PDA

View Full Version : booster seat for 4 month old?

chez
21-11-2011, 07:14 PM
The 4 month old that I care for has just started weaning and Im looking for a booster seat for him to sit in while I feed him.
All the booster seats I can find are for 6month+

Anyone with any ideas?

EmmaReed84
21-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Next did one a couple of years ago, not sure of they still do. I was a nice recliner one from 3 months.

PixiePetal
21-11-2011, 07:20 PM
are bumbos for younger children?

One of my highchairs reclines too

Allie
21-11-2011, 07:24 PM
I put one of those high chair extra seat pads onto a normal booster seat and that worked well, this was pre EYFS, but I think it would still be ok if you done a risk assessment

Allie

loocyloo
21-11-2011, 07:39 PM
i've used a bumbo or a bouncer chair ( fixed though !;) ) for feeding LO before they can sit up by themselves in a highchair.

my friend had a booster seat that reclined, but sorry, i can't remember the make!

chez
21-11-2011, 07:51 PM
see I dont have a bouncy chair, and hes not keen on them. Ive got a swing but thats not going to be much fun.
I tried to feed him on the sofa last week but food everywhere.

Roll on whens hes 6 mths

sonia ann
21-11-2011, 07:55 PM
can you use his car seat?

linzi133
21-11-2011, 08:20 PM
I have one of these. It'sfab!

http://www.boots.com/en/Fisher-Price-Precious-Planet-Newborn-to-Toddler-Rocker_1160185/

HTH

Nature'sKids!
21-11-2011, 08:46 PM
If he can't sit upby himself he's too young to wean anyway, does mum know this?

sonia ann
21-11-2011, 09:03 PM

every child is different, some are ready at 3mths, some at 6mths plus............

EmmaReed84
21-11-2011, 09:18 PM
I had a look around as Next dont seem to do the one I mentioned however I did find a booster seat not sure how to do links but below is the info. Maybe try to google it?

safety 1st Recline and Grow Booster Seat
Suitable for child from 3 months to 22kg.5 stages to grow with your child from 3 months to toddler.

EmmaReed84
21-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Just tried to google "safety 1st Recline and Grow Booster Seat" and it came up with a few. x

Loushah
21-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Does your swing have a stabilising arm?

I have a 5 month old son and I feed him in a swing (http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-starlite-swing-once-upon-a-time/470516000/type-i/), using the stabilising arm. It can sit him up straight with a little recline as he can't sit up unaided.

I found with my other son that the bumbo seat was good to use from about 6months for feeding.

My sister in law also has a 5 month old and she puts him in a highchair and puts cushions down each side of him, I don't like to do that myself.

crazyhazy
21-11-2011, 10:00 PM
every child is different, some are ready at 3mths, some at 6mths plus............

doubtful, yes they are all different but the guidelines do recommend around the middle of the first year, which 4 months isn't. I'll take a guess that baby can't sit unsupported, still has a tongue reflex and hasn't developed the hand-eye coordination to enable them to feed themselves yet.

Becci26
21-11-2011, 10:05 PM

???? really? All children are different, my daughter was weaned at 4 months and she has turned out OK, what affectdoes it have?

T0ffee
21-11-2011, 10:10 PM
When my children were being weaned I was told to wean at 12 weeks!!! Therefore the government has always changed their minds on these things and that is why we trust our instincts and wean our babies when we think they are ready for a more substantial diet.

All children are different and if it was so bad to wean at 4 months why does baby food say from 4+ months!

crazyhazy
21-11-2011, 10:12 PM
???? really? All children are different, my daughter was weaned at 4 months and she has turned out OK, what affectdoes it have?

It is now recommended to wean around the middle of the first year and not before 17 weeks. It is thought after lots of research by people who understand these things that prior to then the digestive system is not mature enough to deal with food and it is thought that is why there is a large number of adults with issues like irritable bowel syndrome and allergies. Obviously it's not a exact science but the signs to look for now include being able to sit unsupported, having no tongue reflex (lots of younger babies appear to push the food out their mouths and this is because they still have this) and not having the hand-eye coordination to enable them to pick food up and get it to their mouth.

crazyhazy
21-11-2011, 10:14 PM
When my children were being weaned I was told to wean at 12 weeks!!! Therefore the government has always changed their minds on these things and that is why we trust our instincts and wean our babies when we think they are ready for a more substantial diet.

All children are different and if it was so bad to wean at 4 months why does baby food say from 4+ months!

erm because they want to make money!

I'm sure if you check guidelines on cancer treatments, pregnancy etc etc then you will find they have all changed over the years, this is why research is being done all the time. Are you seriously suggesting you'd want the same rules kept forever!

sonia ann
21-11-2011, 10:29 PM
doubtful, yes they are all different but the guidelines do recommend around the middle of the first year, which 4 months isn't. I'll take a guess that baby can't sit unsupported, still has a tongue reflex and hasn't developed the hand-eye coordination to enable them to feed themselves yet.

These are guidelines....................not set in stone and there is always room for flexibility. I believe in being guided by the child.......one of mine commenced weaning at 10 weeks; 2 commenced at 3-4 mths and the youngest at 7mths.......as I said all children are different

T0ffee
21-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Not at all Crazyhazy!!!! Research etc is a good thing but as you say not an exact science!!!

It makes you laugh that we are told different things at different ages/stages and certainly my children have developed and grown with no issues! Therefore trusting our instincts and knowing your child does influence many things we do for them.

chez
21-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Ladies Im asking for advice on booster seats not if this baby is old enough for food.

He is happy eatting and does not try and push food out of his mouth.

Mum is happy what would you suggest telling her that while he is with me I refuse to give him food

T0ffee
21-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Lol, I use highchair. If needed I would prop them up with blankets, cushions etc-as long as it has the 5 point harness they won't fall out-risk assess it!!

Nature'sKids!
22-11-2011, 12:24 AM
erm because they want to make money!

I'm sure if you check guidelines on cancer treatments, pregnancy etc etc then you will find they have all changed over the years, this is why research is being done all the time. Are you seriously suggesting you'd want the same rules kept forever!

That's such a good point, never thought of it like that! When it comes to weaning etc so many people seem to say "well I weaned at 4 months and x is fine", despite newest research showing it's not ideal.
Years ago people were bled if they were ill, or other things that have since been discarded, even though people did recover or were fine.
Thanks for pointing that out!

blue bear
22-11-2011, 07:44 AM
What about feeding him in the buggy, maybe it a towel underneath in case of mess? Or just have Him sat on your lap?

kindredspirits
22-11-2011, 09:06 AM
I would suggest a bumbo or a reclining highchair - or you could sit LO on your knee whilst they eat but it could get a little messy.

My son couldn't sit up unaided until 7 months old, despite crawling long before then, and the consultant he was under recommended I start weaning him a little short of 4 months old so yes, every child is different and to follow any 'guidelines' as if they are law is very narrowminded IMO.

rickysmiths
22-11-2011, 09:15 AM
If he can't sit up by himself he's too young to wean anyway, does mum know this?

They are all different and I have heard a lot of things regarding weaning over my 19yrs as a parent and 17 as a cm, but never this.

Where is the research about this to be found I'd be interested in reading it?

Both my own children and all their friends were weaned at 3-4 months. I sit little ones on my knee to feed them. If they are too heavy or wriggle then I have used the first car seat to sit them in. I put it on the sofa or a table, obviously don't leave them for a second and they are just there for feeding or as others have said in a bouncy chair.

rickysmiths
22-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Not at all Crazyhazy!!!! Research etc is a good thing but as you say not an exact science!!!

It makes you laugh that we are told different things at different ages/stages and certainly my children have developed and grown with no issues! Therefore trusting our instincts and knowing your child does influence many things we do for them.

I agree with this. It is interesting to me though that with the onset of later weaning we are seeing children with many more allergies and asthma etc than my children's generation (they are 19 and 17)or my generation (50s baby)ever have had.

PixiePetal
22-11-2011, 09:29 AM
They are all different and I have heard a lot of things regarding weaning over my 19yrs as a parent and 17 as a cm, but never this.

Both my own children and all their friends were weaned at 3-4 months. I sit little ones on my knee to feed them. If they are too heavy or wriggle then I have used the first car seat to sit them in. I put it on the sofa or a table, obviously don't leave them for a second and they are just there for feeding or as others have said in a bouncy chair.

I have never heard this either although I know things change over the years :rolleyes: I too would be interested to read research

DD started at 11 weeks and never pushed anything out of her mouth, straight down and gagging for more!
DS was 9 weeks - a big baby and very hungry. Of course this was just bland rice etc to start, not the full roast dinner! If I had waited till he could sit up he would have wasted away :rolleyes: he sat at 7 months although he commando crawled to get about
By 6 months they were both on 3 meals a day + 2 bottles. Both now tall and skinny, unlike their mother :laughing:

Zoomie
22-11-2011, 09:34 AM

Not the research you've asked for, but the official gov guidelines:

http://www.nhs.uk/Planners/birthtofive/Pages/Weaningfirststeps.aspx

Half way down, it mentions abt weaning readiness.

Abt 6 months, is not 4 months.

Mouse
22-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Going back to the origional question, I put little ones in a first stage car seat to feed them. I don't use the car seats in a car (I don't drive), but find them really handy to have in the house. I can pop a baby in to feed them, if I want to nip to the toilet etc.

One thing I would NEVER do though is stand the carseat on a table. That is a huge hate of mine & is something we are told to never do (even if you are with them). If the seat should fall, it could kill the child.

Helen79
22-11-2011, 10:14 AM
I agree with this. It is interesting to me though that with the onset of later weaning we are seeing children with many more allergies and asthma etc than my children's generation (they are 19 and 17)or my generation (50s baby)ever have had.

But there's no many other factors apart from just early weaning. Children's diets are worse now, babies are often weaned onto totally inappropriate foods, more parents using jars to wean, more pollution, use of air fresheners, more chemicals and cleaning products etc.
I don't believe in weaning before 6months either and would be reluctant to wean before then even if parents asked me to.

I always feed babies in the bouncy chair though when they were too small for the highchair.

JCrakers
22-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Agree with a recliner, that's what I used for my own two children. They are then reclined a little as they can't sit.

I won't tell you how old my dd was when I weaned her.....sure it will cause a huge argument...lol :D

rickysmiths
22-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Not the research you've asked for, but the official gov guidelines:

http://www.nhs.uk/Planners/birthtofive/Pages/Weaningfirststeps.aspx

Half way down, it mentions abt weaning readiness.

Abt 6 months, is not 4 months.

Thanks for that Zoomie. I am aware of the Official Guidelines. I wondered if there was something else out there as well.

rickysmiths
22-11-2011, 11:32 AM
But there's no many other factors apart from just early weaning. Children's diets are worse now, babies are often weaned onto totally inappropriate foods, more parents using jars to wean, more pollution, use of air fresheners, more chemicals and cleaning products etc.
I don't believe in weaning before 6months either and would be reluctant to wean before then even if parents asked me to.

I always feed babies in the bouncy chair though when they were too small for the highchair.

I agree absolutely. I know some of my friends were horrified that I didn't use the detox spray (it was new in 1993) to sanitize everything my dd touched!! I have never used any anti bac sprays even for childminding, air fresheners sprays or plug ins, bleach. I have nearly always fresh cooked food for my two jars for emergencies only, I didn't even use that horrible Baby Rice I made up Ground Rice instead. I think there is a lot of ignorance with parents and belief that as long as they use the organic range baby foods they are alright. Personally I don't know how they can afford to buy it it is soooo expensive.

rickysmiths
22-11-2011, 11:33 AM
I have never heard this either although I know things change over the years :rolleyes: I too would be interested to read research

DD started at 11 weeks and never pushed anything out of her mouth, straight down and gagging for more!
DS was 9 weeks - a big baby and very hungry. Of course this was just bland rice etc to start, not the full roast dinner! If I had waited till he could sit up he would have wasted away :rolleyes: he sat at 7 months although he commando crawled to get about
By 6 months they were both on 3 meals a day + 2 bottles. Both now tall and skinny, unlike their mother :laughing:

Mine were the same as yours. Three square meals by six months!!

Nature'sKids!
22-11-2011, 11:58 AM

That's because there are also more chemicals used in every day life, more vaccinations, which can cause allergies and asthma, more cars producing more fumes, more cesareans, (which means baby's don't get the bacteria from the vagina which help colonise baby with friendly bacteria all needed for immune function etc,) and many other things that mean we are all more at risk of chronic illnesses etc. Early weaning is linked to all sorts of problems later on in life. Te WHO still recommend exclusive breast / milk feeding until 6 months

Nature'sKids!
22-11-2011, 12:08 PM
All the research I've read (and its been a lot) suggest babies digestive system is ready *sometime between* 4-6 months in full term babies When this happens exactly noone can say, hence why it is safest to wait until 6 months.

A babies gut is still "open" until this point which means food particles can pass through the gut lining into the bloodstream causing an immune response and allergic reaction. If you wean too early and a baby isn't ready it might not even show up thatthere are any problems until they are much older. My husband, brother, myself, some good friends, who were all weaned early, all seem *fine* were not obese, haven't got diabetes (two most common concerns)
However we all have digestive problems of some sort (IBS, acid reflux,...) or allergies and asthma, skin problems (which reflect what goes on inside the body),... Yes, were *fine* but for my kids *fine* isn't good enough and if I know that there is a risk, however small it might be, I will avoid that risk if I can.
My grandad lived to 93, fit as a fiddle, ride his bike to get the shopping tillthe end,... He smoked all his life. Doesn't mean smoking is *fine* - although it was promoted as having health benefits when it initially got marketed to the general public!!!!! Now we know better! Lol

rickysmiths
22-11-2011, 12:14 PM
That's because there are also more chemicals used in every day life, more vaccinations, which can cause allergies and asthma, more cars producing more fumes, more cesareans, (which means baby's don't get the bacteria from the vagina which help colonise baby with friendly bacteria all needed for immune function etc,) and many other things that mean we are all more at risk of chronic illnesses etc. Early weaning is linked to all sorts of problems later on in life. Te WHO still recommend exclusive breast / milk feeding until 6 months

I know all this but would be interested in reading the research that lead to you comment about no weaning until they can sit up because I have never heard this as I explained and would be interested to read about it.

My children probably had more vaccinations than a lot of children now have. I certainly did as a RAF child who lived abroad, I was like a pin cushion by the age of 7yrs lol

Cars I meant to produce less emissions now aren't they than when mine were little in the nineties? Certainly we are better off than the fifties/sixties when I grew up I still have memories of the dreadful Smogs we used to have, and people died because of them. Much less coal and log fires, I remember when every house in the street had smoke coming out of the chimney.

We have cleaner air now than we have had for years.

Nature'sKids!
22-11-2011, 12:23 PM
http://www.analyticalarmadillo.co.uk/search/label/Starting%20Solids

Nature'sKids!
22-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Basically, when you can sit, your abdominal and back muscles are strong enough to support your head / neck which enables easier swallowing, and also supports the broper function if the bowels - even adults digest food better when sat up straight at a dining table, rather than laid back in a recliner or crouched over food on a sofa etc. Sitting upright helps food be moved down and gives the digestive tract the space and support to digest properly

rickysmiths
22-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Basically, when you can sit, your abdominal and back muscles are strong enough to support your head / neck which enables easier swallowing, and also supports the broper function if the bowels - even adults digest food better when sat up straight at a dining table, rather than laid back in a recliner or crouched over food on a sofa etc. Sitting upright helps food be moved down and gives the digestive tract the space and support to digest properly

OK I see the logic but if the child is in a slightly reclined seat or sitting on your knee their back would be straight anyway and the same angle as most high chairs are now., not scrunched up or crouched over.

Poor old Romans on their reclined beds. I never realised they suffered so from bad digestion!

JCrakers
22-11-2011, 01:13 PM
I must say I was weaned at 3months in the 70's.....nowt wrong with me
well thats debatable sometimes :D

crazyhazy
22-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Natures Kids has explained the reasoning behind the guidelines better than me I think. A little saying I like in these debates is "evidence is not the plural of anecdote" just cos joe bloggs was weaned at 6 weeks on a roast dinner and is fine does not mean guidelines are nonsense!

Personally I like to use guidelines and my instinct combined, I exclusively bf till around 6 months with both my girls, think #1 was 22 weeks when she started weaning and #2 was 26 weeks, funnily enough since milk (breast or formula) has far more calories than baby rice or similar they didn't starve or waste away since I bf on demand.

Interestingly nearly everyone I know who weaned early around 4 months did so because of sleepless nights and being sure food would help the baby sleep long, this is a huge growth spurt time and they do wake up and need more milk. They then decide that when baby starts sleeping better at 6mish that it's cos their having 3 meals a day whereas in fact it's coincidence that the growth spurt has ended. If a bit of baby rice etc makes baby go longer between feeds etc then it's not necessarily a good thing it's cos their little tummys are struggling to digest it.

chez
22-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Hes drinking just as much milk as he was as well as his food, hes trying to pull the spoon towards himself as he does the bottle

crazyhazy
22-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Hes drinking just as much milk as he was as well as his food, hes trying to pull the spoon towards himself as he does the bottle

I'm not having a go honestly, just trying to put the proper info out there as so many people don't seem to realise the reasoning behind it. But if you hand him a pen or a toy I bet he'd try to put it in his mouth too x

Nature'sKids!
22-11-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm not having a go honestly, just trying to put the proper info out there as so many people don't seem to realise the reasoning behind it. But if you hand him a pen or a toy I bet he'd try to put it in his mouth too x

Yes, this is the one bit of "signs of readiness" I disagree with. Babies watch you from the start, they even suck their hands / thumbs in the womb! So a baby trying to reach out to hold something and then sticking it in their mouth can happen as soon as they've got the coordination. My second was 2 1/2 months when he did this with a rattle. He licked and sucked everything. He did also sit up unaided at 4 1/2 months, admittedly but even the health visitor said that it is very unusual. Doesn't mean he was ready for food, we did blw and he didn't ingest anything until 8 months. Before that he maybe liked at a carrot etc but that was more for soothing his gums.

jane5
22-11-2011, 09:10 PM
[QUOTE=Nature'sKids!;1014205]All the research I've read (and its been a lot) suggest babies digestive system is ready *sometime between* 4-6 months in full term babies When this happens exactly noone can say, hence why it is safest to wait until 6 months.

This is a "one size fits all" piece of advice and babies are not "one size fits all".
Some babies digestive systems are mature enough at 4 months and it is "safe" to feed them because they are hungry and some babies digestive systems are not mature enough until 6 months. As doctors can not see which child is ready they say 6 months for all.

What upsets me is when a child of 5 months is hungry and ready for food, refusing milk and stares (not just watches) at you whilst you eat, not sleeping or settling and crying more than normal and the mum will not even try weaning (to see if this settles the child) because the health visitor advises 6 months to the day :angry:

This child stopped crying and was a happy child days after being weaned at 6 months :rolleyes:

Nature'sKids!
22-11-2011, 11:33 PM
There's no way of knowing when their mature enough though. It's all guesswork. If you can wait until 6 months then wait, especially knowing that theres a risk to weaning earlier, that's all I'm saying. If you can't wait, or there are medical reasons or whatever, know the risks and feed the mildest foods you can. Generally fresh ripe fruit is almost as easy to digest as breastmilk so ideal first weaning foods, packed full of natural sugars and vitamins essential for energy, and nutrition. Unfortunately most people I know of personally put rusks in baby bottles and feed rice just to help them sleep longer. :/

rickysmiths
23-11-2011, 12:04 AM
I wasn't able to breast feed my dd. by 3 mths she was on 9 x 9oz bottles a day and still would have taken more. She would have burst if I had given her more liquid bless her. She weaned on ground rice made with formular milk very easily and was on mashed vegetables with a little meat and mashed fruits by 6 months. She was a happy child after a long battle with wind when she was on milk alone she settled down and was sleeping through the night and more contented than she has been prior to weaning. She has grown into a healthy woman with no dietary problem and enjoys eating a wide variety of foods.

I breast fed my son until he was 6 months old, by which time I was exhausted and as he was also eating well by this time he transferred to drinking milk from a cup and we have again never looked back.

Interestingly, 19 years on I really can't see the difference that breast feeding my son for so long has made, compared to his older sister never having been breast fed and being given only formular!!

Neither of my children had any antibiotics until they were over 2yrs old and thought they both have had them in 19 years I can count the times between them on the fingers of one hand. I have had 2yr old mindees who have has antibiotics more often than that :eek: they seem to be given them at the slightest hint of any illness at the moment.

Neither of my two or their cousins 4 of them all weaned by 6 mths have had any food allergies or health problems and they are all in their late teens/early twenties.

I know it is different for all children of course it is but I too hate to see parents effectively bullied by people into thinking they are harming their child if they dare wean them a day before 26 weeks when that is not always the best thing for the child.

I shall never forget a very distraught mum bringing her dd one day after she was one saying we had got to stop giving her child bottle from today. The child loved her bottle of milk and despite a few tries refused to drink milk out of a cup. I asked why, 'oh the Health Visitor said when she was one I should stop the bottle' I asked why so sudden to be told it would affect the child's teeth very badly. As if going over this deadline to make a major difference!! The effect of the strict advise was devistating to the mother though, who really though she was going to harm her baby if she used a bottle for a day after it's first birthday

I think as professionals we have to be very careful when dealing with parents over these such 'deadlines'.

PixiePetal
23-11-2011, 07:13 AM
I wasn't able to breast feed my dd. by 3 mths she was on 9 x 9oz bottles a day and still would have taken more. She would have burst if I had given her more liquid bless her. She weaned on ground rice made with formular milk very easily and was on mashed vegetables with a little meat and mashed fruits by 6 months. She was a happy child after a long battle with wind when she was on milk alone she settled down and was sleeping through the night and more contented than she has been prior to weaning. She has grown into a healthy woman with no dietary problem and enjoys eating a wide variety of foods.

I breast fed my son until he was 6 months old, by which time I was exhausted and as he was also eating well by this time he transferred to drinking milk from a cup and we have again never looked back.

Interestingly, 19 years on I really can't see the difference that breast feeding my son for so long has made, compared to his older sister never having been breast fed and being given only formular!!

Neither of my children had any antibiotics until they were over 2yrs old and thought they both have had them in 19 years I can count the times between them on the fingers of one hand. I have had 2yr old mindees who have has antibiotics more often than that :eek: they seem to be given them at the slightest hint of any illness at the moment.

Neither of my two or their cousins 4 of them all weaned by 6 mths have had any food allergies or health problems and they are all in their late teens/early twenties.

I know it is different for all children of course it is but I too hate to see parents effectively bullied by people into thinking they are harming their child if they dare wean them a day before 26 weeks when that is not always the best thing for the child.

I shall never forget a very distraught mum bringing her dd one day after she was one saying we had got to stop giving her child bottle from today. The child loved her bottle of milk and despite a few tries refused to drink milk out of a cup. I asked why, 'oh the Health Visitor said when she was one I should stop the bottle' I asked why so sudden to be told it would affect the child's teeth very badly. As if going over this deadline to make a major difference!! The effect of the strict advise was devistating to the mother though, who really though she was going to harm her baby if she used a bottle for a day after it's first birthday

I think as professionals we have to be very careful when dealing with parents over these such 'deadlines'.

Your children are of a similar age to mine. I breast fed both and then combined breast and bottle - DD fed well but had colic which settled when she started solids. When I told one HV she had solids, HV was surprised the next one said 'well she is a hungry baby' - I did what felt right for us both. I just didn't have enough milk for DS and he was hungry and losing weight. He never liked bottles much nor did DD, they stopped milk drinking altogether by 15-18months and have never drank it since - only on cereals, in yogs and cheese.

I too have had fractious mother bringing baby who only had milk and the moment they had turned 6 months gave it solids - as if 1 day would make a difference :rolleyes:

Nature'sKids!
23-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Obviously doesn't help when there is no or little support.
Fussiness, colic, reflux and other things that make babies cranky can so easily be helped by simplycarrying baby a lot in a carrier but so many parents are also told "not to spoil baby" or "make a rod for their own back" so even IF someone would offer them a carrier or the advice to carry to help comfort baby, they daren't because they don't want to "make baby clingy". *sigh*. Parenting isn't easy, I know with my first I worked about a lot.
Truly, I am so grateful for reading the continuum concept. This book changed my life and made it so easy to look after babies! Lol it's easier with two than what it was with my first during the first 6 months.

flora
23-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Intersting reading ladies :thumbsup:

Nice to compare points of view :thumbsup:

I personally think guidlines are just that. They are not cast in stone and dontALWAYS have to be followed to the letter.

In a perfect world we would all have nice easy vaginal births, all be able to sleep through the night at a few weeks old, breast feed without any problems, wean at 6months and not a day before :D and generally sail through parenthood just like the books ay without a hitch.

In reality life does not play out like a fairy strory and with the best will in the world keep changing all the advice given does nothing but confuse most parents out there :(

caz3007
26-11-2011, 08:29 PM
I think all parents do what they feel is best by their child. After all they dont come with manuals.

BTW my older two are 22 and 19 and both were on baby rice at 12 weeks (ducks) and my 8 year old followed suit even though the guidelines had changed, the others were fine, so I went with what I felt happy with.

All three are very healthy and hardly visit the docs. I cant remember the last time we had to take the youngest to the docs.

I have had babies to look after during my time as CM and would support the parents in whatever they wanted to do, if they asked me to wean at 4 months, then so be it and the same if it was 6 months, its down to them.

llkbabob
06-02-2012, 11:04 AM
could you not get a cheap bouncer maybe?
i have a reclining highchair.