PDA

View Full Version : Are any of you nannies ?

lynnslittleuns
21-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Hi ive been childminding for nearly 5 years and have just been approached to be a nanny to a brother and sister, 3 days a week.
Does any one else do childminding and nannying, is it possible and what are the differences as far as pay is concerned. I would prefer to remain self employed.

Thanks.
Lynn xx

pinky33
21-11-2011, 10:07 PM
You can be self employed! It's unusual but do able.
Make sure you quote the right gross hourly rate and you will probably have to file it separately from your childminding earnings as obviously you can't make the same deductions as your not working from your home.

Being a nanny is very different from being your own boss though so lots of luck :)

Zumba-mum
21-11-2011, 10:14 PM
The best bit about being a nanny is you don't need to do any paper work no rc, obs ect :D but like the other person your not your own boss so they might ask you to do light house work depending on the age of the kids and can ask you to stay in for the day ect. I was a nanny for over 11 years and was getting £8hr though i did take my little on to work.

ziggy
22-11-2011, 08:40 AM
I was a nanny for the family i now childmind for, it was ok but i prefer being in my own house, found it difficult to discipline children in their house + daddys office was in loft!!!!!

But on the plus side it was nice to just be with children without paper work etc

JCrakers
22-11-2011, 11:16 AM
I used to be a nanny. It's very different to being a childminder. No paperwork for a start, your house can go back to being a home and you can go out to work.
It's probably something I will go back into although I do earn more now.

I used to get £220 a week but that was 13yrs ago. So pay has probably gone up. I would hope to get around £8.50 an hour
Tax and NI is paid by your employer.

Only thing is if you allow, you can get treated like a skivvy..housework,ironing etc. I have always refused to do this as I look after kids, I am not a cleaner or a Cook :D I made this clear at the interviews.

lynnslittleuns
22-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Thanks everyone.

After having met and discussed the situation with the new prospective parents, we have agreed that I will childmind the children until xmas as I have other minded children to look after.

We are going to see how this 3 week settling in period goes and take it from there in the new year. If all goes well I think they will agree to me childminding their children. I would prefer this.

Lynn xx

miffy
22-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Hope it works out for you.

Miffy xx

lynnslittleuns
26-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks everyone.

Lynn xx:thumbsup: