started looking after a little Muslim boy after school for an hour. I know how hungry mine are when they get home and he is too so I would like to be able to give him a healthy snack. At home he gets a Kit-Kat but I'm not happy with that (conflicts with EYFS/ECM/Healthy eating). I'd normally do a small sandwich or cheese/crackers with fruit but I'm not sure if they're halal or haram

Can anyone suggest a snack that is halal and healthy and that I can obtain from a mainstream supermarket?

rickysmiths
22-11-2011, 12:01 PM
He should be able to eat fruit, cheese, biscuits etc. Ask his parents and if there is anything special get them to provide it.

Nature'sKids!
22-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Think it only applies to meat products. A sandwich with humus or veggie / bean pate, falafels, veggie stuffing balls, salad, fruit, etc. Ask about dairy but as far as I'm aware it's ok to have.

Faye1980
01-02-2012, 09:14 PM
I look after 3 Muslim Children, i can purchase some Halal meats from Asda quite easily or from the cash and carry, or i substitute with quorn. Halal only applies to meat products. So they can eat any fish no problem or Halal meats milk and cheese, but NEVER pork!!

Meat products can also be in sweets like Haribo's or fruitella, marshmellows Jelly and angel delight in the form of gelatine. So if your going to let the kids have a treat make sure the packet states suitable for vegetarians. Hope this helps :-)

miffy
01-02-2012, 10:01 PM
I think I'd take advice from the parents and give what they are happy for him to have.

Miffy xx

angeldelight
01-02-2012, 10:46 PM
I look after a little boy who is the same

He is allowed fruit

Fruit yoghurt and fromage frais

Potato cut into bite-sized pieces and then microwaved till cooked through (serve with beans)
The children sing the bean song to this not sure if you have heard it but the parent told me about it ....

Beans, beans, the magical fruit
The more you eat, the more you toot
The more you toot, the better you feel
So we have beans at every meal!

Kids think its hilarious

I have a few simple recipes if you want them just message me your email addy

Angel xx

maisiemog
02-02-2012, 07:12 AM
The muslim boys I mind can eat dairy and fruit. Also allowed fish as well.

I buy halal sausages for them sometimes and cut them up and serve them cold with veg sticks as a snack.

They are only ad hoc for me though so dont come very often.

I was very nervous of the halal part to start with but its much, much easier to feed them than it is my LO who seems to be allergic to almost everything!!!

rickysmiths
02-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Folks the OP hasn't been on the Forum since Nov last year!