PDA

View Full Version : Teachers strike

yummymummy
21-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Get ready for extra childcare requests!
Just collected my after schoolies and handed a letter to say Wednesday 30th November only 2 classes open in the whole school due to the teachers being on strike in every other class.

JCrakers
21-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Yes...I had a letter to say it might close, we are waiting confirmation.

Dont know if Im happy for the extra cash or not :laughing:

BuggsieMoo
21-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Yeah ive had the letters as well - school is closed so Ill have my 4 and 4 out of my 6 mindees as 1 does not come on a Wednesday ever as mum does not work and the others mum has a day off anyway. Busy busy day and it will be walking wherever we go as car only seats 7!

Chimps Childminding
21-11-2011, 05:53 PM
None of my parents have even mentioned the fact that there may be closure due to strike action - but hey why would I need to know anway :rolleyes:

I will wait and see what happens! Thankfully it will only be 2 extra for me and I only have 1 lo booked in on 30th anyway so not too bad!!

sarah707
21-11-2011, 06:16 PM
I am waiting for them to remember to tell me :D

Ripeberry
21-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Our school is not on strike. But one of the parents is a teacher and will be on the pickets whilst I look after her two from 7.30am until 2pm :rolleyes:

kellib
21-11-2011, 06:29 PM
I only have my son at school so shouldn't affect me too badly if it is closed, knowing his school we won't find out until next Tuesday :rolleyes:

WibbleWobble
21-11-2011, 06:32 PM
I am waiting for them to remember to tell me :D

me too....

mandy xxx

PixiePetal
21-11-2011, 06:57 PM
I thought I might get a call from ex mindee (who comes on insets) as mum is teacher and usually pickets.

we will see :rolleyes:

RachelE
21-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Our school hasnt told us yet - the head said the teachers dont have to tell him til the last minute.

I have warned all of my parents and advised them I spaces. ;)

Rachel x

miffy
21-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Our school has only said that they may have to close but I think that is because staff don't have to say until the day. That just means my parents will hope that school remains open or they will expect me to have their children last minute if needed.

Miffy xx

linzi133
21-11-2011, 08:24 PM
i mentioned it to my parents last week......not one of them realised there was a planned strike!

I mentioned it to them as I am not available for them!!! I am going to a pantomime with my LO!!! woo hoo!:clapping:

I said I would be available if they told me within 24 hours and they paid for their child's ticket...(I knew none of them would!) SO everyone has saidif the school is closed they will make other arrangements!
Wed is my day off!

mushpea
21-11-2011, 08:49 PM
I only have one schoolie at the moment and her mum never lets me knnow anything,, she told me friday that there was an inset day today but thats only because mindee said she wasnt back to school untill tuesday,, my children dont go to that school so if she dosent tell me then I am not aware of whats going on. generally tho she dosent ask me to have her on inset days and she is term time only so I suspect if they strike then she wont want me to have her anyway

The Juggler
21-11-2011, 10:12 PM
last time my dd's class was the only one open - she was NOT impressed :panic:

Helen Dempster
21-11-2011, 10:31 PM
I literally only found out about this today from mindees mum, saying she'd phoned the school re 30th to be told they may close the whole school that day. I replied "why what's happening on the 30th?" :blush: I didn't know anything about it! We've not had letters from the school yet either.

rickysmiths
22-11-2011, 11:54 AM
It doesn't affect me at the moment no before and after schools. Not heard about my ds school yet.

There will be more schools affected this time because more of the Unions are supporting the strike.

sillysausage
22-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Not sure what's happening at our local primary. Several of my parents are on strike but no-one so far has asked for extra hours. Currently it looks like I'll just have 2 LOs.

breezy
22-11-2011, 02:08 PM
none of the schools have told anyone anything round here yet :(

RachelE
22-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Oh dear - just found out that out of the 9 classes in our school - 3 are opening and 6 closing.

- guess which ones my dd and ds are in - one of the 3 opening! :( and the mindees classes are all closed!

I'm going to feel really bad taking mine in and then walking off with mindees! Dont think mine will be happy when they find out after school!

Going to enjoy the extra pennies though! ;)

Rachel x

uf353432
22-11-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm on standby for 2 kids that I have only space for one for. But the school hasn't even mentioned strike action. I rather suspect if they decide to tell us it will be 2-3 days after the event as is the way with our local school.

Normally if we are told anything with 24 hours notice we are to be grateful for the advance notice.

nipper
22-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Groan...guess what we've just had a letter (whole school is closed).

Cunning plan...Maybe I should update my poster advertising that I have spaces and put it over the top of the one on the school notice board!

gigglinggoblin
22-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Opposite problem for me, have just got a text asking if I will still charge as mum is off and can keep mindee. i want to say I wont if everyone is off as I would be happy to have a day with my big kids but cant decide if thats a really mean thing to do, parents will then know I have considered not charging.

rickysmiths
22-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Mine would have to still pay their normal daily fee if they did not send the child to me for the day or indeed if I didn't have room for them for the whole day because the term time only ones only use the before and after school places. Its not my fault the school is closed, I'm still open so they would be charged as normal and I wouldn't feel guilty about not having a child all day. If they pay for inset days and come in the holiday then I would feel I should have them if required.

Mrs Book
22-11-2011, 04:56 PM
nothing here from schools as of yet.

Trouble is if I don't have one mindee because mom decides not to bring her because siblings are off. Then College won't pay me as they don't pay for days students don't attend. :eek:

Mouse
22-11-2011, 05:04 PM
We had a letter on Friday (although DD only gave it to me today :rolleyes: ) saying that they can't say yet what's happening, but they're not planning on shutting the whole school. DD says her teacher isn't striking, so she's not happy!

gigglinggoblin
22-11-2011, 05:19 PM
I think I will text back and say I cant afford not to charge at this time of year, I suspect I will have at least one and dont want to work for £3 an hour!

Question - if a whole school is closing do they still pay the teachers who dont want to strike?

flowerpots
22-11-2011, 06:07 PM
just got our letter out of ds's book bag :( whole school closed. :rolleyes:

rickysmiths
22-11-2011, 06:38 PM
I think I will text back and say I cant afford not to charge at this time of year, I suspect I will have at least one and dont want to work for £3 an hour!

Question - if a whole school is closing do they still pay the teachers who don't
want to strike?

They do pay the teachers who don't strike even if the school is closed. The ones who are on strike don't get paid.

gigglinggoblin
22-11-2011, 07:29 PM
They do pay the teachers who don't strike even if the school is closed. The ones who are on strike don't get paid.

I was hoping that, feel a bit less guilty if I know parents are being paid (or can choose to not strike).

Daisy1956
22-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Still waiting for school to decide yet. I mentioned it to the parents who all seemed unaware that the school may close. Don't they watch the news?

yummymummy
23-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Just received an email from my daughter's High school saying as 68% of staff will be striking that the whole school will be closing down, seems that the Junior schools taking more time as would seem that if a particular form teacher not striking that class goes in, already had hysterics between 2 children in one family where one gets a day off and the other has to go in!

FizzWizz
23-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Great - just got my text from the school who have also decided to close which means I now have to entertain my DS (4) who is more trouble than the other three (1, 2, and 2) put together!! :panic:

Mollymop
23-11-2011, 04:22 PM
The strike happens to fall on my day off so a nice lovely lay-in with no school runs or requests for me that day! :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
23-11-2011, 04:28 PM
We still have heard nothing from the school at all - primary or secondary. The one and only letter we got from primary about 10 days ago just stated that it would probably 'last minute' before we got notified - when asked we were verbally told... oh Tuesday more than likely!:eek:

yummymummy
23-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Oh and just had a mum turn up whose child I collect from school on a Wednesday only and asked about what the school were doing re the strike. "Don't know" she said "don't think we've been told but it'll be your problem not mine"
If it wasn't for the fact I have the younger sibling all day anyway I would have had something to say about that!!:rolleyes:

rickysmiths
23-11-2011, 04:40 PM
The teachers don't have to inform the school until the day of the strike that they are going to strike so it can make it difficult to plan.

I can't blame the teachers though. They are being asked to make unreasonable changes to the Conditions of Employment that they signed up to some like my dh over 20yrs ago. The government is threatening to charge them more for their Pensions when they are part of a successful Pension scheme that pays easily for itself and is more than capable of supporting all their conditions including Final Salary pensions. It is a separate scheme, not not part of the rest of the Government schemes and the government have no right to 'raid' and change a system that has never been under their control anyway to subsidise their failing pension schemes.

If they are going to do that then Raid the Bankers bonuses and Pensions and outrageous payoffs as well. They belong to all of us after all.:thumbsup:

Oh and there were a large number of teachers who last time said or would have liked you to think they were on strike, but they were not and had a paid day off when the school closed. How hypocritical is that?

Pipsqueak
23-11-2011, 05:52 PM
The teachers don't have to inform the school until the day of the strike that they are going to strike so it can make it difficult to plan.

I can't blame the teachers though. They are being asked to make unreasonable changes to the Conditions of Employment that they signed up to some like my dh over 20yrs ago. The government is threatening to charge them more for their Pensions when they are part of a successful Pension scheme that pays easily for itself and is more than capable of supporting all their conditions including Final Salary pensions. It is a separate scheme, not not part of the rest of the Government schemes and the government have no right to 'raid' and change a system that has never been under their control anyway to subsidise their failing pension schemes.

If they are going to do that then Raid the Bankers bonuses and Pensions and outrageous payoffs as well. They belong to all of us after all.:thumbsup:

Oh and there were a large number of teachers who last time said or would have liked you to think they were on strike, but they were not and had a paid day off when the school closed. How hypocritical is that?

I hear what you are saying Ricky but tbh, frankly i don't really give a monkeys about the poor ickle teachers. Yes yes the majority of teachers are hard working, do a good job etc etc....

what I give a stuff about is me and mine and its different if you want or need to take your child out of school isn't it but its ok for the teachers to disrupt a childs learning and screw up a good majority of the parents in that school and spring stuff on them at the shortest of notice. what I give a stuff about is teachers not giving my child a proper chance or proper education and hiding behind claptrap.

yes yes - the recession is hitting us all and frankly let the teachers go and tell a solider how hard done by they are... let them go and tell some pensioner worried between choosing between food and heat this winter..... the bloated bankers, the, lets face it - got a job with not half bad pay teachers and all these big companies with bloated profits - my heart bleeds for them - really.

I don;t mean to cause an argument and of course you are entitled to your opinion, I know you will defend your husband being a teacher and all that and you are explaining it from that POV.....

Lady Haha
23-11-2011, 06:10 PM
I actually want the work if they strike, so I'm being crafty and not warning any of my parents til the last minute, so that they may not have time to arrange family or take the day off themselves :blush: ....... Will be texting them all on Tueday afternoon to say I'm available if they need me :littleangel:

kel1983
23-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Our school is closing for the day. I usually have 3 before and after on a wednesday so may well get a few extra. :clapping:

LChurch
23-11-2011, 08:47 PM
I have now got Wed free apart from an afterschooler who will still be in school but big sis won't be so she will pick up! I don't mind though! My ds is in but my dd isn't in as they are only closing the classes that are affected.

rosebud
23-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Both my children are off and I have text my two favourite families to say I have a space for them - is this wrong??? I don't really care .... I'm going to have a lovely day with lovely children and be paid extra for it.

gigglinggoblin
23-11-2011, 09:34 PM
I decided I would charge half if they dont attend so no one is coming and I get a lovely day with my two high school sons, got a letter from primary last week to say they werent closing so younger two will be in. Think cinema and retail therapy might be on the cards,younger two hate shopping so its ideal opportunity. And dh is on strike so can collect the little ones

:clapping: :clapping:

uf353432
23-11-2011, 10:19 PM
our local primary still hasn't informed us and preschool as well - not even sure where they stand. I have too many parents fighting for not enough spaces and will probably be scrabbling around tuesday night to make it work. Joy! Its not even that I want the cash to be honest - its a pretty busy day wednesday anyway!

Chatterbox Childcare
23-11-2011, 10:33 PM
I have just sent my invoices out with a polite note to ask who will want cover.

Chimps Childminding
24-11-2011, 07:34 AM
My own children are no longer at school, so in theory I don't know anything about it :rolleyes:

Gonna keep quiet (I always feel a bit awkward asking in case they think I am only after the extra money :blush: ) and then see if the parents of my 2 schoolies I have on a wednesday suddenly panic next week if our school is closed, they can then think I am wonderful if I can help out at short notice :) If school not closed, nice quiet day (well as quiet as it can be with a screamer :eek: )

boxtree7
24-11-2011, 07:37 AM
One of my mums a teacher and has just told she is planning a day shopping while i childmind !! Also just told me she left the her younder son in the house screaming becasue he wants to come to my house as his elest brother comes on a wednesday as the dad isn't in work today (can't understand why you would drop the older one to me at 7.15am when dad at home). Its not just schools on strike is it.

singlewiththree
24-11-2011, 07:43 AM
Opposite problem for me, have just got a text asking if I will still charge as mum is off and can keep mindee. i want to say I wont if everyone is off as I would be happy to have a day with my big kids but cant decide if thats a really mean thing to do, parents will then know I have considered not charging.

I have told a parent I won't charge if she keeps her children, 1 usually afternoons and 2 after schoolies which will bring my total down to 5 inc mine unless colleges strike too then I'm down to 4 :-)

rickysmiths
24-11-2011, 07:45 AM
One of my mums a teacher and has just told she is planning a day shopping while i childmind !! Also just told me she left the her younder son in the house screaming becasue he wants to come to my house as his elest brother comes on a wednesday as the dad isn't in work today (can't understand why you would drop the older one to me at 7.15am when dad at home). Its not just schools on strike is it.

No thats right its all Public Sector workers so some of them will be able to take care of their children won't they. Not so many parents will be having problems or forced to take a day off. They were talking on the radio this morning about how they plan to cover the Boarder Force staff at Ports and airports around the country. One day in how long our workers stand up for their basic rights and we get all this fuss?

Yet we have a plan of action that is used regularly as a matter of course when France goes on strike and we can't use our Channel Ports:rolleyes:

kellib
24-11-2011, 01:40 PM
I still haven't heard anything about my son's school, really will not be surprised if we don't find out until Tuesday!

It won't affect me minding wise I don't think as both mindees are babies, they do however have older school age siblings so I'm hoping if siblings are at home they might keep the babies at home too! :laughing:

fionamadcat
24-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Our school have said they might be off, on further quizzing of staff they are saying it is 99% certain. My issue is it is my 40th birthday and I don't really want to have the before schoolie that I normally have all day!! But will be working anyway and will get to spend the day with my kids and maybe my nieces too so will probably just say yes as I normally do!

Andrea08
24-11-2011, 02:19 PM
still no information from our schools its going to be very little notice...

MissTinkerbell
24-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Well I'm stuck - I only have 2 after schoolies - one is not with me at the moment because her dad is on leave until january. I work one day a week at preschool- which happens to be a Wednesday.

If I have mindee it means I lose a day's pay at preschool which is double what I would get for having mindee the extra hours. I should be able to take my own 3 along to preschool with me so thats not a problem. Going to have to tell mum that she will have to make her own arrangements for that day.

kellib
24-11-2011, 06:49 PM
We got told tonight, at parents evening, that the school will be closed.

ziggy
24-11-2011, 06:52 PM
i am over joyed to be getting the extra work at £3.50 per hour will help sort tax bill:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

miffy
24-11-2011, 09:54 PM
I have heard today (unofficially) that our family of schools will all be closing but nothing has been said by school yet - wonder when they will decide to let parents know! :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

louise
25-11-2011, 09:17 PM
I've found out that my ds and mindees school will be open. I'm hoping that one of you maybe able to help. He brought home a letter saying 'Governors and the Leadership Team have undertaken a risk assesment bearing in mind the number of staff who are working on this day. Governors feel the health and safety of pupils will not be compromised by this one day action'

So to me some teachers will be striking last time all 6 teachers striked, so will this be the same again? Also who will be teaching the children? I thought they weren't allowed to bring in supply, Mindees Mum a teacher said TAs aren't allowed to take the class so who will be teaching the 170 kids?

Thanks Lou x