PDA

View Full Version : trying to teach kids to cross roads

JCrakers
21-11-2011, 05:12 PM
I have always tried to involve the kids when crossing the roads on the school run. They are quiet side roads so nothing too busy. All the school kids I have are boys, one will be looking at the floor, another one shouting to his mate over the road, another one gazing up into the sky....it takes about 5mins to get everyone actually looking at the road....:rolleyes:

I have started asking each one in turn if its safe to cross. Most are really good at letting me know when its safe but one boy in particular whose nearly 8yrs, has a quick look each way and then says it's safe...there's usually a car coming...:rolleyes:
This morning I said...'is it safe to cross J?' to which he looked at the sky and said yes Becky....:laughing:

Argghhhhh...patience of a saint needed....its hard work :)

Pipsqueak
21-11-2011, 05:27 PM
i just won't cross - we all wait until everyone uses their eyes and ears properly

normally a bit of peer pressure works - failing that a wrist strap until they can be safe

funemnx
21-11-2011, 06:00 PM
I keep mine on reins until they're 4. Funnily enough all mine are boys too! :laughing:

I do the same - picking one to get us across safely, and yes they all say it's safe to cross even when something is coming. I just hope eventually it'll sink in! :eek:

sarah707
21-11-2011, 06:00 PM
I know exactly how you feel! it's usually the boys here as well though the girls can be just as bad gossiping to their friends and missing the road completely :rolleyes:

It is road safety week this week - have a nosey at their website for activity ideas :D

http://www.brake.org.uk/

ziggy
22-11-2011, 10:30 AM
thanks for link, very useful

I have mainly boys and we walk home from school, weather permitting. I make everyone stand and wait and dont cross till everyone is looking and listening, can take ages some days but i dont give in lol